Gaming Firefox 13 has some changes actually worth noting to users.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If the RAM usage annoys you so much, there are add-ons out there that really improve the RAM usage. I've got one (Memory Fox), that you can enable by clicking the button and it REALLY does a lot of 'damage'. I've seen it reduce my 700MB process too 200MB or even less.
I must say the browser doesn't work as smooth then, but that's only logic.

I only use it at times when I really need my 4GB RAM, but it does it's job wonderfully.

memoryfox don't do shit, i uninstalled that crap a long time ago, also i must be in the majority then because my version of firefox is still on version 4.0 i haven't upgraded since then and i doubt that will change, when i get a new pc i don't think i will be reinstalling firefox on it, will be using chrome instead.
Than why does it make such an impact on my PC? I just said it works wonders.... On version 13 at least, maybe not on 4 because of compatability issues?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Every country has it's ups and downs and I'm not judging over something that happened like ~300 years ago?
That was my point, we're talking about Firefox 13, not Firefox 1.

Also the one thing I hope they don't keep is the "new" download manager. In an attempt to make the ecosystem more contained, they managed to clutter it even more with that.
You are talking about something later than stable for this, right?

my version of firefox is still on version 4.0 i haven't upgraded since then and i doubt that will change
http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html
Enjoy your 45 critical-level security vulnerabilities.

Holy crap man, how many tabs do you use, and what sites? I never see above 300-350MB in heavy use, let alone at start.

The tab thing is just that they are not initialized at launch if they are not used.
They are loaded when enabled to speed the launch process.
I guess it will help with my memory problem as I always load all the tabs at once with session manager. Now only the one I visit will have active content which can create memory leak.
I didn't notice unused tab going in an unloaded state yet.
Hm, it may have been when loading previous tabs, yeah.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Every country has it's ups and downs and I'm not judging over something that happened like ~300 years ago?
That was my point, we're talking about Firefox 13, not Firefox 1

Then you should've quoted more then just the first part.
I said that I stopped using FF when the memory leaks started to appear

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You guys leave your computers on / browsers open how long??? Do you pay your own electric bills?
It's rather common to let your browser open on your laptop and just put it in sleep-mode, instead of actually shutting it down. People do it all the time, and that process is just so easy and fast it racks up pretty quickly. Sleepmode doesn't require that much electricity, I bet you could even unplug the power over night and just let it sleep on the battery.

Besides, in my case, we just have solar power, so everything I do on a computer within daylight is free.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You guys leave your computers on / browsers open how long??? Do you pay your own electric bills?

I got my laptop running 24/7
I cba to shut it down in the night and wait for it to be booted in the morning.
Even tho it takes ~10 seconds.

Besides it's cheaper then a desktop running 24/7.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I got my laptop running 24/7
I cba to shut it down in the night and wait for it to be booted in the morning.
Even tho it takes ~10 seconds.

Besides it's cheaper then a desktop running 24/7.

That is bananas... I usually just hit the power button on my way to my morning dump

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You are talking about something later than stable for this, right?
Yeah, I use Nightly. I'm generally used to features coming and going, but this thing has yet to disappear since it was implemented. (Since 14 or 15, I think)

At the time of writing it looks/functions like this:
Rdjwo.png
"Show All Downloads" pops up this:
8J9Ex.png
It normally doesn't bother me since I clear my DL history, but the more things you have there, the longer that first picture gets; eventually just becoming a eyesore every time you download something.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Firefox has let me down on so many levels. I switched to Chrome a while ago.
At the rate where this is going I am afraid they wont win me back anytime soon...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I have maybe a lot of tabs opened, but I like switching quickly between them, so I keep them opened instead of closing them.
keeping them unloaded until it's used will help.

I've checked the memory usage, and the one taking the most memory is Googlecode (in hg mode), 28MB for a single page.
displaying this page takes more ram than other websites, even if there's nothing but text an links.

3 topmost:
Googlecode: 28MB (single page)
GBAtemp: 16MB
Plusone.google.com: 12MB. I never use google+, it's only buttons linked on other websites. I'll test greasemonkey scripts to disable these social links.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Ew, there's no option to keep the list clear automatically like with the current stable download window?
As I previously stated, I use Aurora (Nightly Build, w/e you want to call it). I have my downloads set up the same way that I have for years: the window automatically closes after downloads are complete, and the list clears automatically. Essentially, all of the DL manager settings are still available. Twiffles has a rather user specific issue, as Cyan seems to with his extreme memory usage. Even when I have 12 or 15 tabs open, my Firefox is never using more than about 120MB (which I don't even notice unless I have the task manager open for some reason). I use Flash pretty consistently without issue, and really, I rarely open pages that utilize Java to a degree that it lags out the browser. In fact, that rarely might as well be never because I can't remember the last time that I did.

All in all, people are just being nit picky anymore. Not being able to open your 60+ tabs with 20 Java laden sites, 30 sites loading flash content, and 10 more sites loading all of your normal crap shouldn't be a big deal, because I can't think of a time when you would need to layer your browser so heavily.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm doing good, just made my first drink of the day, so better now, Captain and Coke today. I had to cut grass all day, then get my hair cut. I messed with my wifey, she knew I was going to get hair cut, and I went and bought a purple dyed wig, and came home wearing it, she freaked out, thinking I dyed my hair purple, was funny.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Hey BigOnYa
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hey hope all is well
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, And you too :)
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa how are you doing
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    any mushroom trip adventures you can share
  • JakobAir @ JakobAir:
    Damn, I haven't been on here in while. My wife and I went on a mushroom trip like 10 years ago. A friend had a PS3TV with the glasses and some racing game. It hit when I was playing the game and I freaked out because I thought I was really driving and crashed.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Orange ocean Hawaiian punch is pretty good but @BigOnYa keeps putting vodka in it
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    With enough Vodka everything is good
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Im back
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    We are having a bbq
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Nice! Hopefully the weather is good today?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Sicklyboy, it's a bit cloudy but Yea it's good
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    80 for us all that rain then mother nature's like have some sun burn
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @Xdqwerty, good weather, good food, what's not to like about that? Hope you have a lovely day dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got some porkchops marinating in honey teriyaki hope it comes out good
    +1
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Porkchop was the name of that dog in that one cartoon, DOUG! :P
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Sonic Angel Knight, never watched doug
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I might play Roblox again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh jump back to gdevelop
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: