Further information about the upcoming Nintendo Switch "Mig Switch" flashcart has been revealed

mig.png

A few days after the monumental reveal of a work-in-progress flashcart being made for the Nintendo Switch, more information has been made available. The previously unnamed flashcart is set to be called "Mig Switch", and the initial Twitter user that unveiled the Mig Switch's existence, After Time X, managed to get in contact with the team behind it all. According to them, they were offered a review unit of the Mig Switch, but turned it down, as the After Time X team fears legal repercussions from dealing with "backup loader" hardware.

Another interesting tidbit is that existing dumps of Switch games will NOT be compatible with the Mig Switch, and backups will need to be repacked to function with the flashcart. Games played with the flashcart can be played online, as well.

The Mig Switch currently has a website, where it is seeking distributors to work together with in order to sell initial limited quantities of the Mig Switch device, with the first units to be delivered sometime in January. The team claims that full availability is expected around March/April 2024. It'll come with the Mig Switch card, and the Mig Switch Dumper, with the latter of which allowing you to back up your games using NXdumpTool.

:arrow: Official Website

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A game cart backup solution that can only work on your own original should not be illegal.

This one is very like to only work like that as any mistake by having two with the cert going online is probably quickly going to get the cert banned and then no more updates for Switch that don't have CFW unless a valid cert can be made available to get the updates.

I don't know if maybe with a two original cart solution this can be solved. One is never duplicated so the cert never gets banned, use this one to get updates and the duplicated banned one is used to play the game

Maybe some shops in some dark alley is going to be doing this service.

Cart rental and second hand cart will take a hit when this gets released. You can never trust your game cart with a stranger ever again.

Some cart do have good enough game code but it would be very easy for game publisher to make them not good enough so without a good cert to get update those xci from internet would be useless. They will have to decide if they want to hurt the pirates by also hurting their paying customers.

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Wario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A game cart backup solution that can only work on your own original should not be illegal.

This one is very like to only work like that as any mistake by having two with the cert going online is probably quickly going to get the cert banned and then no more updates for Switch that don't have CFW unless a valid cert can be made available to get the updates.

I don't know if maybe with a two original cart solution this can be solved. One is never duplicated so the cert never gets banned, use this one to get updates and the duplicated banned one is used to play the game

Maybe some shops in some dark alley is going to be doing this service.

Cart rental and second hand cart will take a hit when this gets released. You can never trust your game cart with a stranger ever again.

Some cart do have good enough game code but it would be very easy for game publisher to make them not good enough so without a good cert to get update those xci from internet would be useless. They will have to decide if they want to hurt the pirates by also hurting their paying customers.
Could the Mig people buy the cheapest game carts available at wholesale and then clone the unique certs and burn them to the flash cart? Each flash cart would be unique and the original game carts is just part of the cost in manufacturing. It would be an extremely manual manufacturing process though.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Could the Mig people buy the cheapest game carts available at wholesale and then clone the unique certs and burn them to the flash cart? Each flash cart would be unique and the original game carts is just part of the cost in manufacturing. It would be an extremely manual manufacturing process though.
Funny Wednesday Memes.jpg

Reactions: BigOnYa

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder how pissed off Nintendo is hmmmm.... hopefully u guys didn't give away your credit card or bank account info to these sketchy ass sites lol

karloz25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
backup excuse made sense back in the day when games were on cds and dvds, it would suck to get a scratch and the game failed to load or play correctly, then the game makers did nothing to exchange them. Now with cartridges and online digital cloud storage for games data the “backup” excuse doesn’t really sound like a good excuse, plain ol’ pirating now, lol.😂
Even back with the NES cartridges, we would struggle to get the games to load.

Reactions: realtimesave

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
backup excuse made sense back in the day when games were on cds and dvds, it would suck to get a scratch and the game failed to load or play correctly, then the game makers did nothing to exchange them. Now with cartridges and online digital cloud storage for games data the “backup” excuse doesn’t really sound like a good excuse, plain ol’ pirating now, lol.😂
Even back with the NES cartridges, we would struggle to get the games to load.
Have you heard about the psn massive bans?

realtimesave

///AMG
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just read back a few posts. So yeah, so this is going to piss people off when they get the flash cart but need a modded system still to dump the games, right?? LOL LOL well we will see what happens.

and ya $70 kind of a joke I mean, it's affordable but... mod chip is like what $5 now :D

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I just read back a few posts. So yeah, so this is going to piss people off when they get the flash cart but need a modded system still to dump the games, right?? LOL LOL well we will see what happens.

and ya $70 kind of a joke I mean, it's affordable but... mod chip is like what $5 now :D
Seriously have you read past messages. You DON'T A NEED A MODED console to dump YOUR games there's a USB dumper No body knows if is sell separated or not include on the price

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Seriously have you read past messages. You DON'T A NEED A MODED console to dump YOUR games there's a USB dumper No body knows if is sell separated or not include on the price
I've read on one site they are giving both cart and dumper for $65. I'd assume it's the same elsewhere. I'm more worried that once these hit shelves, the pre-owned shop being. Flooded with cloned cards that are ban time bombs. Since I work in a place where I regularly get switch games and I end up paying half the price of the pre-owned price anywhere else. I picked up age of hyrule for £15 the other day. It's like £30+ everywhere usually even on ebay

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I mean in theory you just need switch keys, a reader that is connected to a switch cartridge and transfer nxdumptool for pc, and you can do the same.

Pretty sure that's what it's going to be. The tool is just a usb converter with an app, which will be nxdumper repackaged in a shady non-open source executable (possibly with the keys integrated) branding their logo. Also, less parameters to make the user-experience more "seamless".

Reactions: Blythe93

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Likely they took a good look at the source code of the cartreader in the GigaLeak files from 3/4 years ago and found some way to trick the cartreader into accepting their data.
Post automatically merged:

I mean in theory you just need switch keys, a reader that is connected to a switch cartridge and transfer nxdumptool for pc, and you can do the same.
That will not work because of multiple layers of encryption.
Nintendo did a pretty good job designing that.
The game carts are not directly connected to the Switch cpu but there is some secret cartreader ASIC in between the cart and the cpu.
The game carts for the Switch are also not just ordinary flash memory chips like an SD cart.
So you would need to go through that authentication process in order to unlock access to the the encrypted game data.
Then you would need to know how to decrypt that data.
When using software on the Switch to dump a cart, you basically have all that security stuff handled for you by the cart reader.

I also don't recall seeing any standalone 3DS cart readers.

Last edited by thesjaakspoiler,

Attila13

Praise the Creep!
Trophies
Website
gamesystemrequirements.com
XP
Country
Romania
where are u located?
i put in a USA address and shipping was $4.90
If I understood correctly, the reseller is located in the US, so it's normal that the shipping would be dirt cheap there, but anything outside the US will have astronomical shipping fees compared to inside US.
In my case the shipping is $50, not to mention import taxes and VAT on top of all that...
$65 for the MIG, $50 for fucking shipping, $13 VAT and $10 import taxes.
Yeah...no thanks...I'll wait to see if there will be a reseller here in the EU...paying more on shipping and taxes than on the actual product is just a sad fucking joke I'm not going to take part in...:gun::hateit::whip:

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
Cloned carts? I got lost
I meant once they are on a migswitch , effectively they have cloned the cart since the mig switch is just a 1:1 backup, and I can see legit people juat thinking screw it I'll sell my collection now I dont need it.

Because let's be honest no one's actually buying this are a backup and preserve option. You know some kids gonna get this backup his mates games and then their mates games get banned and they just sell them thinking they are broken. My uncle used to do this years ago back in the 90s for me. He'd take his computer down the pub and make fake cart backups of Gameboy games onto blank carts for us if someone gave him a game

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Likely they took a good look at the source code of the cartreader in the GigaLeak files from 3/4 years ago and found some way to trick the cartreader into accepting their data.

That will not work because of multiple layers of encryption.
Nintendo did a pretty good job designing that.
The game carts are not directly connected to the Switch cpu but there is some secret cartreader ASIC in between the cart and the cpu.
The game carts for the Switch are also not just ordinary flash memory chips like an SD cart.
So you would need to go through that authentication process in order to unlock access to the the encrypted game data.
Then you would need to know how to decrypt that data.
When using software on the Switch to dump a cart, you basically have all that security stuff handled for you by the cart reader.

I also don't recall seeing any standalone 3DS cart readers.
You do know the lotus keys were dumped right? That's probably the most important thing reason for how to read on the pc. I just speculate but I just guess that's how it will work.

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you guys think this is another one of Max Lauran's products? Seems professionally done enough to be. :P
Louarn*
Also
france mentioned.jpg

his done jail time for doing something similar to the mig. looks like he never learned his lesson :P
You're talking about Gary Bowser, from what I've read Louarn never got extraded (for now)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: sigh