Favourite Book?

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My two favorites are both romance novels written by Francine Rivers, a Christian author. The first one I read is called Redeeming Love, a Hosea-based story set during the gold rush. The other is The Masterpiece. a modern story about a famous artist and a single mother, both with terrible pasts. I recommend both to anyone looking for a good read.

I believe you would love the work of Carlton Mellick III. Author of greats such as Satan Burger, Electric Jesus Corpse, The Baby Jesus Butt Plug, The Haunted Vagina, Razor Wire Pubic Hair, and I Knocked Up Satan's Daughter.

caipora

cheese eating lactose intolerant
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
• One Hundred Years of Solitud - Gabriel García Marquéz
• The Joys of Motherhood - Buchi Emecheta
• Sand Captains - Jorge Amado
• Latin America Open Veins - Eduardo Galeano
• Torto Arado (no translation for this one) - Itamar Vieira
• Memórias Póstumas de Brás Cuba (no idea how this one is called in english) - Machado de Assis
• Carandiru Station - Dráuzio Varella
• Black skin, white masks - Frantz Fanon (this one isn't literature)
• A Noite dos Ruminantes (no idea how's it called in english²) - José J. Veiga
• Quarto de Despejo (you guessed it) - Carolina de Jesus

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
This one was a trip and a half.

body rides.png

romanaOne

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds.

Combines the best of hard science fiction and space opera in yet another treatment of the Fermi Paradox. (See Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter if you want more Fermi Paradox written by authors who understand physics beyond 8th grade.)

Most space opera sweeps science under the rug for the sake of storytelling. This book does a better-than-average job of both keeping the science sane--no transporters, no FTL travel, and extremely limited use of technology advanced enough to be indistinguishable from magic--AND the story compelling.

I don't usually read books more than once but this one I've read 3 times over the last 10 years.

shadowheart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds.

Combines the best of hard science fiction and space opera in yet another treatment of the Fermi Paradox. (See Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter if you want more Fermi Paradox written by authors who understand physics beyond 8th grade.)

Most space opera sweeps science under the rug for the sake of storytelling. This book does a better-than-average job of both keeping the science sane--no transporters, no FTL travel, and extremely limited use of technology advanced enough to be indistinguishable from magic--AND the story compelling.

I don't usually read books more than once but this one I've read 3 times over the last 10 years.
I read the short description, it looks quite intriguing. I was just looking for something to read, recently finished reading a series of books on Dune. As far as I understand, Revelation Space is a fantasy of a completely different level, which is quite interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.

mr_lunar_magnet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A History of Wild Places by Shea Ernshaw was a pretty great read. I read it probably a year or so ago but when I did read the book it was cover to cover.

City of Thieves by David Benioff also was a book that recently had me wanting to constantly get back to finish it.

WhisperingShadow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first book that immediately comes to my mind is 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman. Of course, there are plenty of other great books, but for some reason, I can't quite recall the titles at the moment.

• Love
Reactions: anjanimal

thehawksfuckingdead7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
This Blinding Absence of Light by Tahar BEN JELLOUN. I read it in french and it was An Experience. For those who'd like to know about the infamous moroccan prison Tazmamart check this book. It's a little bit heavy but it's a good read.

heatnikki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Life of Pi by Yan Martel. It is one of the best books I've read and I want to write essay about this book. I've already found essay writer service at https://www.customwritings.com to help me with that task. They can easily help with any writing online at competitive price. I think it's ok to use custom papers help when it comes to writing.

Last edited by heatnikki,

Junkyness

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Great choice with "Way of the Kings"! Sanderson weaves an epic tale. Personally, I'm hooked on "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a rollercoaster of emotions, but it's totally worth it! However, my favorite of all time must be Bridgerton books. They're intriguing and romantic. Happy reading!

Last edited by Junkyness,

splaca

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Deciding on a favorite overall is a daunting task, but I can tell what book has been my most cherished in recent years: A Wizard of Earthsea, by Ursula K. Le Guin. A fantasy with a very unique flavor, I find it meditative, creative, and simply beautiful. It is the first in a series of books that the author has written over the course of decades.

(I've also heard that her sci-fi stuff is really good, which I plan to check out on soon.)

Funnily enough, what prompted me to read this book is the generally very frowned-upon Ghibli film Tales From Earthsea, which vaguely adapts a mishmash of elements from various Earthsea books. So even when a Ghibli film is "bad" it can still do me something good, I guess :lol:

Reactions: sarkwalvein

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel