Fruit in Cakes - Yes or No

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Recently it was big sis' birthday and she asked for a cake with walnuts.
My dumb parents got her a cake with Fruit instead.
what-the-wtf.gif

And this isn't the first time they've done this. One day, probably 5 years ago, they brought a HUGE cake with fruit on it. Kiwi, Banana, Grapes, Peaches, Strawberries, Mango... wtf?

I say that that's not cake!
CAKE SHOULDN'T HAVE TWO THINGS:
  • TRES LECHES
  • FRUIT

Please join my noble cause to get rid of Fruit in Cakes! :cry:

IMG_20220915_083944_586~2.jpg

Actual photo of the "cake" parents brought.
WHO THE FUCK DRINKS COFFEE WITH GRAPES?!

Reactions: sombrerosonic

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Fruit in cakes and fruit on cakes (where it is more of a garnish) is two different things.

Fruit in cakes is delicious -- apple cake, pumpkin, banana, pineapple, carrots (granted they are vegetables), kiwi fruit, passion fruit, pears, cherries... I have tried and true recipes for them all and plenty more besides. Dried and wet forms of each of most of those (never had dried passion fruit).
Indeed give me one of those over a sponge cake any day of the week, though I will note sponge cake is the worst of all cakes -- it is the cake for people that want to be all "tee hee I should not be having the calories but I want to be naughty" and just end up with the worst of both worlds.

Fruit on cakes I am more indifferent too. Some of the above naturally lead to things being visible on top but slicing up a kiwi or something and layering that on top of another cake, maybe with some kind of frosting, icing, marzipan... I will usually take the base cake over it or eat the topping separately (do love some marzipan).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
it's banana bread considered a cake?
For the most part yes -- ingredients used, end result ( https://www.jp-accountancy-services.com/2020/09/vat-on-jaffa-cakes-cake-or-biscuit/ ), eaten as a treat/sweet rather than a staple. However if going by ingredients then a lot of American breads would also count as that but that is because for some bizarre reason they include a considerable amount of sugar, and if you include fruit in it (used to really like cranberry bread but they stopped selling it around here) it gets quite blurry.

There are other things that get called bread but also act as cake -- saffron bread being a favourite of mine, zucchini bread/courgette bread for another. It goes the other way as well with things like oat cakes which also vary (most will think small flat things almost like hard tack, others go other ways. That is also not counting what a muffin is varying with location (hint there is no such thing as an English muffin in England, though some places might call bread rolls muffins which is possibly where the confusion starts -- https://yougov.co.uk/topics/consume...buns-baps-or-barm-cakes-what-do-people-call-b ), and the endless fun with scones.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BaNaNa is just jealous that even grapes get to be in cakes, but not bananas..
Lies there is indeed such a thing as Banana Cake I know cause I make it all the time.

My Recipe

Ingredients

3 very ripe medium bananas (around 225g/8oz peeled weight)
3 large free-range eggs
100g/3½oz soft light brown sugar
150ml/5fl oz sunflower or vegetable oil
275g/9¾oz white self-raising flour
1 tsp ground mixed spice
1 tsp baking powder

Method

Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4 and grease and line a 900g/2lb loaf tin with baking paper/parchment or use a loaf tin liner.

Peel the bananas and mash with a fork. Tip into a large mixing bowl and add the eggs, sugar and oil. Use a fork or whisk to combine.

Add the flour, spice and baking powder and whisk together until thoroughly combined. Pour into the prepared tin. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the cake is well risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Serve warm or cold in slices. Spread with butter if you like.

• Love
Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5cgll8v7iA