• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

FIFA World Cup 2018 Megathread

Who do you think will win FIFA World Cup 2018?

• Argentina

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • Belgium

Votes: 15 3.2%
  • Brazil

Votes: 49 10.3%
  • England

Votes: 38 8.0%
  • Germany

Votes: 135 28.4%
  • France

Votes: 19 4.0%
  • Portugal

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • Russia

Votes: 21 4.4%
  • Spain

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • (Other)

Votes: 123 25.8%

• Total voters

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
WC2018 matches: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/
World cup 2018 starts on June 14th in Russia with the first game Russia vs Saudi Arabia.
Who do you support?
Who do you think will win?

PLEASE NOTE: if you don't like football / soccer please simply do not post in this thread.
Nobody wants to see your "football/soccer sucks" comments. You have been warned.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sucks that Ireland didn't make it this year. Only hope is that France makes it longer than UK.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, nobody stands out for me at the moment! Belgium have a strong team but I can see them choking easy like in the Euro's. Germany aren't playing, but they always seem to save themselves for a tournie, you can never write them off, so I THINK my vote goes for them at the moment.
England?! Ha!! :rolleyes:

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I guess it won't be Italy /s

Now, I hope it won't be Germany.
I am starting to hate when Germany wins it.
I think quite probably it will be Germany.

Regarding Argentina... it shouldn't be even in the list, given how shitty it has been playing lately (as in for two years at least already).

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: x65943

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I forgot to mention, of course I will support Argentina, that's my team. And after it gets eliminated in the group stage I guess I will support Spain and then Brazil.

I still think it's a pity Italy won't play this time around.

(this is a shameless bump dressed as a double post)

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I see a lot of people voting for Germany in the polls...You would have to take into consideration though that for the last few tournaments during recent years, the winners of the previous tournament always performed poorly/got knocked out during group stage.

At any rate, since my favorite team, Italy, didn't even qualify, I would have to go for for my second favorite, Japan, but then again they sacked their coach earlier this month, two months before the beginning of the tournament; so god knows what's going to happen to them now...

P.S. Thanks @Costello for adding that warning at the end...Too many times have I seen these anti-football/soccer trolls on this forum.

Last edited by hiroakihsu,

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I honestly don't care as much about soccer. Sadly, lots of people over here do. And they do it loudly. So, whoever wins this time, I personally hope my country gets kicked out of the World Cup asap, so I get to sleep properly during the nights.

sarkwalvein

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I honestly don't care as much about soccer. Sadly, lots of people over here do. And they do it loudly. So, whoever wins this time, I personally hope my country gets kicked out of the World Cup asap, so I get to sleep properly during the nights.
I must say they are also very annoying, specially if you were an Argentine living in Germany during 2014... Sure they didn't stop the jokes for, what was it... months?

Well... I am sure a German in Argentina would probably have got the same if the case was inverted, so I guess I just hate extreme football fanaticism. That's life.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Germany always have a good squad, they are serious and rarely lose against smaller teams. They can sometimes fail against bigger teams, depending on events in the game.

This time, I'm voting for Brazil. They have several world class players and a good coach, as well as a strong squad in all departments.

I will of course be supporting France, my country, but I think their chances are limited. They could reach the 1/4s probably, but beyond that it'll have to depend on sheer luck, because I don't think they are inherently superior to the others.

D

Deleted User

Lots of votes for germany
Im not big on the sport since the most experience i have is being used as a human sheild in middle school so idk what makes people vote for which team
But i assume germanys pretty good since it has the most votes and its the only team i hear about
Also
"Nobody wants to see your "football/soccer sucks" comments. You have been warned."
Soccer is just abunch of skiny dudes chasing a ball around
Miss me with that gay shit /s

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm not into soccer (seriously why seems that to be a common thing for germans here in this forums judging from the (small amount of) posts in this thread?), but I'm curious if Costello forgot a team in this list or if the high amount of "(Other)" votes comes from people from various places who hope there team wins ("(Other)"-votes mainly beeing for one team vs beeing a collection of many teams) :unsure:

Soccer is just abunch of skiny dudes chasing a ball around
Miss me with that gay shit /s
To be fair if this gay shit would have been the most played sport in your country back in your middle school days you wouldn't have experienced beeing used as a human-shield ;) (here take this comma "," and place it in the last sentence where you want :P)

Last edited by VitaType,

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not into soccer (seriously why seems that to be a common thing for germans here in this forums judging from the (small amount of) posts in this thread?), but I'm curious if Costello forgot a team in this list or if the high amount of "(Other)" votes comes from people from various places who hope there team wins ("(Other)"-votes mainly beeing for one team vs beeing a collection of many teams) :unsure:

To be fair if this gay shit would have been the most played sport in your country back in your middle school days you wouldn't have experienced beeing used as a human-shild ;) (here take this comma "," and place it in the last sentence where you want :P)
Completely agree. American Football is a very dangerous sport that causes a neurodegenerative disease very similar to Alzheimer's, but with a much earlier onset.

Soccer is safer and cheaper. You don't need hundreds of dollars of pads to play. Just a ball and some rocks to mark the goal line. The ease of play and relative safety are the reasons soccer is the international ball game and not American football.

Reactions: DarthDub

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT