Hardware formatting takes forever

YuseiFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, i accidentally bought a 256GB sd card because i thought you could store games on them, so i got an adapter after that, when trying to format the thing in the settings, it's stuck at checking USB storage, any workaround that anyone knows off ?

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, i accidentally bought a 256GB sd card because i thought you could store games on them, so i got an adapter after that, when trying to format the thing in the settings, it's stuck at checking USB storage, any workaround that anyone knows off ?
Hello,

If you use your SD card with a USB adapter connected to the wii U, it may malfunction.

Use the SD card in the Wii U slot, provided for the SD card and format it in FAT 32 with "guiformat" (either it will work or not).

For the USB ports of the Wii U, prefer an external hard drive with its separate power supply or a Y cable and it will work much better. .:yayu:

The Wii U requires a lot of energy to operate your USB support.

Last edited by jeannotte,

YuseiFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello,

If you use your SD card with a USB adapter connected to the wii U, it may malfunction.

Use the SD card in the Wii U slot, provided for the SD card and format it in FAT 32 with "guiformat" (either it will work or not).

For the USB ports of the Wii U, prefer an external hard drive with its separate power supply or a Y cable and it will work much better. .:yayu:

The Wii U requires a lot of energy to operate your USB support.
That's the thing, i already have a boot sd card, i purchased this one with an adapter, thing is, i want it to think it's an external usb and use it lmao i literally have no other electronic that uses sd cards other than the wii u

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Make sure the card/adapter isn't write-locked (write-lock and unlock it to make sure) :
man-3ds-sdcardlockswitch-287-181.png

If that doesn't help check your SD card: https://3ds.hacks.guide/h2testw-(windows).html

If there's no write lock and the card is fine try a different USB adapter (different brand at best).

//EDIT: @jeannotte A SD card shouldn't draw that much power. ;)

Last edited by V10lator,

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
//EDIT: @jeannotte A SD card shouldn't draw that much power
Hello,

in general all that is ==> usb key with adapter, or usb key, to work with the USB ports of the Wii U ==> does not work or badly (I say well in general).

some work (a little), others don't (not at all).:D;)

nothing beats a good external hard drive (and the problem is solved):P:D

Last edited by jeannotte,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
nothing beats a good external hard drive (and the problem is solved):P:D
Well, I had problems with therse, too: A USB to SATA adapter wouldn't work with a WD black on the Wii U but worked just fine on a PC. Also after changing the hard drive to a WD blue it works just fine on the Wii U. That's why my last hint was to try another adapter: Maybe some card/adapter configurations just won't work. :)
Other than compatibility problems with adapters I fail to see why a SD card shouldn't work.

//EDIT: Forgot to say: The WD black worked just fine with another adapter on the Wii U, so it really looks to me as some storage/adaptet configs just won't work (maybe Nintendo isn't implementing the full USB storage protocol or something like that).

Last edited by V10lator,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro