Flash cart for the Switch incoming?

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this works on unmodified Switches, then it means it must run unmodified XCIs. So people without CFW will be forced to play only base version of games. This won't be able to magically manipulate all those checks on FS to be passed.
Shouldn't it still be possible to install game updates from Nintendo Online like OFW does as it that would pass all checks?

BlusterBong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Confiscated? Nah, I don't think it would be that; rather, they've tried to wipe any existence of it off the web. Suppose the Wayback Machine still has forks available.

No evidence proves this to be the case. Only thing we got is a video. They don't show hardware specs, internals, nor nothing. Just the device being demonstrated on a Switch (possibly modded), so don't get your hopes up high.
I mean, they kinda have a reason to given that the switch was and currently ITT thier most recent console that they are trying to sell you, and if something similar happened with the PS5 or Series X, then Sony and Microsoft would have done the same becuase it's a gateway to using the console in the ways they don't want you to use in general (i.e not using thier console's OS or homebrew)

Reactions: SylverReZ

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Shouldn't it still be possible to install game updates from Nintendo Online like OFW does as it that would pass all checks?
You can, but as said before, if multiple people will use XCI with the same ID at the same time, they all will be banned. Randomizer won't work as Nintendo either must store IDs of each cartridge on their servers or have special math to check if ID is correct, so picking wrong ID will result also in ban...

But here comes the question what if someone will buy a cartridge that was dumped without knowing it? Nintendo cannot falsely ban people as they ignore any pleading about unbanning.

Last edited by masagrator,
Reactions: Blythe93

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can, but as said before, if multiple people will use XCI with the same ID, they all will be banned. Randomizer won't work as Nintendo either must store IDs of each cartridge on their servers or have special math to check if ID is correct, so picking wrong ID will result also in ban...
Then people will have to rip the games themselves (like I do now) but leave the cert alone and not remove it. This was as long as the original and backup aren't online at the same time you should be fine.

Reactions: impeeza

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Then people will have to rip the games themselves (like I do now) but leave the cert alone and not remove it. This was as long as the original and backup aren't online at the same time you should be fine.
so, will be a device for run you OWN backups and only YOUR OWN backups in case your original game get lost of scratched (joke)

• Haha

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so, will be a device for run you OWN backups and only YOUR OWN backups in case your original game get lost of scratched (joke)
That's only if you still want to go online with those games. Otherwise as long as the cert is legit it will run just don't go online or you will get banned if someone is also online using that same cert or if the cert has already been banned.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
That's only if you still want to go online with those games. Otherwise as long as the cert is legit it will run just don't go online or you will get banned if someone is also online use that same cert.
but if you run the game offline AND AFTER THAT you go online, you will get banned because you have invalid game on your console. even if you do not run the game online.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would to see a version of this for people with CFW so you can have 2 microSD card installed, one in the normal microSD card slot and one in the Gamecard port. Similar to how the SD2VITA worked. This way you have a normal NAND for OFW and the emuNAND through the Gamecard microSD for CFW so emuNAND won't take up precious space for OFW.
Post automatically merged:

As long as you have unmodified XCI and it will pass Lotus, it is not different from legit cartridge. XCIs are not assigned to consoles like eShop games.
And as long as the certs in the XCIs haven't been banned.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine renting a game from Gamefly, and it gets your Switch banned. Or if someone bought a used game from Gamestop, dumps it, returns it, someone else buys it, tries to play online, banned!
That's the other problem I am worried about if a flash cart for OFW switches comes out. It wouldn't be fair to legit users. For people like me, it wouldn't be an issue since I would only use dumps of my own games so I wouldn't have to bring a bunch of carts around. Also both people using the same cert would have to go online at the same time for that cert to get banned.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
As long as you have unmodified XCI and it will pass Lotus, it is not different from legit cartridge. XCIs are not assigned to consoles like eShop games.
When SXOS was up to date I used to mount xci games so they appeared on the switch (or would appear installed), then I used to boot into system firmware (sometimes with Atmosphere) and was able to download the game update from ninty. I used to do this for Doom Eternal and other games with massive updates. It didn't seem to matter what the xci id was and I didn't get banned. I only got banned by using tinfoil when it installed its own nro forwarder automatically - that was on a fresh emunand with no games installed and I accidentaly touched it from inside the homebrew screen when checking for updates and was connected to nintendos servers. That ban was instant as soon as the nro was installed. But for XCI's I used to go online quite a bit and never had any issues.

HiradeGirl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With how loose lipped everyone is, doubt a switch 2 is any closer than 6 months out

We would have heard something by now
The actual Switch already named trailer was revealed in November and released in March. That's 4 months between announcement and release.

Before that, there were plenty of rumors, but none got it right before the announcement, when it was still called project NX.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Another thing, If you convert nsp to xci most of the time it won't work because pretty much all of the converion tools don't copy the ticket to decrypt the game into the xci file. (It's Ok if you're using a ticketless dump though). It pretty easy to mod some conversion scripts to include the tik file and cert though so you can have a ticket based nsp dump converted to xci and then the xci will work (if you have sig patches installed), I wonder how safe this will be to use xci online considering malicious xci's can and probably will be posted online? Personally I don't think it would be wise to use the switch online with XCI dumps unless you dumped from your own cartridges and even then I would be warry. It will be intersting to see if/how this loader progresses and see how the micro sd card is read and what chips are involved/dumped/reversed etc.

Even if you can't go online and are using CFW, this would still be cool as you could use 2 sd cards in your switch at the same time and double your game storage capacity, so it would be good for that alone.

HiradeGirl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can, but as said before, if multiple people will use XCI with the same ID at the same time, they all will be banned. Randomizer won't work as Nintendo either must store IDs of each cartridge on their servers or have special math to check if ID is correct, so picking wrong ID will result also in ban...

But here comes the question what if someone will buy a cartridge that was dumped without knowing it? Nintendo cannot falsely ban people as they ignore any pleading about unbanning.
so, just ban online play with that XCI ID. console ban wouldn't make sense because of what you already said.

can't play online with a legit cartridge? too bad, just buy another. as long as consoles are untouched, it's okay

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The actual Switch already named trailer was revealed in November and released in March. That's 4 months between announcement and release.

Before that, there were plenty of rumors, but none got it right before the announcement, when it was still called project NX.
Even then we all knew it was coming and had some leaks about detachable controllers

We have nothing right now

HiradeGirl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even then we all knew it was coming and had some leaks about detachable controllers

We have nothing right now
There are lots of rumors.

Also, Nintendo has been very secretive lately. Mario Wonder was presented 4 months before release. None knew about it beforehand, nor there was any leaks detailing it.

The same for basically every first party release these last months from them. Super Mario RPG, and others.

The Switcch successor is coming.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are lots of rumors.

Also, Nintendo has been very secretive lately. Mario Wonder was presented 4 months before release. None knew about it beforehand, nor there was any leaks detailing it.

The same for basically every first party release these last months from them. Super Mario RPG, and others.

The Switcch successor is coming.
Coming yes, but I doubt it's released before 6 months from today

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Going with that right now with a dental claim morons put the wrong company name and rejected claims been on hold an hour for the claims department
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, BTW is it better to go usb or bt for these mini Pcs figure you may know since you play with rack systems so much
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Counting my blessings that my insurance hasn't caused me really any headache (yet, at least) despite the fact that I've been getting way more appointments and what not recently due
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @K3Nv2, what do you mean, what are you trying to do?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just looking at a built in mouse pad keyboard combo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I loose the dongle constantly but they may have better connection with usb frequency
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Imo Bluetooth is always a option of last resort for me
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Except for phones because it tends to be pretty reliable there
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a bad habit of taking out usb transmitter and loosing it because they can't you know print names on the damn things
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    But any desktop OS, I've never had anything but frustration trying to get Bluetooth devices to work reliably and stable. It might pair and connect once, and then next time I go to use it I have to delete and re-pair it again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    5.3 has been so good I think 6 is really going to make it stable
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember how shit 3 was
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Ptouch labeler aren't terribly expensive, label shit yourself fam. This is the one I own and there are cheaper ones too https://www.amazon.com/Brother-P-Touch-PTH110BP-Portable-included/dp/B09QXYND6S
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Solves part of the problem, mixing up which dongle is which. Then you just have to not lose them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Double D would be proud
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Even my Xbox One controller I have it paired to my desktop over Bluetooth, it USUALLY works but sometimes it refuses to connect and I have to delete and re-pair it. Maddening
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gigabytes built in mobo bt/wifi pairs pretty decent
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That's what I'm using :(
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ran a driver update in device manager?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Not recently but I think it's less a driver issue and more just Windows having a garbage Bluetooth stack
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Could be I was having issues when I first upgraded it and didn't realiser gigabyte has specific driver revisions which is stupid
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Which is married to the boards revision
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Made my first review
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I've gone years without ever removing a logitech usb transmitter. Across several replacements of keyboards and mice. It just stays put.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    tldr usb > bluetooth imo
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: tldr usb > bluetooth imo