Hacking Frontier Gate (Boost+) Translation Project

HoaiTrung97

Hikikomori-Senpai
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I could invite you, just chat my Discord account.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yeah, it is. not so good with photoshop but I always wanted to make an english translation of this game.

A friend of mine introduced me to his friend who could get the script. But they are currently working on another project, probably gonna start next year I hope.
I'll post an update here once I get the script.

ikr, that's why I make this thread. in case someone could also help or share information.
It's good to know that! I also like Frontier Gate !! Hope you will not abando it and wish you luck with this project. (*^▽^*)

Gil_Unx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
It's been almost a year since ARD contacted me.
Yes i just want give some information about
the possibility of making a fgb patch.
The biggest obstacle is the identification of kanji.
The game itself uses a different table for each script file.
Especially the kanji.
So the same kanji can have a different index table for each
the script file, depending on what kanji characters come out in the script.

option,
1. Identify the kanji per script file, create table,
dump plain txt.
a pretty good option, but will end up identifying the same kanji over and over again.
less efficient in my opinion.

2. Without kanji identification, dump texture,
bad options, will end up with a translate texture,
can use the ocr application to get the plain text.

3. Identify the kanji of all script files, sort duplicates, create all tables,
dump all the plain text, most recommended option, but as I said above,
there are so many kanji characters that need to be identified,
around 3000 ++ kanji characters.

Kanji sample:
ID00796.jpg

So in essence, cannot dump the script file until the kanji has been identified.
The script file, in my opinion, is not too complicated.
If the kanji table has been obtained.
Dumping using a standard text extractor / inserter can be done.
Or make a text extractor / inserter too not too difficult.
Meanwhile, the unpacker and repacker of * .cpk files are also available on the internet.

Some Rough Translate
NPJH50721_00001.jpg

Attachments

• ID00796.jpg
    ID00796.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 209
  • FGB_KANJI+.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
Last edited by Gil_Unx,

double-B

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It is exactly as the previous poster has said. Un/repacking of .cpk files is no problem. However each script file uses its own kanji table essentially. For each script file, the kanji-codes (bytes) are ordered in the order in which the corresponding kanji appears in the script text.
I picked the largest script file, dumped its corresponding kanji texture and ran each individual kanji through an OCR software manually to build a kanji table that is specific to that file. That allowed me to dump the plaintext for that script file, which I translated partially and reinserted into the game.
Now you'd have to repeat this process for each script file in the game. Let's just say it is not fun to build a new custom kanji table for each file you want to translate, especially if you have to run every kanji through OCR software every time.

I suppose the more sane method would be to write a program that can at least display the plaintext of each line in a script file as an image (by cutting the kanjis from their textures and stitching them together programmatically). That way someone fluent in japanese could translate the game by looking at these images. Reinsertion does not require a custom table, as latin characters and hiragana/katakana have the same table every time. You would essentially avoid building the kanji tables altogether.

I'd be down to write a program for that, but only if translators fluent in japanese are interested in picking this game up.

Screenshot (190).png Screenshot (233).png

luckymouse0

Mad Scientist
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Argentina

I'd be down to write a program for that, but only if translators fluent in japanese are interested in picking this game up.

View attachment 240534 View attachment 240535

Well, you could make the program first and then ask for translators later, or even using machine translations first wile you await for a fluent Japanese speaker.

Many times when you start releasing and generating hype people, you will reach more people in the long run.

TigerTiger

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with luckymouse0. I think if you write a program for it and release it publicly, then a translator can come along even a few years later and work on the patch. I see posts on here from translators who want to work on a game but don't know how to start or join a project later and are looking for tools that disappeared. I think that also say there was a translator who wanted to work on something but wasn't sure what, you'd have a good pitch if you say "hey, Frontier Gate Boost + is looking for translators! It's a sequel to the legendary Frontier Gate, a cool JRPG with a unique atmosphere, and better yet, the translation files are all set up and ready to go!!!"

Alternatively, I've seen on ROMhacking.net, sometimes people make partnerships "hack my game and I'll translate yours". Obviously, that's a risky strategy and you can only ever vouch for yourself in terms of reliablity and ability but it seems to work for them.

I appreciate that hacking takes a long time and a lot of trial and error so I can see why you'd be hesistant to put in all the work for possibly no translation to come about, but I think without a tool, there will never be a translation, so to me, it seems like an 'investment for the future' :D:D

Last edited by TigerTiger,
Reactions: luckymouse0

uugh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go to github and search FRONTIER-GATE-BOOST-PLUS. Done by gil-unx. I posted this months ago but forgot new accounts can't share links. Trying this way instead. The readme has a vid link that shows some text editing then gameplay to show the changes.

luckymouse0

Mad Scientist
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Argentina
Go to github and search FRONTIER-GATE-BOOST-PLUS. Done by gil-unx. I posted this months ago but forgot new accounts can't share links. Trying this way instead. The readme has a vid link that shows some text editing then gameplay to show the changes.
I never thought I would see the day to see this game translated. I hope a translator get interested in this and pick this up. In the worst case scenario, using a machine-translated text.

Thanks for bringing it to here, and thanks to @Gil_Unx for making this possible.

The link is: https://github.com/gil-unx/FRONTIER-GATE-BOOST-PLUS

uugh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never thought I would see the day to see this game translated.
Yeah I feel ya! I stumbled over gil's work on accident and couldn't believe it! Thanks for putting the link up.

There was someone who made a site and guide of sorts for FGB+ if I recall correctly. Would that be of help? With their permission if possible.

luckymouse0

Mad Scientist
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Argentina
Yeah I feel ya! I stumbled over gil's work on accident and couldn't believe it! Thanks for putting the link up.

There was someone who made a site and guide of sorts for FGB+ if I recall correctly. Would that be of help? With their permission if possible.
Thanks for bringing that up, yes the guide has been around for years now and it is a good source not only gameplay-wise but for the translation, I will use this guide as base and start contributing to the project.

Please @Gil_Unx add a license file, if you don't know which license to pick refer to this link, or just use the good ol' MIT.

• Love
Reactions: uugh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto