Further information about the upcoming Nintendo Switch "Mig Switch" flashcart has been revealed

mig.png

A few days after the monumental reveal of a work-in-progress flashcart being made for the Nintendo Switch, more information has been made available. The previously unnamed flashcart is set to be called "Mig Switch", and the initial Twitter user that unveiled the Mig Switch's existence, After Time X, managed to get in contact with the team behind it all. According to them, they were offered a review unit of the Mig Switch, but turned it down, as the After Time X team fears legal repercussions from dealing with "backup loader" hardware.

Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.

The Mig Switch currently has a website, where it is seeking distributors to work together with in order to sell initial limited quantities of the Mig Switch device, with the first units to be delivered sometime in January. The team claims that full availability is expected around March/April 2024. It'll come with the Mig Switch card, and the Mig Switch Dumper, with the latter of which allowing you to back up your games using NXdumpTool.

:arrow: Official Website

SamuraiErikku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This feels like the second coming of Sky3DS. Lol
Now only if there was a Nintendo Switch Flash Cart was like Sky3DS+ to cycle through the games easily I think I would purchase that it that was the final product. I would also like to use my DLC & Updates + Digital Only Games on the Nintendo Switch Flash Cart too it would be very helpful.

Reactions: impeeza

G33ksquad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Interesting, their email hosting is out of Italy, I tried to look into the hosting more but obviously cloudflare protection and it was registered right so I couldn’t get much more info.
cloudfare are a set of reverse proxy servers AROUND the world so you can not to know really where the servers are hosted.

Reactions: G33ksquad

gbadl

Trophies
XP
Country
Price needs to be $30 or less for this as it is a simple device. If price is higher we shouldn't buy and wait for clones.

The cart switching feature isn't necessarily a bad thing. I see a button on the cart causing problems when closing the cart lid and you may accidentally eject games while in play, in addition the button may fail. You shouldn't have more then 2 to 3 games on this, keep backups on an 2tb external hard drive and only transfer what is needed onto a 64gb or 128gb microsd. I mean when traveling how many cartridges do people usually bring with you and how do you change the cartridges without removing them from slot? It would be the same thing as what this cart is doing when ejecting and reinserting.

A lot of people weren't around in the 90s, early 2000s when only 1 game could be on a flash cart at a time. I remember when flash carts were advertised on the back of EGM and Gamepro magazines, lol.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo will be faced with the challenge of choosing to ban potentially innocent people who buy used games. I wonder how that will play out.
They’ll likely ban them if they detect the device.

Reactions: tabzer

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone tell me if this is worth getting a Switch? Then Nintendo announces Switch 2...
If you don’t have a switch and want one, just get a switch v1. The flash cart isn’t really worth it, it is good for people that just have a v2 switch though but I would still wait to see if this really won’t cause a ban. The people that get this that really don’t care about online will be the test subjects.

Switch 2 might be worth it still but me personally I won’t be a day 1 buyer even if this somehow works on that. Using this on a switch2, will probably get you banned if it works.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
cloudfare are a set of reverse proxy servers AROUND the world so you can not to know really where the servers are hosted.
Cloudflare is an American company so you should think again if you believe you could hide behind a cloud service.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
but cloudfare only provide the reverse proxy, the hosting can be anywhere on the world and the only things cloudfare could be summoned are the proxy logs.
In any case, I have my doubt of all of this and think its just a sham to feed on desperate plebs who cannot be bothered to mod switches.
I mean think about it, they selling a questionable product and taking preorders where people would not question their motives and make millions from fools who will send them wire transfers and bitcoins. Might as well send all your money to Pablo Escobar.

• Haha
Reactions: G33ksquad

G33ksquad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In any case, I have my doubt of all of this and think its just a sham to feed on desperate plebs who cannot be bothered to mod switches.
I mean think about it, they selling a questionable product and taking preorders where people would not question their motives and make millions from fools who will send them wire transfers and bitcoins. Might as well send all your money to Pablo Escobar.
I do agree, and there are plenty of TX devices that never had an actual release.

Fred Molyneux

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmmmmm. Sounds like we can inject the Cert/UID of a personally owned cart into any other backup and play them all online. Sounds amazing, but I'll personally be waiting it out to see of there's a ban wave before I jump in.
This is exactly what I was thinking of and what the beta tester seems to imply in the original post on Twitter. Now can Nintendo detect if the Cert/UID is valid and unique (because it comes from one of your game you never shared) BUT not from the game you are playing remains to be seen. This beta tester said it works but 2 points:
1) Bans are known to happen a week or even longer after you break their rule
2) The fact that he/she wasn't detected when there is only a few beta testers out there doesn't mean it won't be the case when there is tens of thousands of people using the same trick.
But it is promising and if it works, it is definitely a hell of a feature!

G33ksquad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cloud Act forces US companies to hand out data to the US authorities.
I would be shocked they didn’t already have this, real or not, Nintendo I’m sure is taking it as real until they find out otherwise. Although SX OS was made and sold for quite a while before they stopped it.

cainan__c

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I feel like if this device well and truly comes to market it'll be interesting. If everything is to be believed then it could well and truly could be a somewhat convinient solution for backups. Especially if it just seems to be bog standard XCI dumps.

If anything, I'm more interested in the backup device this product is said to come with. If they're regular XCI files then it would make backing up my ever growing Switch collection far more convinient for when I want to emulate my games.

But I'm very very skeptical of this so far, I have my doubts on if this is even a legitimate device.

Only time will tell, however.

Unlike most though, I don't care about the possible "piracy" aspect of this device (Hell, I go to great lengths to get some of the games I have physicially, even importing them if needed (e.g Ace Attorney, Omori, Persona 3/4, etc.) if they're not avaliable to buy in the UK physically (or go for much higher prices here...).) but moreso having something I can carry around that has all of my games instead of my cartridge binder that has, what, over one thousand £ worth of games in it. With that in mind though, switching between that many games sounds like an absolute pain without a physicial "switch games" button.

Reactions: rotteldastation

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I would be shocked they didn’t already have this, real or not, Nintendo I’m sure is taking it as real until they find out otherwise. Although SX OS was made and sold for quite a while before they stopped it.
Their lawyers most likely know all this. Not that companies can request this really from Cloudflare, they need a subpoena from the courts if so.

EDIT: Which is most likely really easy to do since they will ask the courts for it so they can use it for evidence.

Last edited by linuxares,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: At the end of the game Ed beather Truth at his own game giving up his ability to do alchemy