Hacking Flash2Advance ULA-GP

ExoMemphiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Does anyone here have the ULA-GP software that can be used to connect the GBA as a joypad to the computer? It may be called ULA_GP_V2, or ULA-GPHost.exe or something similiar, it's hard to get info on, as 95% of sites are in japanese/jumbled random characters, and basically the rest are websites that are down.

Best Regards,

ExoMemphiz

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heyo, it's that guy who made the Youtube video. You're right, the website is down. Not to worry though, Archive.org has a solid copy right here! https://web.archive.org/web/20131129175646/http://www.teamknox.com/ula/ula.html

You want the download for "ULA_GP_V2_20030731(build 20030731)"

For anyone who doesn't know what we're talking about, on this page here there's mention of a way to use your GBA as a USB joypad for your computer. It works with a special "ULA" cable which that page has instructions on how to create one, or if you happen to have a Flash2Advance USB cable, you can use that instead with a minor file rename. I made a video of it a few years ago, for anyone who cares to see it in action.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to hear it! If you don't mind me asking, are you doing this on an actual WinXP computer or are you using a more recent version of Windows with a Virtual Machine setup?

In any case, happy gaming! I myself really love the feel of the original GBA in my hands, moreso than the GBA SP anyway, so using it as a joypad is a fun experience.

ExoMemphiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Using a GBA SP, I like the feel of that one :P
And I'm using VirtualBox, but when I set it all up and stuff, apparently Windows 7 can detect it as a joypad, which is nice, so after doing the setup stuff on the virtual one, I could play (And I streamed a little :P) using Windows 7 :)

ExoMemphiz

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
An update:

If people want to play on their Windows 7 machine 64bit it is now possible by doing the following steps:

-- Initial setup --

1) Set up VirtualBox with Windows XP
2) Plug in Flash2Advance with GB turned off
3) Install USB Driver on VB and run JoyToKey on both host and VB computer

-- VB Steps --

1) VB menu: Devices -> USB Devices -> Unknown device, click to make VB recognize it as a usb for it
2) Open Flash2Advance folder and find folder: ULA_GP_V2_20030730
3) Run ULA_GP_v2.exe -> Press "Install", the VB should now "eject" the usb from the system
4) Wait for USB to be ejected
5) Devices -> USB Devices -> Unknown device
6) Continue ULA_GP_V2 process, following onscreen commands
7) Close down VB computer, but because JoyToKey is running on host computer, you can now control/play on the host

Last edited by ExoMemphiz,

tekwarfare

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm using Windows XP 32-bit in VMWare running on Windows 10 64-bit. I can't for the life of me get ULA_GP_V2.exe to pass the multiboot file to the GBA (i've tried my original GBA and GBA SP). The cartridge isn't in. I press install, wait for the disconnected sound and then the connected sound and press OK to the message saying "Turn off GBA !!". Then I turn on the GBA whilst holding down select and start as per the instructions, but nothing happens. Just the Gameboy logo on my screen.

Now, I can launch F2APowerWriter cancelling the startup link and hit "Run *.mb", navigate over to the ULA_GP_V2_20030730 folder and select "ula_gp_gba.mb.gba" after choosing "All files(*.*)" as the "File of type". This will launch ULA GamePad Ver2.0 by TeamKNOx and I can see my inputs being registered on the GBA (OFF becomes ON). However, the Virtual Machine won't see the GBA as a gamepad, launching JoyToKey before or after this process makes no difference. Also renaming the file to ula_gp_gba.mb makes no difference (It still boots the file, but I can't get the PC to see the GBA as a controller).

I don't really understand this, but it seems that F2APowerWriter just passes the multiboot file to the GBA, it doesn't have anything else to listen and decode inputs so I think I need to get ULA_GP_V2.exe working. I've tried tricking it by passing the file with F2APowerWriter and then launching ULA_GP_V2.exe but no dice.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.