EZFlash Omega (GBA flash cart) in house at GBAtemp

ezflash_omega_header.jpg

The EZFlash team sent GBAtemp an EZFlash Omega to play with and it turned up this morning.
For those unaware the Omega is EZFlash's new GBA flash cart, one aiming to be the be all and end all of GBA flash carts. Initial impressions are that it could well be so, and even if not it will see you presumably able to play 99% of the GBA library with some fancy features in a fairly solid little cart. One that retailers are listing for around 40 Euros, 50 USD or 35 GBP.
The full review will cover all the troublesome games and properly put it through its paces but for now.

Out of the box
Mother 3 fan translation. Boots just fine in RAM.
Pokemon Emerald (game with real time clock). Clean ROM boots fine, saves clock as offset clock from onboard time and savestates/real time save works in it.
Various other games were tested, including a handful of prepatched games. Fine too.
Menu. Very very nippy, minimal boot times and all on a nasty little 8 gigabyte cart of the class 2 persuasion. Odd menu ordering system (possibly date related) but you can go up and down very quickly, and left and right skip pages. Otherwise simple enough.
SD slot. Moved to a friction slot rather than spring loaded used by the microSDHC version. Easy enough to insert and remove, even with my not so dainty finger. It is not impossible that you could miss the slot but it should not fall into the case if you do.
Build quality. The plastic moulding is a bit rough around the injection marks and insides but the outside finish is fine. A micrometer was fetched for the curious. Measurements taken about the thickest edge just before it dips for the sticker inlay (it is the furthest point from any support and where most would pinch it to flex).

<table><tbody><tr><th>Device</th><th>Measurement (mm)</th></tr><tr><td>Omega GBA size</td><td>1.337</td></tr><tr><td>Omega DS lite</td><td>1.213</td></tr><tr><td>Original EZ4</td><td>1.013</td></tr><tr><td>EZ4 microSDHC</td><td>0.926</td></tr><tr><td>EZ4 lite deluxe</td><td>1.168</td></tr><tr><td>EZ2</td><td>0.882</td></tr><tr><td>Motogp</td><td>1.254</td></tr></tbody></table>

All that said thickness is but part of the story when it comes to plastics and sheet goods. In function the Omega most resembles an original GBA cart case in that it slides together and is retained by clips once there. Do note this if you are swapping between the stock GBA size case and the DS lite size case.
Said sliding clips and mid line screw make for a far sturdier case than the sometimes maligned EZ4 microSDHC offering (no EZFlash reform to compare here). Fit and finish is otherwise pretty good, not necessarily jewellery grade but more than suitable and accurate where it counts.
The Omega lacks the "shoulders" of an original cart, as do all the others in its immediate line (the EZ2 has them) but otherwise fits fine in a GBA SP, original DS and was a bit stiff to get into an original GBA (possibly caused by differences in the alignment grooves/insets on the outside) but still worked.

PCB wise possibly a bit light with the solder paste in some places but no cold joints or anything likely to fall off, BGA looked fine as well under a loupe.
Chip numbers
Left to right in PCB shot below.
Spansion
71gl064a08bfw0b
0651bvb
china
http://www.datasheet.hk/view_download.php?id=1270277&file=0149\s71gl064aa0-0z_1304149.pdf
Possibly a menu/

xilinx
spartan
xc3s200a
ftg256agq1517
a5059562a
A FPGA from the main maker of such things. The 200K gate model should you be concerned about such matters.
https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds529.pdf

spansion
98ws512pe0fw003
748ppj40 g
malaysia
Possibly deprecated. A combined NOR and PSRAM chip.

Battery side
Windbond
25q16cvnig
https://www.winbond.com/resource-files/da00-w25q16cvf1.pdf
Small flash memory chip. Possibly the programming/data chip for the FPGA

Silver top chip designated y1 in mask.
p24 54m 1603
Unknown

Under battery
8563s
Real time clock chip most likely
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/data-sheet/PCF8563.pdf

8514n
unknown 2 pin device

3bqd
3 pin device
Unknown
v1 on solder mask

battery
Blocked by tab
3v
12.25mm
0.25mm inc cover and separator
1220 is most likely size. Maybe Duracell CR1220.

Pictures
Click to enlarge
box_shot.JPG cart_comparison.JPG omega_in_case.JPG omega_inside_case.JPG omega_pcb_1.JPG omega_pcb_2.JPG

You can see some videos, including those of the menu, from EZFlash's own teaser thread. They mirror what we saw in this initial test.

Official Usage guide
http://www.ezflash.cn/omega.html
EZFlash product homepage
http://www.ezflash.cn/product/omega/

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
They mentioned it in the very thread for the second video released
https://gbatemp.net/threads/we-made-some-videos-please-check-it-out.497600/
Also yes it had RTC support when I tried it earlier.

Unknown actually.
The reason such things tended to fail was because the game was not the default thing presented (unlike some of the older NOR stuff where it could effectively be that) and if the save was accessed via SRAM protocols (as opposed to the Flash ones it expected and was programmed to use, or for some non pokemon games it could have been EEPROM or another type of SRAM.) then it would not respond as expected and the process would fail.
This is why you tended to have to patch the game pulling the saves/checking the carts ( https://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/rom-hacks/download-pokepatch-4-2-f27240.html ), something which I am not sure anybody ever did for the GC pokemon on a big screen games, or indeed any other GC game with similar functionality.
Technically the Omega could do that (with their nice little FPGA I don't doubt at all that they could have a flag tell it to force a given serial/header into the cart and save into memory) but I don't think it has been done. I also lack the means to test anything other than the DS game and would rather not have to mod chip my GC for this.

For the most part I would still say you are better off sourcing the relevant games (they are not that bad price wise) and a means to throw saves around between emulators, flash carts and such like however you will. That or getting to and doing on the modding the GC/DS games front.
I already have the Pokemon Games I'd want to use with the Gamecube games and I can just inject the GBA 'mons into the DS games if necessary. I was hoping for an all-in one solution so I don't have to bring so many game cartridges around with me and not pay $100 for an Everdrive just for Gamecube compatibility.

I'd offer to mod your Gamecube for you just so you could find out for me. But shipping out your console might be too expensive.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
(pokemon question) - Does palpark work with this or older models, without codes/patches for the ds games?

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have any of the Pokemon games to test, so I can't verify any of that. However the RTC works in Boktai. Sorry I can't give more info on tie-in games. EZ-Flash seems to be having some issues with NOR and power draw which they say they're working on. Honestly, though, I have no use for NOR at this point. The 32MB PSRAM has been more than enough for me.

There is also some talk about working on the direct save to improve the compatibility. I know that previously EZ4 patched games are hit and miss--The Legend of Zelda The Minish Cap with EZ4 patches will say fail to save-- and non-EZ4 patched romhacks--similar with at least a Boktai romhack that I stitched together however Prof 9's works fine RTC and saves. I presume this has to do with the save auto detect, so I'll probably toy with that more to see if manually setting it will work around it. Your best bet, though, is really to just use clean roms where possible unless you're adventurous or someone else verifies they work.

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
Copying a game to nor through gba explorer on a ds bricked my reform (well not a full brick but it can’t be used anymore loading roms from sd card only writing to nor from a ds) Should gba explorer be avoided on this card too? It seems to overwrite the cards kernel completely.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd avoid using gba explorer on anything that's not a pure-nor cart. Like you say, you have a high probability of overwriting the card's firmware/kernel/whatever. I am curious, though, if gba explorer could restore the kernel/firmware/whatever if you had a good copy. The real issue is that the kernel on EZ4/EZ form is, AFAIK, not something you're supposed to ever update so no one but EZ-Flash would likely have a copy and it's likely to be keyed to revisions. So, maybe they'd know how to unbrick it?

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does it have lower power comsumption? my reform drains my original gba without backlight in just 2 hours.
No reform here to test with but I thought I would give it a go.
Test setup
Original GBA. Cheapo zinc-chloride AA batteries.
Shoved a bit of paper between one of the terminals and a battery. Attached a wire to each side of the paper and my ammeter between the two.
For the really curious
ez_omega_power.JPG

Game of choice. Minna no soft tetris, mainly as I have an original version here. Same volume, same GBA, my personal rip of that ROM (not that there are any v1.1 or whatever versions) where applicable, just letting blocks drop in the main mode default settings and observing for a little while. The song it plays is a bit random but should not trouble things here.

Results. All measurements in A as my piece of junk meter is only fused for 200mA and I would rather not replace a fuse today.
Original game cart.
0.10, 0.11 at times.
I did also try my motoGP game. Marginally less at times, other times (menus rather than the game proper which surprised me) a bit higher.

EZ4 miniSD (my long suffering 512MB miniSD in it)
spiked to 0.14 when writing to PSRAM
0.12 in game

EZ4 microSDHC (closest I have to a reform, same 8 gig class 2 from the Omega tests and used also in omega test below)
0.13 writing
0.15 game

EZ Omega
Somewhere between 0.22 and 0.20 in the game, second boot and beyond seemed to be less. Clean mode both occasions.
Omega. The stock firmware it came with, the EZTeam have provided me with later firmwares and are working on the power issues but they are not on my cart yet.
In menu 0.15, 0.17, 0.18
There is a problem with the NOR right now but they are working on that.
Tried boot with addons and there was a massive spike. I managed to lose power at that point (should use more than wires twisted around my fine tip multimeter probes, though it might have also been over current -- my bench supply is out of action so I first tried to power it from a wall wart but all those I had around 3V were pretty wimpy in the current department which saw similar behaviours even on a cart less GBA) and got an error 3 when trying next time. Will have to sort that and try again.

So yes the Omega does seem to be a bit of a thirsty fish. Leaving it in the menu the draw crept up as well, and had spikes from time to time.
Double current draw would at least half your play time, possibly more as more current tends to lead to greater voltage drop. Will keep an eye on it as the kernels roll in.

Phukkitt

Trophies
XP
Country
Why is it called Moms?

That's the Swedish word for it.

Unnecessary additional info:

It's simply an abbreviation for "mervärdesomsättningsskatt" which has kind of become its own word. The same abbreviation is used in Danish (meromsætningsafgift) and Norwegian (merverdiomsetningsavgift) so it's not a uniquely Swedish word.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
No reform here to test with but I thought I would give it a go.
Test setup
Original GBA. Cheapo zinc-chloride AA batteries.
Shoved a bit of paper between one of the terminals and a battery. Attached a wire to each side of the paper and my ammeter between the two.
For the really curious
View attachment 119570

Game of choice. Minna no soft tetris, mainly as I have an original version here. Same volume, same GBA, my personal rip of that ROM (not that there are any v1.1 or whatever versions) where applicable, just letting blocks drop in the main mode default settings and observing for a little while. The song it plays is a bit random but should not trouble things here.

Results. All measurements in A as my piece of junk meter is only fused for 200mA and I would rather not replace a fuse today.
Original game cart.
0.10, 0.11 at times.
I did also try my motoGP game. Marginally less at times, other times (menus rather than the game proper which surprised me) a bit higher.

EZ4 miniSD (my long suffering 512MB miniSD in it)
spiked to 0.14 when writing to PSRAM
0.12 in game

EZ4 microSDHC (closest I have to a reform, same 8 gig class 2 from the Omega tests and used also in omega test below)
0.13 writing
0.15 game

EZ Omega
Somewhere between 0.22 and 0.20 in the game, second boot and beyond seemed to be less. Clean mode both occasions.
Omega. The stock firmware it came with, the EZTeam have provided me with later firmwares and are working on the power issues but they are not on my cart yet.
In menu 0.15, 0.17, 0.18
There is a problem with the NOR right now but they are working on that.
Tried boot with addons and there was a massive spike. I managed to lose power at that point (should use more than wires twisted around my fine tip multimeter probes, though it might have also been over current -- my bench supply is out of action so I first tried to power it from a wall wart but all those I had around 3V were pretty wimpy in the current department which saw similar behaviours even on a cart less GBA) and got an error 3 when trying next time. Will have to sort that and try again.

So yes the Omega does seem to be a bit of a thirsty fish. Leaving it in the menu the draw crept up as well, and had spikes from time to time.
Double current draw would at least half your play time, possibly more as more current tends to lead to greater voltage drop. Will keep an eye on it as the kernels roll in.

Oh dear. I was all aboard the Omega hype train. But double the power draw of an original game? That's a deal breaker for me. Please let us know if any firmware updates make any significant changes. I'm on the lookout for a new GBA flashcard, but the Everdrive is looking good now - it has a similar power draw to an original game.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear. I was all aboard the Omega hype train. But double the power draw of an original game? That's a deal breaker for me. Please let us know if any firmware updates make any significant changes. I'm on the lookout for a new GBA flashcard, but the Everdrive is looking good now - it has a similar power draw to an original game.
This is definitely also a deal breaker for me too. I want to use this on a Gameboy Micro which has a tiny battery as it is. This cart on top would kill the battery life very quick.

Reactions: Friendsxix

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would place the power draw at the feet of the FPGA. Many of the older carts tested above used a CPLD, a lesser device as far as programmability but usually better on power consumption.

Clock chips are nothing terribly power hungry.
From a datasheet of one it might be on the cart, and if not it is a contemporary device and they are all much of a muchness really
Screenshot_2018-04-06_02-18-17.png

Mechanical clock mechanisms like hobbyists put in clocks are often quite power draining. You might have heard of that before.
Back on the chip it is all enough that you probably want a battery rather than a supercap for a flash cart type usage scenario, and if it was like the older devices which used a battery to sort your saves (either fully or just until next boot) then it is even more of a concern but for this I doubt it. Maybe if the battery is being charged all the time then it could affect it but I am not sure they went with such a thing for this one.

If it is indeed the FGPA then the EZTeam do indeed have a chance to sort it (the thing about them being programmable is you can redo your code/design to maybe use a bit less juice).

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I would place the power draw at the feet of the FPGA. Many of the older carts tested above used a CPLD, a lesser device as far as programmability but usually better on power consumption.

Clock chips are nothing terribly power hungry.
From a datasheet of one it might be on the cart, and if not it is a contemporary device and they are all much of a muchness really
View attachment 119756

Mechanical clock mechanisms like hobbyists put in clocks are often quite power draining. You might have heard of that before.
Back on the chip it is all enough that you probably want a battery rather than a supercap for a flash cart type usage scenario, and if it was like the older devices which used a battery to sort your saves (either fully or just until next boot) then it is even more of a concern but for this I doubt it. Maybe if the battery is being charged all the time then it could affect it but I am not sure they went with such a thing for this one.

If it is indeed the FGPA then the EZTeam do indeed have a chance to sort it (the thing about them being programmable is you can redo your code/design to maybe use a bit less juice).

yeah such as implementing an efficient IRQ system that relies on wait for (some hardware) to interrupt, that saves battery time. I can vouch for this

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@FAST6191 - Have you had any issues with memory card corruption? My test SAVER folder has 167 entries, and I think that's causing times to save to take a good bit longer than the stated 2-3 seconds. With a lot of testing, it seems that if the SAVER folder is near empty, there's virtually no chance of corruption even if you reset pretty quickly.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Other than the power down during my current draw tests then not so far. I tend not to save and run off for dinner though.

Saver folder wise I have not plied it with hundreds of ROMs yet but it has a fair few (from the start it had my fairly well loaded, and probably fairly fragmented, one from my EZ4 in it). I could see it being slightly longer, more games certainly changing how things play out before and it being reasonable to imagine it also being a thing here. I will probably have to film my timing tests though as "feel" wise I am still trained from however many years now it is from the EZ3 on up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it