Hacking Friend Got Banned Today Even Though He Did Not Connect Pre 11/18/16

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just the question remains, how far back does that log go? If it goes back only like 5 days then people who connected literally the moment it was leaked could have gotten away with it. But its more than likeley that it goes back indefinitely.
That is a grand question. Someone on here also mentioned maybe they can see your activity log? Well I deleted pokemon Sun out of mine. Not sure if they can see it still, but I doubt Nintendo keeps an online log of when people started playing a game in an offline state for a few hundred million right? But yea, he got hit on another wave. I have done trading online on both my freeshop download of Sun and my purchased copy of Moon post launch and everything is fine still.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
please do not spread opinion as fact, it's my opinion that there is more to this than everyone is thinking and I would recommend people just give it a Lil while for everything to become clear, declaring X safe because your friend did it doesn't make it true, unless someone here has heard from Nintendo and been told the exact specifics of how people are being flagged for ban's I would say go online at your own risk not because some guy says it's safe in his "expert" opinion

Last edited by gamesquest1,

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just the question remains, how far back does that log go? If it goes back only like 5 days then people who connected literally the moment it was leaked could have gotten away with it. But its more than likeley that it goes back indefinitely.
It's likely they have been keeping logs regardless, I highly doubt they put in a logging system just because it leaked publicly on a certain day.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's likely they have been keeping logs regardless, I highly doubt they put in a logging system just because it leaked publicly on a certain day.
Lml I'm not saying they nesicerily added a new system, I just mean how long it will stay before whatever server they keep it on auto deletes it from storage.

That is a grand question. Someone on here also mentioned maybe they can see your activity log? Well I deleted pokemon Sun out of mine. Not sure if they can see it still, but I doubt Nintendo keeps an online log of when people started playing a game in an offline state for a few hundred million right? But yea, he got hit on another wave. I have done trading online on both my freeshop download of Sun and my purchased copy of Moon post launch and everything is fine still.
And if I'm not mistaken, an activity log check would be illegal because it violates the right to privacy. Plus, if they allowed you to delete individual content, then they probably don't use it

bytar

Holy Knight
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
someone says he is rebanned after injecting from a donor 3ds into his banned 3ds on youtube. now his 2 consoles are banned. be careful guys.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And if I'm not mistaken, an activity log check would be illegal because it violates the right to privacy. Plus, if they allowed you to delete individual content, then they probably don't use it
Only if it's not in the TOS, which it probably is, albeit very vaguely worded. It's not like anyone reads those anyway.

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only if it's not in the TOS, which it probably is, albeit very vaguely worded. It's not like anyone reads those anyway.
I've not seen anything about logs created by game time in TOS at all. But it seems to me everyone who got banned did play online in some way before launch. And I know this thread is trying to state that his friend got banned connecting after 11/18, but so far this is the only case and I am banking he connected and did not realize it. I played Sun through a week early but never connected the festival plaza online, and I am still fine 3 days after launch.

Of course now I only play my physical copy of moon, so thats the one I go online with.

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
please do not spread opinion as fact, it's my opinion that there is more to this than everyone is thinking and I would recommend people just give it a Lil while for everything to become clear, declaring X safe because your friend did it doesn't make it true, unless someone here has heard from Nintendo and been told the exact specifics of how people are being flagged for ban's I would say go online at your own risk not because some guy says it's safe in his "expert" opinion

Thing is, they HAVE been told. There's an email floating around here which says the user was banned for, and I quote, "Illegally preloading and playing" Sun/Moon. So, we then know Sun/Moon caused this and not something else.

Then there's the handful of people who have gone online with the leaked copy, AFTER official release (in their region) and haven't been banned. This then tells us the copy itself wasn't to blame, and strengthens the fact that the version number DOES NOT MATTER.

There's also those who have debunked the V0 theory as being false because if that were the case - they'd have banned us for this sort of thing way before Sun/Moon. Nintendo don't like piracy, so they would have employed any version detection methods way before Sun/Moon.

There was a person (in this thread I think) who used NTR's streaming ability which keeps your 3DS perma connected to the WiFi (unlike normal gameplay where it defaults to local unless specified by the game (via user option to go online). You can try this yourself. Boot Sun/Moon and press home. You'll notice your connection will be "local" and will switch to "online". Pressing home again puts it back to local) who was caught in the ban wave. They never went online in-game but because the 3DS kept setting itself to connect to the internet, it connected to Nintendo's servers and was banned (due to a memory patch to allow the streaming functionality to work).

There was also a report of a German(!) user using a US eShop copy and was banned a day later. This strengthens the fact version numbers do not matter else they would have been fine.

And to top it all off - I left my wifi and spotpass functionality ON while playing the leaked copy of Moon in the UK (23rd Nov release date here) and I haven't been hit. I tried it with my second O3DS - same story so I can guarantee it's not connecting by itself else both would have been hit. I NEVER used ANY of the online functionality and kept it strictly offline/local.

So, to sum it all up:-
  • Version number did not cause the bans else you'd be marked NOW after release (which people aren't).
  • Connecting to Online BEFORE official release date resulted in those who did it to be banned.
  • If Sun/Moon is out in your region - you CAN go online with whatever copy you own.
  • Saves/Activity log aren't causing the bans since you can set your system clock to whatever year you want and it'll set the save start date to that date. VERY ineffective and highly prone to false positives!
  • The time taken to actually ban accounts makes me believe it's manual. If it were automated, it would have been almost instantaneous. It looks like they're manually trawling connection logs and "pushing the button". No clue on how far back they're going, but seeing as how the leak happened ~2 weeks before release - they might be going back to day 0 (makes sense since it was a short period of time, and not many people connected (under 500 at least) to their servers).
  • Pulling together the info about version numbers, and bans coming from EU users only at this point - it is safe to say they're doing region only checks. If the game has been released officially in your region - you're safe to go online. If it isn't - wait until release!

You don't need an "expert opinion". You just need a lot of red string, a logical mindset and a large corkboard to pull the facts together. :)

Last edited by Flying Scotsman,

Arkansaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trinidad and Tobago
They seem to be targeting cia users, which makes sense since these are the ones who can be detected easily. This is a known risk however, just that people have ignored it all along.

D

Deleted-19228

someone says he is rebanned after injecting from a donor 3ds into his banned 3ds on youtube. now his 2 consoles are banned. be careful guys.

"someone"

Got a source? Injected my unbanned LFCS over a week ago and no issues.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Connection logs for servers are basically expected for security reasons (ie in the event that the server was compromised in some form by a particular client). Also (at least in the US), there is no such a thing as a right to privacy when it comes to anything on the internet. Giving up personal/identifying information to others without user consent is highly questionable however, and to the government should require a warrant. Regulating their own services they can do whatever they feel like with logging information that they are allowed to keep, and they should be keeping.

D

Deleted-19228

Saves/Activity log aren't causing the bans since you can set your system clock to whatever year you want and it'll set the save start date to that date. VERY ineffective and highly prone to false positives!

They could ban anyone who connected to the game with their system date between the dates of the ban. The chances of any user not having the correct date on their system and it happened to be during the "ban wave dates" are astronomical.

Reactions: Arkansaw

bytar

Holy Knight
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
"someone"

Got a source? Injected my unbanned LFCS over a week ago and no issues.

"I'll try to keep this brief. Two days ago, my NA 2DS was banned. I also have a JP N3DS, it was unbanned. I used this method to unban it, using my JP N3DS as the LocalFriendCodeSeed donor. All was fine, until this morning. I tried to go online on my JP N3DS, and it was banned! I checked my 2DS, and it was banned as well. What should I do? Are they re-banning? I've long since deleted the leaked CIAs, and instead installed the ones from the CDN. For anyone else whom this worked for, have you been rebanned today?"

x65943

pronouns big/pingus
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

"I'll try to keep this brief. Two days ago, my NA 2DS was banned. I also have a JP N3DS, it was unbanned. I used this method to unban it, using my JP N3DS as the LocalFriendCodeSeed donor. All was fine, until this morning. I tried to go online on my JP N3DS, and it was banned! I checked my 2DS, and it was banned as well. What should I do? Are they re-banning? I've long since deleted the leaked CIAs, and instead installed the ones from the CDN. For anyone else whom this worked for, have you been rebanned today?"

What's that quote from? Is it a comment on the youtube video? I wonder if they had gone online on their N3DS as well.

D

Deleted-19228

One user reported it. It wasn't the OP. And this is the first case of a reban after unbanning I've seen

What's that quote from? Is it a comment on the youtube video? I wonder if they had gone online on their N3DS as well.

Yes it was a comment further down the page.

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Connection logs for servers are basically expected for security reasons (ie in the event that the server was compromised in some form by a particular client). Also (at least in the US), there is no such a thing as a right to privacy when it comes to anything on the internet. Giving up personal/identifying information to others without user consent is highly questionable however, and to the government should require a warrant. Regulating their own services they can do whatever they feel like with logging information that they are allowed to keep, and they should be keeping.

No I'm not saying that server connect logs are illegal that's fine and completely legit to monitor who's doing what online, sorry I mean the system logs, like the 3ds app activity log. If they had the right to view that, then they would have exercised it by now and banned anyone with unauthorized code stored on it (more specifically, unauthorized eshop games)

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I'm not saying that server connect logs are illegal that's fine and completely legit to monitor who's doing what online, sorry I mean the system logs, like the 3ds app activity log. If they had the right to view that, then they would have exercised it by now and banned anyone with unauthorized code stored on it (more specifically, unauthorized eshop games)

It could be a new thing they're trying out and we're just seeing the beginning of it (so far it's been effective).

For example R4s were sold in the UK for yonks and out of the blue, Nintendo pulls an injunction out their backsides forbidding the sale of them.

This could be one of those situations and speaking of - wonder if playing Sun/Moon in a region where it ISN'T officially out yet (or will ever be released) will result in a ban...

If they're banning people for playing it early (as evidence has shown) then I wonder if it'll extend to people who will have to pirate it to play it.

Sketchy1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't think the local friend code seed is the only way they can identify your system as the same one....
That's like saying my IP is banned, I borrowed one from your PC, but the server is gonna treat it as a different machine if it has access to other specs

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It could be a new thing they're trying out and we're just seeing the beginning of it (so far it's been effective).

For example R4s were sold in the UK for yonks and out of the blue, Nintendo pulls an injunction out their backsides forbidding the sale of them.

This could be one of those situations and speaking of - wonder if playing Sun/Moon in a region where it ISN'T officially out yet (or will ever be released) will result in a ban...

If they're banning people for playing it early (as evidence has shown) then I wonder if it'll extend to people who will have to pirate it to play it.
1) its more a lawsuit thing because they are profiting practically of Nintendo's success, and nobody would need Nintendo's games anymore. Terrible for business
2) they weren't nessicerily banning because they got it early, but rather because the only way to get it Is to pirate it which is also terrible for business, so it would extend to both

Last edited by Sketchy1,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess all the food in my fridge can knock out a cow or two
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I should visit Florida again, miss the alligator barbecues
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and wifey was deciding on our next vacation, so I hung up a map on the wall, and give her a dart and said, wherever you hit, we will go. She threw the dart and it missed the map completely and fell into a trash can below on floor. So I said "ok Florida it is."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 ohhh a pot cake?
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Gimme some of dat
    +4
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh yeah i don't use weed,in my baking or in general
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides isn't it usually gummies or brownies?
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    So, make a "New Trend"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i just said i don't use weed
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can add it in anything really, you can even make a butter/oil with it, then use that oil in anything
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    besides i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent, so telling me to make a cake with cannabis is traumatizing me, ur cancelled buddy /s/srs
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (nah jk i'm just parodying those "i'm literally a minor and neurodivergent" mfs on twitter)
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Michigan has legal rec, so you only have few more years, is it 18 or 21 up there? 21 here in Ohio.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    prob 21, idk tho
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Guess I'll go with plan B and make a Rum Vanilla flavored ice cream
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sounds damn good.
    Nah. Tequila maybe
    That, or Old No. 7
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm ashamed to ask, but what is old no 7?
    Jack Daniels
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh yea, duh
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I still have some old no 7, bout to mix with some coke, and get "California Sober".
    +2
    lol, I finally got you to Enjoy a Coc Tail :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @ZeroT21 oh i bet some rum raisin ice cream is so good

i don't drink, but some rum ice cream might be good
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Rum pecan ice cream is the bomb. Never had rum raisin, but bet be good.