Hacking G6 real anywhere to buy ?

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country
Haha... *not surprised to see GBA_Temper answer this topic first*

Anyways...
tongue.gif
a website in my town has set May as preliminary release "date". I think the time is nearing!

jchen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still no release date/price? Im still deciding on G6/R4. Anyone with both want to share their opinions on them.

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
if i was in the market id go the G6 purely for the fact that it has inbuilt memory, R4 apparently has a dodgy spring in it which could ultimately lead to buying another R4... considering they do the same thing i wouldnt mind the G6

suske1245

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am pretty sure, the price of the G6 would be atleast double of that R4DS is selling for now, I mean i dont see any differences in R4DS and G6real. I would go with R4 for now.

bladerx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Still no release date/price? Im still deciding on G6/R4. Anyone with both want to share their opinions on them.

I've got the M3DS and the G6DS, up to this point I tested a handfull of things, I'll try and test download play on everygame I can pour in there tomorrow.

As declared before, Castlevania runs flawlessly on the G6DS, lo locks down, no freezin, it works perfectly.

I suggest to wait until the price is disclosed, if the 1GB version is under U$70, I believe it would be very well worth the price.

GBA_Temper

*KING OF GBATEMP*
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

TheSpade

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
its built in memory which means no chance of lag from reading the external storage!

And when you brick the memory
biggrin.gif
We haven't seen a brick in almost 2 years. If you mean the memory finally dying off, then yes, that will happen eventually. All memory dies. However, how many of your removable flash memory have died so far? How old were they? How many times were they written to? I don't know how long the memory will last, but there are still plenty of G6 3rd Gen units out there (not including the Lite models) that are still functioning. I'd dare guess via regular use, you could get 2-3 years out of it. Even if we only get 1 year out of it, there will likely be a new G6 or a competitor with a superior product in that time. Some people upgrade their flash cards once a year. Seeing that we just went from slot-2 to slot-1 in the past several months, who knows what the next step will be. Perhaps, encrypted ROM support? Who knows.

Certainly, if you have a M3 DS Simply / R4 DS and the memory dies, then all you have to do is buy a new piece. However, should the flash memory bay break beyond the repair methods used and explained by some in this community, then you're boned just as likely. Flash cards don't stand the test of time too often. It's an acceptable and expected risk. This isn't exactly a news flash. I don't wish to reveal anything concerning my upcoming G6 DS Real review, but rest assured, this is one review sample that is staying in my collection for quite awhile.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jealousy from external memory user?

as spade explained in previous post, it's unlikely to brick for at least a year

What about problems concerning the linker (ie. taking it out while copying, other stuff that the careless might perform)

I was certainly an advocate of G6DS Real as I had been getting information from Danny about it for over 2 months. The thing that puts me off the G6DS is the semi-working download play (a feature they were specifically impressing), and the chip sticking out. I know I wouldn't worry too much about the internal as I am very cautious around expensive (?) hardware.

TheSpade

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You weren't supposed to remove a floppy disk while the light on the drive was on. The same concept is here with flash memory, and all devices of this nature (MP3 players, pen drives) run under the same principle. Being a G6 Lite owner in the past, I encountered dozens of people who failed to understand that the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon in the taskbar was not an option but mandatory. There were the occassional "I know what I'm doing, but it won't work" or the "I bricked it" posts (they rarely did). This led to me writing a guide that is still here.

There will always be people using computers who don't know how to use them properly. The best advice always is to understand how to use it before you actually use it. Most people, the "careless" you mention, skip the readme.txt, manual, etc. believing they know better. Most times, there's no issues, but with flash memory, NAND drives, etc., you must be careful or else risk being S.O.L.

As for the Download Play comment, that was a mistake to claim on GBAlpha's part. I'll easily concede that. I'm genuinely shocked that very few saw this for what it really was: Just another "offbeat claim" on yet another flash card. However, someone posed a question to me earlier elsewhere which I'll paraphrase: Since the final retail product is not ready and the likelyhood of the software too not being fully utilizing the G6 DS Real, could an update between now and then sharply increase Download Play results? Yes, it's possible but unlikely. This is an instance where I hope I am wrong in that assessment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, i recall watching it on fox