ESRB to stop offering free ratings for digital-only games

2000px-esrb_ratings-svg_.png

For games that launch as digital-only in countries that use the ESRB ratings board, a free rating is given to them via their Short Forms process. However, once June rolls around, the ESRB plans to cease offering this. This will mostly affect independent developers that have games that are made on a low budget, as registering for an ESRB rating can cost $1000-3000 for them. There is a way to circumvent this, though, as digital games can still get a free International Age Ratings Coalition (IARC) rating, which is accepted on the Nintendo eShop, Microsoft Store, and Google Play Store. IARC ratings notably leave out the PlayStation Store, which still require games have an ESRB rating to be allowed to be sold on PlayStation systems.

:arrow: Source
:arrow: ESRB ToS

dude1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Esrb is a overrated waste of time & I'm surprised it hasn't died already
This should help that goal so guess it's a win win

It's been toothless forever as someone who grew up with the ESRB it didn't prevent me from buying or renting anything I wanted as a kid because it wasn't law.
if some uppity employee had a moral stance against it I would just go to another store or complain but realistically most of those people made minimum-wage and it wasn't worth the pain of me complaining to there boss/manager

Funny enough in some provinces some GTA's and I think a few other games got movie board ratings, because there were laws against selling those the kids.
Of course that didn't stop kids from buying them

There are some teen rated games, probably even some M rated games I would let my niece play on the flipside there are people who are in their 20s and 30s I wouldn't let play Grandtheft auto

Age is a stupid limiting factor to prevent someone from playing a game

it's an excuse not to parent, if you're a parent you know when your kids capable of handling certain issues, and anything that is remotely controversial gets mentioned in the review or a YouTube video or on Facebook etc.
Thankfully with this day and age being all about social media and other such nonsense people may be incentivized to let things like the ESRB die because they will care what their friends and friends of friends think of a peticular game etc.

Rant over
Tldr: no one cares ESRB
Keep your free ratings

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do digital games even have to have an ESRB rating? I thought that was only required to sell in stores. I thought lots of digital games still didn't have ratings.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
why would they need to pay someone to tell "heyy, there's blood and violence in this game" ? Developers can't write those words themselves on their game?
who decided that games needed a private company to put words on them to be sold ? another story of monopoly and politician corruption?

"this game has blood and sex" you need to be educated to understand that you can't let your 3 years old kid play it? just have some common sense before buying a game.
if the game shows "18+" it means one day before your birthday you can't bear the game, but at midnight you magically can ?
numbers are subjective and different for all peoples. common sense should have more impact than age written on your ID.

oh, and why did they decide 18+ ? shouldn't it be 21+ in USA?

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: TheDarkGreninja

SomeKindOfUsername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why would they need to pay someone to tell "heyy, there's blood and violence in this game" ? Developers can't write those words themselves on their game?
who decided that games needed a private company to put words on them to be sold ? another story of monopoly and politician corruption?

"this game has blood and sex" you need to be educated to understand that you can't let your 3 years old kid play it? just have some common sense before buying a game.
if the game shows "18+" it means one day before your birthday you can't bear the game, but at midnight you magically can ?
numbers are subjective and different for all peoples. common sense should have more impact than age written on your ID.

Payment is required for their employees and general upkeep, plus the cost is negligible for most publishers. That's where the International Age Rating Coalition came in, at least for digital only games, to eliminate the cost by letting the developer partially come up with the rating themselves. As for the ages, it was likely based off movie ratings.

Some people may not like it but it was either the ESRB, a self-regulating body comprised of the some of the biggest names in the video games industry, or government regulation and possibly intervention. Interestingly enough, gamers are suddenly clamoring for government regulation and intervention in regards to loot boxes. Ain't that something.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The usual scenario runs

*politicos*
Oh look the most traditionalist voter base is doing the *rabble rabble rabble* thing about some new thing the kids are into.

*politicos*
Hey [new thing the kids are into] industry. Don't make us come over there.

*[new thing the kids are into] industry*
Whoa it's OK we will set up our own self governing body.
Commonly also seen is a massive overreaction at this point

*politicos to traditionalist voters*
Look, we made the nasty [new thing the kids are into] industry shape up and be policed by themselves so it does not even cost you tax money, also no worries about free speech either. Go back to stroking your religious books lovingly and don't forget to vote.

We saw it with film. In the US this was the Hays code

With comics in the Comics Code Authority

Music wise it varies a bit as that comes and goes (music in and of itself has been around so long it can no longer be scary, subgenres on the other hand... Jazz, Rock n roll, metal, rap and more all had their time being blasted)
but if I am linking videos then Dee Snider and PMRC has to be done.

TV kind of went the reverse at times -- all those nice toy commercials in the 80s and 90s came more from a relaxing of such codes, though you can still get occasional gems in cartoons of that era (I did have an xmen animated series clip where it makes sure to spell out the sentinels were not a government thing as you can't be seen to go against them).

Reactions: ando2011 and Cyan

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

They have to pay because retailers force them to, that's it. Stores and companies partner up with the ESRB so they don't end up legally responsible for screwing up some kid by selling them "mature content" without some kind of warning beyond "WOW BLOOD AND GUTS, SUPER COOL! LOOK AT THESE 3D RENDERED TITS! AWESOME!" on the box. There's literally nothing stopping devs from releasing their game elsewhere or on their own, they just stick with the ESRB so they can sell their games in as many places as possible.

Also, the reason it's 18+ in the US is because it's at this point that you're considered "legally" an adult in the US (at least, in most states, I think 2 or 3 of them have the age higher). AFAIK there's not any kind of scientific basis on why it's 18, it's just because back in the 70s an amendment was added that changed the legal voting age to 18 instead of 21, resulting in most states deciding to lower the "legal" age to 18 as well.

I feel like a lot of people are kind of missing some things here though. The IARC is just a secondary way for digital games to be given an ESRB rating (and PEGI nd USK and GRAC etc etc ratings), automatically without any employee input required. This reduces costs for the ESRB (less workflow, fewer employees required), and allows small time developers to get their games a rating without having to wait for XYZ suits to judge and rate their game. IMO, it's a better system, so there's really no reason to have the short form available any more...which is why they're phasing it out, so people use the IARC instead. There's literally no reason for any backlash here, and it's not going to somehow result in "fewer digital games" like people apparently think because they literally just have to use the IARC questionnaire instead of submitting a short form to the ESRB. Literally nothing changes here beyond the process in which you get the rating. They're not forcing devs to use the paid, long form.

Reactions: Cyan

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's some misunderstanding here: Sony's quite open with Cross platforming. FFXIV is proof of this. Last it was heard, Micro$oft was saying "We'll gladly join in your game, presuming we have Datacenters exclusively for use for XBox users", hence trying to SCREW Cross platform.
A lot of games don't even take place on servers they own, they're just the gatekeepers. Pay for PSN/Live just so you're allowed to use the servers owned by someone else. it's annoying. But pretty much all cross platform games are supported by pc, nintendo, and microsoft, with sony going "nah man". I'm sure they're doing it because it makes fiscal sense to them, but it's still annoying.

Last edited by osaka35,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do digital games even have to have an ESRB rating? I thought that was only required to sell in stores. I thought lots of digital games still didn't have ratings.
As partially said by Tom above, rating is technically optional law-wise in most countries (except for some, highly known for the lack of government meddling into consumers' freedom like England and Australia) - and in a largely-the-same majority of countries they are not legally binding in the first place, but right a couple of years ago major digital stores (Google Play and Microsoft, to name two) gave their developers a month of warning to have their apps rated or removed

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Play Store doesn't use ESRB ratings anyway does it? You just set the rating yourself.
When you submit an app to the Play Store, you now have to fill out an IARC questionnaire which automatically generates the rating, and then applies the "region specific" rating for your app. You don't get to choose anymore.

So for the US, they're given an ESRB rating (like so). For European countries that follow the PEGI standard, they use PEGI ratings. If it's a country that has no official rating company, it's just a generic IARC rating.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
When you submit an app to the Play Store, you now have to fill out an IARC questionnaire which automatically generates the rating, and then applies the "region specific" rating for your app. You don't get to choose anymore.

So for the US, they're given an ESRB rating (like so). For European countries that follow the PEGI standard, they use PEGI ratings. If it's a country that has no official rating company, it's just a generic IARC rating.
Ah I see, yeah I think I did have to fill that out at some point as I got an email telling me I had to do it.
Even though my app isn't even a game... Is putting age ratings on non-game software normal? :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87 cents. Free shipping from China... It arrived it works and honestly I don't understand how it was so cheap.
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @BigOnYa, Lol I bought a new USB card reader thing on AliExpress last month for I think like 87... +1