ED64 Plus... my impressions. Any Owners around here?

Dogson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It doesn't work too (idk if that is correct beacose i used a modified version for ED64P). Saturnu said the flashram is emulated beacose uses the same locations as sram.
Flashram does however work with the clone OS included with the flashcart. Only recently learned about this project.
Now with the dawn of open source flashcarts and everything the sting of this being an Everdrive clone is less I suppose.

I just think it's great if the clones can fill their full potential some day rather than being forgotten or thrown away.
Excellent work! Good luck with the flashram issue. I might not know code, but I'll be testing altra64 thoroughly as I'm familiar with the issues between alt64 and the clone OS.

Some problematic games:

Smash Bros: can't save on alt64, saves on clone OS, saturnu implemented a smash bros save deletion code iirc
Majora's Mask, flashram (no flashram game saves other than this), owl statues won't work on alt64, song of time saves however.
DK64, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo Tooie: has to be the cracked versions of the roms (goodset [f1] dextrose intro versions, [f2] for DK64) (cracked roms have a dextrose intro screen) as saves otherwise can be randomly deleted by RARE's anti piracy code.
These cracked versions use CIC6102 instead, and SRAM)

F-Zero X: Always boots the expansion kit version if available unless you change CIC+save type for the regular game+hacks.
On Alt64 long game names and the use of folders (adding to path length) results in error resp 107, the file length issue has been fixed in altra64. That said altra64 still needs the cheat functionality of alt64 fixed as cheats enables causes the games to crash on boot.

64DD games do save on alt64 but not altra64, however it takes 7 or so minutes for 64DD to finish saving on ED64Plus.
F-Zero X expansion kit can be set to sram32 saving instead, that way it will save unlocks and track times instantly, it will skip saving things in the editor. If you set rom+sram as the saving type you can save custom tracks, however you'll have to wait through the very long 7+min saving time when you're done.

A few games have the wrong save type Super B-Daman Battle Phoenix only saves (you'd get stuck at name entry otherwise) if the save type is set to eeprom4k. A list of tricky save type games: https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1550.msg23127#msg23127 Just a matter of changing save type for the database there.

Last edited by Dogson,

Xalusc

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
Hello, everyone.
So apparently there's a new firmware that's an alternative to Altra64.

https://github.com/Polprzewodnikowy/N64FlashcartMenu

I haven't tested it yet or looked at the code to see how different it is.
Also, the readme says ED64P isn't supported yet, but the latest release includes an OS64P.v64 file.
Try it out at your own risk

Reactions: zfreeman

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
I made my own little fork of Altra64 with some stuff I felt was missing:
https://github.com/skawo/altra64

* Normally, altra64 will overwrite latest save even if you forgot to RESET the console. This can lead to you losing all your progress. Now whether the save is empty is checked and the save will not be written if it is.
* Adds nice splashscreen
* Rewrites a bunch of messages
* Adds an option to delete a save by pressing L and R simultaneously

Reactions: Elru and zfreeman

Xalusc

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I made my own little fork of Altra64 with some stuff I felt was missing:
https://github.com/skawo/altra64

* Normally, altra64 will overwrite latest save even if you forgot to RESET the console. This can lead to you losing all your progress. Now whether the save is empty is checked and the save will not be written if it is.
* Adds nice splashscreen
* Rewrites a bunch of messages
* Adds an option to delete a save by pressing L and R simultaneously
Not to be rude or anything, but doesn't Suprapote's fork include the changes you made in yours?

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe, I have not read this thread at all, to be honest.

My fork is older, though, I didn't just make this or anything. I guess that one is more fully featured now though.

Reactions: Elru and eyeliner

Dogson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hello, everyone.
So apparently there's a new firmware that's an alternative to Altra64.

https://github.com/Polprzewodnikowy/N64FlashcartMenu

I haven't tested it yet or looked at the code to see how different it is.
Also, the readme says ED64P isn't supported yet, but the latest release includes an OS64P.v64 file.
Try it out at your own risk
Read the updates and convos in there, planned support and an early test release. I tried it, it works as a menu, but won't load games yet. Definitely go and show support with likes and such I think to show there's people who wants this to further get developed.

Potential is there for flash saving support which altra64 doesn't do.

Here's a compiled list of issues with altra64 currently. https://github.com/ariahiro64/altra64/issues

erfico

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hi, do you have any news regarding the possibility of dumping gameboy camera with ED64P? I tried with gb64.z64 in all 3 versions which at least starts without a black screen it's only the v0.3 version. at first start it doesn't see the cartridge, at a second restart it shows me only the rom dump is available and not the ram dump, but the game obviously presents a lot of progress and photos. Did it work for any of you?

(It only happens to me with the game boy camera cartridge, the others works)

an alternative would be to take advantage of mario artist paint studio if a function to capture screenshots was present in Alt / Altra. there is?

Last edited by erfico,

Elru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
hi, do you have any news regarding the possibility of dumping gameboy camera with ED64P? I tried with gb64.z64 in all 3 versions which at least starts without a black screen it's only the v0.3 version. at first start it doesn't see the cartridge, at a second restart it shows me only the rom dump is available and not the ram dump, but the game obviously presents a lot of progress and photos. Did it work for any of you?

(It only happens to me with the game boy camera cartridge, the others works)

an alternative would be to take advantage of mario artist paint studio if a function to capture screenshots was present in Alt / Altra. there is?
Hello, I have the gb64 version that works with Gameboy camera

Elru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
can you share this version please?

what firmware do you have on the ed64p?
Yeah sure, no problem, i don't remember where i find this build but it works after one reset

I use the stock firmware for this (FW 1.16, OS 1.28a) but it should work on others

Attachments

• GB64 GB Camera support.zip
    721.8 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: zfreeman and erfico

erfico

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah sure, no problem, i don't remember where i find this build but it works after one reset

I use the stock firmware for this (FW 1.16, OS 1.28a) but it should work on others
ooh..works! thank you.I was trying every complex building. finally.

Reactions: Elru

erfico

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah now you can save every picture you take, i personally have an ig account where I upload those things
You're right, it's nice to see how the technical limitation of those pixels has unintentionally created a fascinating aesthetic today. however, before your convenient solution (apart from trying various Arduinos and then discovering that perhaps the connection cable didn't work) I had managed to take advantage of the modification of saving Mario's artist's paint, the bizarre thing is that the screen shows them correctly but at the moment When importing into the game, the photos were not imported faithfully but every 5 pixels there is a row of pixels that are not doubled. So basically to fit the game screen they had added about 20 pixels per side of the original photo and removed a piece of the side photo. they had crippled the photos to fit their screen XD this is so annoying

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can someone tell me if I can transfer my saves from my ed64plus flashcart to a everdrive64 x7 flashcart?

Snake_Swiss

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Is there any way to backup .fla saves from a ED64P, or put a save 100% of Majora's Mask on it (Who use FLASH save) for an example ?

Elru

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Can someone tell me if I can transfer my saves from my ed64plus flashcart to a everdrive64 x7 flashcart?
Surely yes, you have to identify the saves of each game you want in ed64p/saves and move them wherever they go on the everdrive X7

Is there any way to backup .fla saves from a ED64P, or put a save 100% of Majora's Mask on it (Who use FLASH save) for an example ?
The same answer as above applies to this

Reactions: jnl1

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks! Ordered a Everdrive 64 X7 now since my ED64plus sometimes doesn´t start after the reset and then my progress is not saved which is quite annoying after having completed a difficult or long section in a game...

jnl1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well my Everdrive64 X7 arrived today, I copied the Everdrive OS-V3.07 to the root of the SD card and then my saves from the ED64Plus (.eep-files and .sra-files) into ED64\save.
The save files have the exact names as the roms.
But somehow there is no save state when I start a game.
Why is that so?

EDIT: the everdrive saves have to be in "ED64\gamedata" and not in "save". Now it works!

Last edited by jnl1,
Reactions: Elru and hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Dem 🥜 s +1