Hacking fail0verflow releases coldboot exploit proof of concept

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Even if all gbatemp user hacked their 3ds that wouldn't even be 1% of all 3ds so it don't change much on sales
Even if that is the case. Consider how fast homebrew / hacking spreads when it reaches a stage of piracy. Really wildfire which does serious damage on a lot of fronts. For the record. I am pro emulation and all that. But piracy is something the Nintendo Switch does not need at this point of time. Nintendo is doing well and that been a really long time coming really. I for one would like to Nintendo benefit from that momentum just a bit more before the gates to piracy open.
And I say that with all the love I have for gaming and emulation.

I would not like a world in which Nintendo became a new SEGA, and that is no offence to SEGA really.
Nintendo is and should forever be a synonym for gaming.

Stating piracy does not make a dent ... well I think you really don't have a few on losses they deal with.
It's not only the loss of sales on software at that point. But also companies might withhold support because of that and so on.

PS: My opinion, not looking for the whole piracy pro / against talk really. Agree with it disagree either way is fine.

MushGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if with coldboot, we could have access to homebrew, even after updating. I mean, it worked with 3DS and Wii U.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They might as well just change their name to tease0verflow

Or Team OverFail, would work, they've done nothing but give cockteases :lol: I have way more faith in seeing future firmware exploits than seeing a release from these guys.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

CuriousTommy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if with coldboot, we could have access to homebrew, even after updating. I mean, it worked with 3DS and Wii U.

I remember hearing from the presentation that the bootrom can also be updated too. So I would assume no, but I would like to hear an actual confirmation from fail0verflow.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this was precipitated by TX letting the cat out of the bag on a bootloader bug/exploit that allows for the early seize of the system processes.

Since they revealed it, f0f also revealed this. The presentation is identical and they are just trolling with the formating/music, a shot across the bow so to speak.

And now it will get patched in new hardware at factory because everyone will now know about this exploit, including Nintendo (and f0f even told them from where they were saying 'hello'). And, I think that was why people in the scene were unhappy with TX (and the warez/piracy as well obviously) because a quick cash grab from TX leads to a permanent loss of a bootloader bug in the long term.

Basically pissed away one of the rarest and most valuable bugs not even a year into the console's life where it can be fixed fairly rapidly.

Last edited by V-Temp,

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its no different then someone reporting it to Nintendo for a quick buck though lol.

The point would have been that no one would have reported it or revealed for a couple of years or more, allowing the system to mature and potentially the bug to persist into a revision.

That's basically all been flushed down the toilet now for a quick buck.

Tools don't even exists yet to make use of it, by the time they do the above as I outlined would have likely been far closer and more tangible. Now... /shrug

Last edited by V-Temp,

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The point would have been that no one would have reported it or revealed for a couple of years or more, allowing the system to mature and potentially the bug to persist into a revision.

That's basically all been flushed down the toilet now for a quick buck.

Tools don't even exists yet to make use of it, by the time they do the above as I outlined would have likely been far closer and more tangible. Now... /shrug
on the other side it means a lot more people will have access and be able to get a jump on how the system works and to potentially find even better exploits

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sixteenth
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Also it was literally out of a kilo when I got it off the boat so absolutely pure
    Holy shiz that's a lot
    +1
    I was getting 3.5 Grams for 320 could have stepped on it and doubled my money easy lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd be afraid to it nowdays, my heart would explode prob. I just stick beers n buds nowdays.
    I would get to drive from tarpon springs to like Miami a thousand bucks lol do that twice a week and back in 92 that was good money
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa,
    @Psionic Roshambo what are you guys talking about?
    Blew it on women and muscle cars lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty Hamster food, its pricey nowadays to keep PCs running.
    +2
    I don't do anything except cigarettes and gotta stop eventually lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd do shrooms again if could find, and I was outside camping/fishing, and had a cooler full of beer.
    +1
    I wouldn't mind some LSD, laughing until my face hurt sounds fun lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You ever try soaper powder/qauludes? I did once and like a dumbass drank beer on top of taking, I woke up laying in my backyard in the pouring rain, it knocked me out. I have not seen it around in many many years.
    +1
    No never tried a lot of things but never that lol
    I did pass out one time on a floor after taking a bunch of Ambien lol thought it would help me sleep and did it lol
    Girlfriend was working at a pharmacy and stole like 500 of them, was and still is the biggest pill bottle I have ever seen lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ativan is pretty legit
    +1
    The last time I had to take something to help me sleep, I was prescribed Trazadone it was pretty OK to be honest.
    Not something I need at all these days, doing a lot better lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That Nuka Cola video with old ice grinder is cool, I want one.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, ANSWER HIS DAMN QUESTION
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm good, how r u, sorry playing Starfield, n have tablet by me on chat, but was exploring a planet
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm good, how r u, sorry playing Starfield, n have tablet by me on chat, but was exploring a planet