• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Food Shortages, Wendy's takes Burgers off Menu

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Wendy's a mainly burger focused place takes burgers off menu at some locations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.today.com/today/amp/tdna180745

Some grocerie stores and restaurants are having diffuliculties getting some food items and started rationing food.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...ng-kroger-costco-grocery-chains-supermarkets/

Corona Virus too long shut down may cause global famine of biblical proportions.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...coronavirus-famine-un-warning-intl/index.html

Is this a warning? Should we open the economy soon?

Last edited by SG854,

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Hints were thrown about 10 days ago:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/27/tyson-food-supply-coronavirus/

edit: Unpaywalled an excerpt:
In a full-page newspaper ad published in The Washington Post, the New York Times and the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette on Sunday, Tyson Foods — which sells products ranging from frozen chicken nuggets to cuts of raw pork — said the coronavirus pandemic may disrupt the U.S. food supply chain and raise the price of meat.

The company defended itself from criticism that it has not adequately protected its workers and pleaded for more government assistance in doing so.

“The food supply chain is breaking,” wrote John H. Tyson, chairman of the company’s executive board. “We have a responsibility to feed our country. It is as essential as healthcare. This is a challenge that should not be ignored. Our plants must remain operational so that we can supply food to our families in America. This is a delicate balance because Tyson Foods places team member safety as our top priority.”

The company warned that shuttering processing plants would cause “millions of pounds of meat” to disappear from the markets, reducing what’s available on grocery store shelves and raising prices. [...]

The answer is, you have to selectively reopen the economy. (Meaning you send food plant workers back to work, calling them heroes, while the rest could still be quarantining.)

Its not that the food is not there (entire flocks of chicken were killed and burned, because there were no people available for processing).

As for reopening the overall economy - every scientist says - no - (because the US basically still has case numbers that are expected to rise), but the decision you are trying to make is - more people killed by the virus (mostly older folks) vs. economic damage (recession, depression, ...).

In the US the calculation seems to be pretty different to europe because - a. spread is out of control in the US, as far as we can tell (meaning, you almost have no options to selectively quarantine), b. your population is far more crazy and militant, and not responsive to 'please stay at home' pleas, c. you have almost no social stability systems (outside the free market economy) and shutdown is costly, d. your death tolls already are the highest in the world (but thats a factor of also having proper testing and publishing the results, while f.e. china does not - you still have not enough testing, to say for sure, when opening the economy up would be proper - you are guessing that currently).

Meaning. The US is not on 'we have to safe as many lives as possible' course any more. You already are starting to do mixed calculations. (Opening the economy up tendentially too early.)

Doesnt mean that the rest of the world will fair better in the long run, we just have more options.

Last edited by notimp,

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Hints were thrown about 10 days ago:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/27/tyson-food-supply-coronavirus/

edit: Unpaywalled an excerpt:

The answer is, you have to selectively reopen the economy. (Meaning you send food plant workers back to work, calling them heroes, while the rest could still be quarantining.)

Its not that the food is not there (entire flocks of chicken were killed an burned, because there were no people available for processing).

As for reopening the overall economy - every scientist says - no - (because the US basically still has case numbers that are expected to rise), but the decision you are trying to make is - more people killed by the virus (mostly older folks) vs. economic damage (recession, depression, ...).

In the US the calculation seems to be pretty different to europe because - a. spread is out of control in the US, as far as we can tell (meaning, you almost have no options to selectively quarantine), b. your population is far more crazy and militant, and not responsive to 'please stay at home' pleas, c. you have almost no social stability systems (outside the free market economy) and shutdown is costly, d. your death tolls already are the highest in the world (but thats a factor of also having proper testing and publishing the results, while f.e. china does not - you still have not enough testing, to say for sure, when opening the economy up would be proper - you are guessing that currently).

Meaning. The US is not on 'we have to save as many lives as possible' course any more. You already are starting to do mixed calculations. (Opening the economy up tendentially too early.)

Doesnt mean that the rest of the world will fair better in the long run, we just have more options.
Food Plant workers, Truck Drivers, plastic creation plants to wrap food in, kitchen items, charcoal, gas (gas prices fallen) all the materials needed to create light bulbs and everyday essentials, back to work.

Kinda hard to stay at home when people need to go to the grocerie store to buy stuff to survive. Majority of covid patients were people staying at home. Got infected going out doing essential things.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.marketwatch.com/amp/story/guid/E00F1A9A-8FE9-11EA-9208-AF2E6FA5B5BC

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Food Plant workers, Truck Drivers, plastic creation plants to wrap food in, kitchen items, charcoal, gas (gas prices fallen) all the materials needed to create light bulbs and everyday essentials, back to work.

Kinda hard to stay at home when people need to go to the grocerie store to buy stuff to survive.
Correct. But usually you should have all 'essential' supplies in country and nearby, potentially even 'in stock'. For more than a month. (And China started production again already. (US is thinking about that from different angles as well I'm sure.))

Also reserve oil tanks are full to the brim at the moment.

Meat processing probably is highly affected, because thats an industry you could only automate to a certain extent (Machines not that good at making precise cuts in stuff that has natural variation.. ;) ).

So they are amongst the first that 'break'.

Meaning it still should be possible for a while to only let the meat workers back to work ('heroes'). ;)

The problem that you cant, shouldnt be a supply side issue, but a demand issue.

People largely really having lived 'paycheck to paycheck', and having no money to spend, if they dont work. (No savings.) That does you in faster. If that starts to happen, you will always reopen the economy.

Otherwise revolts, ...
--

With PPE its more complicated (harder to ramp up or down), because that was largely outsourced. (People relied on a steady supply from china (and others).) With goods of daily life you didn't. (With medicine everyone - again - did.. ;) )

edit: Demand shortage (even after curfews are lifted) in other countries also is behaviorally driven (= people start to spend money again cautiously.):
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/mar...t-a-post-coronavirus-world-stephen-roach.html

Last edited by notimp,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. But usually you should have all 'essential' supplies in country and nearby, potentially even 'in stock'. For more than a month. (And China started production again already. (US is thinking about that from different angles as well I'm sure.))

Also reserve oil tanks are full to the brim at the moment.

Meat processing probably is highly affected, because thats an industry you could only automate to a certain extent (Machines not that good at making precise cuts in stuff that has natural variation.. ;) ).

So they are amongst the first that 'break'.

Meaning it still should be possible for a while to only let the meat workers back to work ('heroes'). ;)

The problem that you cant, shouldnt be a supply side issue, but a demand issue.

People largely really having lived 'paycheck to paycheck', and having no money to spend, if they dont work. (No savings.) That does you in faster. If that starts to happen, you will always reopen the economy.

Otherwise revolts, ...
--

With PPE its more complicated (harder to ramp up or down), because that was largely outsourced. (People relied on a steady supply from china (and others).) With goods of daily life you didn't. (With medicine everyone - again - did.. ;) )

edit: Demand shortage (even after curfews are lifted) in other countries also is behaviorally driven (= people start to spend money again cautiously.):
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/06/mar...t-a-post-coronavirus-world-stephen-roach.html
I work in grocery, in the meat department. Meat processors have never stopped working. A few plants have closed down of their own volition when employees started falling ill. Donald Trump issued an executive order to force them to open back up, but new guidelines as well as employees taking advantage of newly expanded sick leave and unemployment means they are operating at between 30-50% capacity nationwide. The solution would be to switch to non-perishable staple foods, but of course the hoarders and panic-buyers already caused a shortage in those as well.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
The issue is more complicated then, because its basically caused by a mass behavior. :/

People are self isolating to save others, not themselves (statistically) - and it should make little difference (for yourself) if you (if you dont show symptoms) go on sick leave now - or a year from now. All the meat manufacturer would have to do is to allow for social distancing opportunities in the production environment (= also likely lower output) - and for facemasks (not PPE, fabric masks would be enough), and sanitization stations (especially since infection rates in meat plants afair were far higher than in the general public - please double check I dont know how testing availability influenced this).

So this is caused by people loosing trust (understandably so), and according to you 'trying to sit this out' - which they cant. Which is very much harder to manage...

Stuff like this shouldnt be structural though ('omg the food is running out'), and limited to a few sectors of food production at most. From everything I'm reading, the issue (why to open the economy earlier) is not a supply shortage. (Also you wouldnt instill a statewide or nationwide curfew, without checking if food supply would run into problems first.)

So many words, and most of them useless. Some things you can only acknowledge.

(Believing in political systems - and their ability to function, only works, if you oversimplify almost everything. When in reality people dont show up to work out of fear - no one can plan that, or make them... Stuff like this is humbling. Thats a reality check.)

Last edited by notimp,

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my state, everything related to the food supply chain was considered essential and nothing related to it was shut down by the government. Yet the meat processing plants were still closed, because the workers need specialized knowledge and skills and are too sick to work.

Opening non-essential business and making folks stop working from home is just going to make the infection rate higher and make the workers in the essential businesses more vulnerable. This puts the supply chain at an even higher risk.

Last edited by Kraken_X,
Reactions: weatMod

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't get or can't get at a price it cares to pay? If you are serving bottom of the barrel muck (though why it was not arbitraged I am not sure) then a bump in costs can make things untenable if your prices are also unmoveable.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'll be blunt: I find this thread a rather embarrassing way to portray USA.

1) the thread title is misleading; Wendy's doesn't take burgers off the menu. Only in "some locations"
2) underneath that sensationalist piece is a part that is actually relevant: "The closures have halted 25% of pork production and 10% of beef production in the U.S". That's certainly not insignificant, but also not crucial either.
3) Seeing that this is (apparently?) caused by 4200 ill workers, it is actually a case AGAINST reopening the economy rather than for one.
4) OP also implies that the USA was apparently dumb enough not to consider food production, transportation and distributing as an essential service. Luckily, this got torpedoed later on
5) that last link isn't talking about the USA. I know I've made the analysis that the USA is screwed, but let's not go nuts, okay? The USA isn't a developing country (yet), and it's not like "my local Wendy isn't serving meat anymore :cry::cry::cry:" is somehow a complaint of the same category as "on top of draught, crop failures and locust swarms our village now ALSO faces dire consequences in food distribution due to the corona virus"

Okay, and perhaps 6) link your sources directly rather than through a google result. It proves you weren't triggered by news events but rather pursued them to prove your political agenda. But I'll be fair: that's just a pet peeve compared to the rest.

Still...despite all this, the last part is worth discussing:
"Is this a warning? Should we open the economy soon?"

(well...the first one. The latter one is pointed out that it was never closed to begin with)

I'll be honest: I have no clue how food distribution works around the globe, and upon inspection it actually SHOULDN'T work. I mean...I had avocados for lunch today. The whole world's in lockdown, but somehow this vegetable gets to travel the world to get on my plate? :unsure:
Some countries I know like the Netherlands have made it an honor case to be self-sufficient in times of crisis, but Belgium has always relied on exports. Our agriculture simply isn't strong enough to feed everyone. For the moment it's okay, but I have no doubt there'll be a major impact somewhere in the not so long future. Our (little) agriculture relies for a large part on immigrants plowing the fields. Since they couldn't make it, the crops will be less, resulting in larger agricultural prices and potentially even larger meat prices (animals have to be fed as well).

For the US: I won't lie: it could very well be a warning, yes. Trump can execute orders all day, but sick workers can't work, and if a significant percentage of a plant/factory/farm/whatever is sick, the output is halted. If this situational case happens on enough locations, there'll be a food shortage.

In any other country, I'd make the argument that flattening the curve is the solution, but America? Pfff...There's a part of the population that doesn't need to be told, and there's a part that's too stubborn to listen regardless. That latter part will protest for their right to work, the virus will continue to wreak havoc and you'll end up in the same situation as those developing countries.

...so on hindsight, I'll withdraw my point five. I considered it distasteful, but it may just as well be America's future.

Reactions: Kraken_X and Xzi

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How interesting. It seems like the lockdown is doing more harm than good.
On top of that, the governor of New York has said that most Winnie the Flu victims weren't essential employees but rather stayed home the entire time. It's almost like staying inside weakens your immune system.

OPEN THE FRICKING ECONOMY ALREADY!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Literally nowhere has that proven to be the case, and every state that has reopened thus far has seen a spike in new infections. It's highly likely that some of them will have to issue new stay at home orders, all because a few Karens couldn't wait any longer for a haircut.

On top of that, the governor of New York has said that most Winnie the Flu victims weren't essential employees but rather stayed home the entire time. It's almost like staying inside weakens your immune system.
It's almost like most New Yorkers live in packed apartment buildings with hundreds of other people close by. The issue is that we simply don't have enough testing to know when, where, and how these people got infected. Re-opening without that data is a guaranteed disaster, and we're currently only testing about 0.5% of the population each day.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Literally nowhere has that proven to be the case, and every state that has reopened thus far has seen a spike in new infections. It's highly likely that some of them will have to issue new stay at home orders, all because a few Karens couldn't wait any longer for a haircut.
It's less about places opening up and more that testing facilities are becoming more readily available.
It's almost like most New Yorkers live in packed apartment buildings with hundreds of other people close by. The issue is that we simply don't have enough testing to know when, where, and how these people got infected. Re-opening without that data is a guaranteed disaster, and we're currently only testing about 0.5% of the population each day.
Are apartments really that much worse than the subway?
In addition, .5% of 300 million people is still 1.5 million. Yes, the numbers could be higher, but that's each day. In one week, assuming there's no overlap, that's a good 10.5 million people.

One last thing: opening the economy back up will save more lives than the Winnie the Flu will take.

Last edited by UltraSUPRA, , Reason: Fixed math.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Are apartments really that much worse than the subway?
That's kinda my point, it's much harder to practice social distancing no matter where you go in New York compared to other cities and states. Thus it becomes nigh impossible to do contact tracing there without an abundance of readily-available tests.

In addition, .5% of 300 million people is still 1.5 million. Yes, the numbers could be higher, but that's each day. In one week, assuming there's no overlap, that's a good 10.5 million people.
It's far too insufficient. Infectious disease experts say we need to be testing a minimum of 15% of the population per day to safely reopen. Which is why the federal government already threw the "safely" part out the window.

One last thing: opening the economy back up will save more lives than the Winnie the Flu will take.
A dystopian choice which shouldn't be forced upon citizens. Neither homelessness/starvation nor working for $7.50 an hour in unsafe conditions are good options. If the powers that be are desperate to see corporate profits start flowing again, then it's time to start paying those employees that were deemed "essential" a living wage. Not to mention providing them with proper PPE and cleaning supplies. That's the absolute bare minimum they can do, and still so many companies aren't doing it.

This thing is gonna kill well over 200K people in the US before all is said and done, at least half of those deaths will have been preventable.

Last edited by Xzi,

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

1) the thread title is misleading; Wendy's doesn't take burgers off the menu. Only in "some locations"
2) underneath that sensationalist piece is a part that is actually relevant: "The closures have halted 25% of pork production and 10% of beef production in the U.S". That's certainly not insignificant, but also not crucial either.
3) Seeing that this is (apparently?) caused by 4200 ill workers, it is actually a case AGAINST reopening the economy rather than for one.
4) OP also implies that the USA was apparently dumb enough not to consider food production, transportation and distributing as an essential service. Luckily, this got torpedoed later on
5) that last link isn't talking about the USA. I know I've made the analysis that the USA is screwed, but let's not go nuts, okay? The USA isn't a developing country (yet), and it's not like "my local Wendy isn't serving meat anymore :cry::cry::cry:" is somehow a complaint of the same category as "on top of draught, crop failures and locust swarms our village now ALSO faces dire consequences in food distribution due to the corona virus"

Okay, and perhaps 6) link your sources directly rather than through a google result. It proves you weren't triggered by news events but rather pursued them to prove your political agenda. But I'll be fair: that's just a pet peeve compared to the rest.

(well...the first one. The latter one is pointed out that it was never closed to begin with)

I'll be honest: I have no clue how food distribution works around the globe, and upon inspection it actually SHOULDN'T work. I mean...I had avocados for lunch today. The whole world's in lockdown, but somehow this vegetable gets to travel the world to get on my plate? :unsure:
Some countries I know like the Netherlands have made it an honor case to be self-sufficient in times of crisis, but Belgium has always relied on exports. Our agriculture simply isn't strong enough to feed everyone. For the moment it's okay, but I have no doubt there'll be a major impact somewhere in the not so long future. Our (little) agriculture relies for a large part on immigrants plowing the fields. Since they couldn't make it, the crops will be less, resulting in larger agricultural prices and potentially even larger meat prices (animals have to be fed as well).

For the US: I won't lie: it could very well be a warning, yes. Trump can execute orders all day, but sick workers can't work, and if a significant percentage of a plant/factory/farm/whatever is sick, the output is halted. If this situational case happens on enough locations, there'll be a food shortage.

In any other country, I'd make the argument that flattening the curve is the solution, but America? Pfff...There's a part of the population that doesn't need to be told, and there's a part that's too stubborn to listen regardless. That latter part will protest for their right to work, the virus will continue to wreak havoc and you'll end up in the same situation as those developing countries.

...so on hindsight, I'll withdraw my point five. I considered it distasteful, but it may just as well be America's future.
That was explained in the OP. Wendy's only takes burgers out of some locations. I couldn't fit all that information in the Title. But it is a shortage that they had to take off burgers.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And what political agenda. What in the world you are talking about. Just some information I found and let people discuss about in this thread. I agree with @notimp. Just wanted to see what information people can bring.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: Chary

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's kinda my point, it's much harder to practice social distancing no matter where you go in New York compared to other cities and states. Thus it becomes nigh impossible to do contact tracing there without an abundance of readily-available tests.
In other words, lockdowns change nothing in the Big Apple.
It's far too insufficient. Infectious disease experts say we need to be testing a minimum of 15% of the population per day to safely reopen. Which is why the federal government already threw the "safely" part out the window.
What "experts"?
A dystopian choice which shouldn't be forced upon citizens. Neither homelessness/starvation nor working for $7.50 an hour in unsafe conditions are good options. If the powers that be are desperate to see corporate profits start flowing again, then it's time to start paying those employees that were deemed "essential" a living wage. Not to mention providing them with proper PPE and cleaning supplies. That's the absolute bare minimum they can do, and still so many companies aren't doing it.
Minimum wage jobs are for teenagers who either live with their parents or are in college. Increasing the minimum wage would also increase prices on everything to balance it out.
This thing is gonna kill well over 200K people in the US before all is said and done, at least half of those deaths will have been preventable.
Everyone who has ever come close to finding a vaccine has "mysteriously" been thrown out the window, or shot, or hung, or whatever. The people you're voting for want to keep this disease alive to fuel our paranoia so that we have to rely on the government. And then...communism.
If you want Winnie the Flu to die, the first step is McCarthyism. Otherwise...no deaths will be preventable.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
In other words, lockdowns change nothing in the Big Apple.
Not what I'm saying, the rate of new infections is still going to be much lower with a stay at home order, it's just never going to be zero.

What "experts"?
Literally all of them. CDC, WHO, Fauci, everyone has the same message on this.

Minimum wage jobs are for teenagers who either live with their parents or are in college. Increasing the minimum wage would also increase prices on everything to balance it out.
That hasn't been true since the 80s, the service industry is like 75% of America's jobs. Which means everyone works at Wal-Mart and in fast food, including the middle aged and senior citizens. Plus minimum wage hasn't even kept pace with inflation, let alone production, and now people are being asked to work for peanuts during a deadly pandemic. It's unsustainable.

Everyone who has ever come close to finding a vaccine has "mysteriously" been thrown out the window
Umm no, we've been told from the beginning that a vaccine would take at least a year, and that's probably not even accounting for thorough testing.

The people you're voting for want to keep this disease alive to fuel our paranoia so that we have to rely on the government. And then...communism.
The people I've voted for would have done far more to prevent the spread of this virus in the first place. "Work will set you free" is not exactly the best argument for unregulated capitalism at the moment, given the historical connotations and all.

UltraSUPRA

[title removed by staff]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not what I'm saying, the rate of new infections is still going to be much lower with a stay at home order, it's just never going to be zero.
But over time, people will become more susceptible to it due to weaker immune systems.
"experts"
That hasn't been true since the 80s, the service industry is like 75% of America's jobs. Which means everyone works at Wal-Mart and in fast food, including the middle aged and senior citizens. Plus minimum wage hasn't even kept pace with inflation, let alone production, and now people are being asked to work for peanuts during a deadly pandemic. It's unsustainable.
Suppose you own a small business.
Your employees work for minimum wage.
After factoring in bills, at the end of the day you have just enough to pay for rent and a few meals.

Then the minimum wage gets increased.

Lay off employees, jack up prices, or starve? Your choice.
Umm no, we've been told from the beginning that a vaccine would take at least a year, and that's probably not even accounting for thorough testing.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...cant-coronavirus-findings-shot-death-n1200896
The people I've voted for would have done far more to prevent the spread of this virus in the first place. "Work will set you free" is not exactly the best argument for unregulated capitalism at the moment, given the historical connotations and all.
I agree that the people you're voting for would do more to stop the spread. The problem is how they would; Kim Jong Un shoots everyone in North Korea who has it, and NK is a communist country.

SG854

Hail Mary
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the

I've seen older people and seniors work at minimum wage service jobs. But I mostly see teens and young adults. But if you are over the age of 30 it's embarrassing to still be working there. I've seen older people get made fun of alot to be working at that kind of job. They are the odd ones out, especially made fun of by the younger people.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: UltraSUPRA

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

OPEN THE FRICKING ECONOMY ALREADY!

lmaooo i'd say "I'm glad people smarter than you make the decisions" but i've seen American news so I guess people as dumb as you are also in charge.

This is a perfect example of when someone with absolutely no knowledge or understanding of anything tries to have an opinion.

You must be big on reddit.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn