Exclusive Anbernic RG353M retro handheld specs, pricing and launch details

rg353m banner.JPG

Retro handheld manufacturer has been teasing its next device, the RG353M, for some time already, even releasing an unboxing video a few days ago. While the device's naming convention suggests a return of the company's iconic metal shell and a RK3566 processor akin to other devices in the RG353 line, the exact specs details were not made public. However, a source close to Anbernic has shared those details with GBAtemp which you can see below:

rg353 specs.JPG

Of note, the handheld will support dual OS (Android and Linux) and come with built-in WiFi and Bluetooth. A new addition to Anbernic's devices is that the RG353M will integrate joysticks based on the Hall effect, akin to GuliKit's controllers and the AYANEO handheld PCs. Regarding the performance, it should be similar to the RG353P, meaning great emulation of N64 and Dreamcast, with the potential to emulate DS and PSP games but with title-dependent performance.

Regarding availability and pricing, GBAtemp's source also shares that there will be an early-bird launch price as soon as this week, on November 5th when the RG353M will retail for $135.99 (excluding shipping). After November 7th, the regular retail price will be $145.99. The company is also expected to host a sale on its other devices during this month.

The RG353M is looking to be more of an upgrade on the shell than the internals but Anbernic has released some compelling metal shell devices in the past and this could be a contender for an upgrade for the excellent RG350M.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
What is the best version of these devices (sub $150) with offset thumb sticks?
Depends on what you like to play. Right now the RG353P with JelosOS plays very well DS, N64, Doom, PS1 and everything below except the bSnes emulator.

If you need the PSP, no luck here, you better off with a PSP or Vita.

If you need PS2 or above, I don't know if there is a sub $150 option.

If you don't need N64 or DS, miyoo mini is cheaper and do the job.

Always check for the chipset, as there are many handhelds with same power but different price, shape and screen.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The problem with Anbernic is that while they make good quality stuff, they make -too much- stuff, they have a million consoles, a dozen form factors and layouts, and keep pumping out new models with minimal upgrades. And no sooner do you decide on a model to buy do they start teasing something slightly better, "coming soon".

Probably the Retroid Pocket 2+. It's both cheaper and more powerful then the 353 series.
Spring for the RP3, it's the same chipset as the RP2+, but everything else has been slightly upgraded: screen, casing, buttons, battery, overall hardware improvements. And the (optional) extra gig of RAM could improve performance, some day, maybe.
Okay disregard that, they just released a teaser for the Retroid Pocket 3+

It's the same shit they pulled with the 2/2+. Release a product then release a better version a month later. Leaving the suckers who bought the first version scratching their heads.

Now who does that remind me of... *cough*GBA*cough*GBA-SP*cough*DS*cough*DSLite*cough* something in my throat.

Last edited by Veho,

omgcat

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now who does that remind me of... *cough*GBA*cough*GBA-SP*cough*DS*cough*DSLite*cough* something in my throat.
if i recall correctly those systems were at least a year apart from each other, maybe even 2. not anywhere near as bad as 1 month lol.

BowelTheMovement

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you need PS2 or above, I don't know if there is a sub $150 option.
Yeah, there is yet any PS2 options sub $150, let alone sub $250.
The only practical way to even get close seems to be, at least IMO, to get a mini-pc or laptop that has the specs to run the emulator. That's a larger form factor than desired, but still granting better mobility than modding a phat-PS2 with a network adapter and connectors to an SSD or TF Card and adding a screen and a large power bank to fuel it.

Edit: And whilst the Retro Pocket 3+ seems like an answer, I already know from the ODIN compatibility chart that there are games that need about 6GB of RAM and is why people suggest the ~$400 Odin PRO 256GB. If only they had a Odin MAX 12GB RAM and 512GB SSD. But they seem focused on their Windows based unit "LOKI".

Last edited by BowelTheMovement,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Early reviews are in, and the consensus is this:

1. It's metal.
  2. It has Hall sensor thumbsticks.
  3. It's a bit expensive for the specs but hey, metal.
  4. Did we mention the Hall effect sticks?
  5. Very pocketable.
  6. Metal.
So, yeah. Might not be the best bang for buck out there, but it's quality. And metal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Wholesome @ Wholesome: hamburger