Further information about the upcoming Nintendo Switch "Mig Switch" flashcart has been revealed

mig.png

A few days after the monumental reveal of a work-in-progress flashcart being made for the Nintendo Switch, more information has been made available. The previously unnamed flashcart is set to be called "Mig Switch", and the initial Twitter user that unveiled the Mig Switch's existence, After Time X, managed to get in contact with the team behind it all. According to them, they were offered a review unit of the Mig Switch, but turned it down, as the After Time X team fears legal repercussions from dealing with "backup loader" hardware.

Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.

The Mig Switch currently has a website, where it is seeking distributors to work together with in order to sell initial limited quantities of the Mig Switch device, with the first units to be delivered sometime in January. The team claims that full availability is expected around March/April 2024. It'll come with the Mig Switch card, and the Mig Switch Dumper, with the latter of which allowing you to back up your games using NXdumpTool.

:arrow: Official Website

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
So you'll just run dumps through their converter software or something? Does that really provide any protection from legal liability?
Nope, still a "piracy device" so illegal under DMCA and that European circumvention thingy law.

Reactions: Xzi

octopus

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
They have a website:

BAKUP YOUR GAMES :

To backup your games, you will need either Mig Switch Dumper OR a modified Switch with NXdumpTool and the proper parameters you can find below.

NXdumpTool instructions :

You will need a (hacked) Switch which can run the homebrew application NXdumpTool. You will need the latest rewrite release version of NXdumpTool.

To make a complete ROM dump you must select and dump the following 4 files:

Gamecard image (xci)
Gamecard certificate
Gamecard initial data
Gamecard specific data

When dumping XCI, select no for 'prepend key data' and 'keep certificate', as it is currently convention to keep these in separate files. We recommend dumping via USB as this is the easiest way to dump.

After dumping the files, the files should have this structure:

"XXX.xci"
"XXX (Certificate).bin"
"XXX (Specific Data).bin"
"XXX (Initial Data).bin"

To further organize files per ROM, you may also create a folder XXX.xci, and place all the files in there:

"XXX.xci" (directory)
"XXX.xci" (file)
"XXX (Certificate).bin"
"XXX (Initial Data).bin"

Setup:
  1. Prepare microSD card
  2. Format microSD card with the exFAT filesystem
  3. Place XCI game files in the root of the microSD filesystem
  4. Ensure the game files follow the naming scheme with "XXX.xci", "XXX (Initial Data).bin", "XXX (Certificate).bin", "XXX (Card ID Set).bin", "XXX (Card UID).bin" (as instructed in the section “Backup your games”
  5. Optionally, you can create XXX.xci folder, and place the relevant game files in there
Launching games :
  1. Select the game to launch by ejecting and re-inserting the game card
  2. Upon launching game, same game will appear every re-insert
  3. To unlock, eject the game card when the LED light turns green
Online mode :
  1. Online mode is only recommended with a fully complete game dump
  2. If a valid Certificate, Card ID Set, or Card UID is missing, online mode is not recommended as it can lead to ban
Mig Dumper instructions :
  1. Insert game card into the dumper slot
  2. Plug in dumper to PC with USB cable
  3. Mass storage device will appear, with a folder XXX.xci 4. Copy XXX.xci folder to create a game backup

Reactions: x65943

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart.
So they just want you to buy their proprietary card rather than just downloading atmosphere for free. HARD PASS, these guys are working so hard for the Nintendo Ninja's to ruin their lives. The card will probably cost as much as a used v1 switch anyways. Yuzu and Ryujinx are also free

x65943

translation implies the existence of cislation
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have a website:

BAKUP YOUR GAMES :

To backup your games, you will need either Mig Switch Dumper OR a modified Switch with NXdumpTool and the proper parameters you can find below.

NXdumpTool instructions :

You will need a (hacked) Switch which can run the homebrew application NXdumpTool. You will need the latest rewrite release version of NXdumpTool.

To make a complete ROM dump you must select and dump the following 4 files:

Gamecard image (xci)
Gamecard certificate
Gamecard initial data
Gamecard specific data

When dumping XCI, select no for 'prepend key data' and 'keep certificate', as it is currently convention to keep these in separate files. We recommend dumping via USB as this is the easiest way to dump.

After dumping the files, the files should have this structure:

"XXX.xci"
"XXX (Certificate).bin"
"XXX (Initial Data).bin"

To further organize files per ROM, you may also create a folder XXX.xci, and place all the files in there:

"XXX.xci" (directory)
"XXX.xci" (file)
"XXX (Certificate).bin"
"XXX (Initial Data).bin"

Setup:
  1. Prepare microSD card
  2. Format microSD card with the exFAT filesystem
  3. Place XCI game files in the root of the microSD filesystem
  4. Ensure the game files follow the naming scheme with "XXX.xci", "XXX (Initial Data).bin", "XXX (Certificate).bin", "XXX (Card ID Set).bin", "XXX (Card UID).bin" (as instructed in the section “Backup your games”
  5. Optionally, you can create XXX.xci folder, and place the relevant game files in there
Launching games :
  1. Select the game to launch by ejecting and re-inserting the game card
  2. Upon launching game, same game will appear every re-insert
  3. To unlock, eject the game card when the LED light turns green
Online mode :
  1. Online mode is only recommended with a fully complete game dump
  2. If a valid Certificate, Card ID Set, or Card UID is missing, online mode is not recommended as it can lead to ban
Mig Dumper instructions :
  1. Insert game card into the dumper slot
  2. Plug in dumper to PC with USB cable
  3. Mass storage device will appear, with a folder XXX.xci 4. Copy XXX.xci folder to create a game backup
What's their website?

Edit: nvm,

https://migswitch.com/
So they just want you to buy their proprietary card rather than just downloading atmosphere for free. HARD PASS, these guys are working so hard for the Nintendo Ninja's to ruin their lives. The card will probably cost as much as a used v1 switch anyways. Yuzu and Ryujinx are also free
Some people already have a switch mini or other difficult to hack device. For the right price this thing could be pretty convenient

Reactions: Blythe93

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
What's with the weird big brother USSR Communist theme?

No digital eShop, updates or dlc compatible? Only cartridge roms?

Also, having to eject the cart to change roms is SCREAMING for a broken cartridge slot and also super irritating if you have a large number of games lol. Imagine having to cycle through 100 games. No thanks.

NewGBAXL

Professional Helirin Pilot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if this card can serve as an entry point for full system access.
If so eventually we may see a CFW loader game cartridge, the sole purpose to be loading HBL, Atmosphere and the like

Reactions: jalaneme

KiwiFruit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's their website?

Edit: nvm,

https://migswitch.com/

Some people already have a switch mini or other difficult to hack device. For the right price this thing could be pretty convenient

my concern is if not hardware attack which seems unlikely unless its glitch

this will very likely have issue with lotus patching (something not many even know exist), and then many people will buy this thinking it work but then it won't because lotus will be updated and on-non hacked switch you cannot do anything

so you buy a brick and probably no support from dev working behind shield of multiple third parties, no front company like sxos which at least had a company

but maybe not many people will buy this, and why it take so long to release. who need flashcart when you can easily emulate on pc or steam deck, or just mod a switch for cheap. make a quick buck on novelty before nintendo patch/fix issue maybe on swithc 2 or switch

I wonder if this card can serve as an entry point for full system access.
If so eventually we may see a CFW loader game cartridge, the sole purpose to be loading HBL, Atmosphere and the like

nope, lotus has no access to sys, they are isolated and sandboxed apart + different hardware. tat was big issue on 3ds/ds but here it is not trusted by sys and vise-versa

Reactions: Blythe93

Seraphic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should have held off on this device until Switch 2 reveal to see if it used same cart size.
I'll pick one up though, pirating Nintendo games in morally acceptable.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think and hope that they’re not saying everything this can do yet, if it’s just for switch games it’s pointless to me. These days I just use my switch for retroarch. Show me hbmenu somehow using a games titleid since I think I read in the other thread by someone that the cart slot is using something else for firmware or something, can’t remember but that kind of took away the idea that this uses something like atmosphere in the cart, which takes away the hbmenu being accessed from photo album.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: BigOnYa

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's with the weird big brother USSR Communist theme?

No digital eShop, updates or dlc compatible? Only cartridge roms?

Also, having to eject the cart to change roms is SCREAMING for a broken cartridge slot and also super irritating if you have a large number of games lol. Imagine having to cycle through 100 games. No thanks.

If its straight up spoofing a cart, and you somehow avoid a ban, should be able to download and interface with DLC and updates on your Switch NAND or SD card. Obviously no eshop games though.

Having to pop the cart is an annoyance but its the same thing you have to do with real physical carts. The Switch was built with exactly that in mind. Nothing saying you have to cycle through 100 games you won't ever have the time to play either.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Go here for that drivel: https://gbatemp.net/forums/world-news-current-events-politics.290/
Post automatically merged:

And I thought paying $15 for a flashcart was too much, but you guys are willing to pay $200 or more. 😆
I think he's saying he hopes the switch hardware will be cheaper by the time this comes out.

If its straight up spoofing a cart, and you somehow avoid a ban, should be able to download and interface with DLC and updates on your Switch NAND or SD card. Obviously no eshop games though.
Yeah but you won't be able to pir- I mean "backup" eShop games or dlc.

This is an interesting novelty but eh, the ejecting makes it a pass for me. I would have gotten it maybe with a better solution

Reactions: SylverReZ

x65943

translation implies the existence of cislation
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he's saying he hopes the switch hardware will be cheaper by the time this comes out.

Yeah but you won't be able to pir- I mean "backup" eShop games or dlc.

This is an interesting novelty but eh, the ejecting makes it a pass for me. I would have gotten it maybe with a better solution
Maybe they will make a revision with a button ala sky3ds

If they won't, maybe a clone cart will

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is amazing!

Maybe they will make a revision with a button ala sky3ds
I'm sure clone carts like this will appear shortly after, much like the Gateway. Too bad they didn't manage to put a button on one, it would've made my life easier.

Reactions: rotteldastation

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Or buy 20 16gb micro sd cards also. Pop it out, insert dif micro sd, insert.
Might as well just buy actual copies of the games at that stage lol
Post automatically merged:

Or buy one 128GB or 256GB card, which will be enough for most games that you will *actually play*.

Bruh. If you have 100 games on a 256gb card and you want to get to game #74 in the list you have to eject and reinsert the flashcard 74 times LMAO

Reactions: Asia81 and BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Megatron "Prime why throw away your life!" Prime "How do I think I got these gold rims!!!"
    Autobots roll some blunts and smoke out!
    Channel 69 news "Last night someone stole several cars and a semi truck loaded with drugs from the police impound lot!"
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i'mma @ juan in the joke thread and say "hey juan i call your mom dwayne the way she rock my johnson"
    Prowl was the autobots inside man... lol
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Is GBAtemp being a sluggish turd for anyone else today, or just me..?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, No, works fine.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope your weekend's great. :)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    My friend found this the other day. Courtesy of @Kaoid
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Sylveon popping out of a DS lite.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    pretty decent considering
    +1
    just under 2 weeks orso before the new harddrive arrives
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, How's that hard drive recovery project going?
    which one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, You mentioned that you have a new hard drive coming.
    yeh in 2 weeks orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Do you have a NAS storage?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    illmatic
    39 TB server
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Jeezus. 39TB sounds like a significant investment of time.
    meh, more of a I need to add bigger drives all the time
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: meh, more of a I need to add bigger drives all the time