OP
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
u7XNrQu.jpg

Nintendo's new game, Fire Emblem Fates (known as Fire Emblem If in Japan) will introduce same-sex marriage to the popular series, Nintendo confirmed today.

Nintendo said:
We can confirm that Fire Emblem Fates for Nintendo 3DS, which launches in Japan on June 25, 2015, and is coming to the U.S. and Europe in 2016, includes the possibility for a same-sex marriage to take place between the main character created by the gamer and another character in the game.

Fire Emblem Fates comes in two different versions, called the Conquest and Birthright editions. In the U.S., Conquest and Birthright will both be sold separately, as is already the case in Japan. For those who have purchased either the Conquest or Birthright edition, a third edition will be made available as downloadable content at a later stage. Details on how the three storylines will be made available in other regions will be announced at a later date.

In the Conquest edition of the game, there is a male character that the game's player may have his/her male main character marry after they bond in battle. Similarly, the Birthright edition features a female character that a female main character may marry after bonding in battle. Both of the aforementioned characters can be encountered in the third edition of the game.

In Fire Emblem Awakening, players could marry a character of the opposite sex if their battle ranks became high enough, and they could eventually produce children. This is basically the same system, except, y'know, no children.

To sum it up, the Conquest edition of the game has a male character whom a male player can marry, and the Birthright edition has a female character whom a female player can marry. A third edition of the game, which Nintendo has kept quiet about (though it is rumored to be paid DLC), will include both the male and female main characters in question.

To clarify, opposite-sex marriage still exists in the game with other characters; Nintendo is just opening up the possibility for same-sex marriage with specific characters.

What do you think about this? Obviously this is Nintendo's way of "making it up" to LGBT communities after same-sex marriages were not allowed in Tomodachi Life. I personally see no problem with it. I feel the player should be able to make these kinds of choices without being restricted by the game.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by endoverend,

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No straight marriage unless you buy the 3rd version of the game wtf? Nintendo you just lost a sale! I refuse to buy any game that forces that type of stuff on people.

Last edited by chartube12,

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonderful! It's nice to see Nintendo finally stepping out of their comfort zone to support something relatively controversial.

I'm very happy to see the medium continue to be accepted in more and more games as of late, I really hope the trend continues to other platforms of games.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Will the next game allow polygamy then? That's all I want in a game, I want to create my own harem. ='(
How come there are so many few games where I can make my very own harem? Dx

That third version they mentioned, I'm guessing it's the one that will include both versions of the game and the one that would be released in the west (at least from what I understood of their first direct).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D