Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
Canonbeat234 said:
MarkDarkness said:
You seem to be ignoring a simple fact, though: people in retail will treat you like an idiot by definition, irregardless of your sex.

Just yesterday I went to a nearby store to buy myself a new USB card reader since mine fried. The salesman persistently tried to push me one that costed the ransom of a king. The explanation for the cost? The card reader would make my computer run much faster! I of course went "uh... wtf bitch? a card reader speeding up my pc? u on drugs?"

His answer? IT WOULD SPEED UP MY COMPUTER BECAUSE IT HAD BUILT-IN BLUETHOOT.

So yeah.

That person needs to get fired, if you tell me bullshit like that I will seriously report it to the manager and complain about that crap! What I hate the most is the people that are working inside the game stores that don't know shit about games! Where I know anything from a DS to Wii, I mean seriously why cause a gamer to have headaches about something they already know what they want! The gaming industry is starting to look like security offices.

Yes this. Either someone had shitty training or just wanted to show off the size of his geek wang by throwing jargon at you. Unfortunately, I know a lot of people this tactic would work on.

The EBgames I liked had hired this amazing girl clerk. She was educated and up to date on the newest games and the dates that they were going to be "on the street". She was a gaming girl, obviously. Unfortunately, she was seasonal help, because she was everything that was good about a gamer clerk. The main problem is that they hire people that don't know anything because they look good on paper or are friends of the company execs. I personally wouldn't be able to work at an EBgames - I know only the portable consoles, and that's it.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
astrangeone said:
The main problem is that they hire people that don't know anything because they look good on paper or are friends of the company execs. I personally wouldn't be able to work at an EBgames - I know only the portable consoles, and that's it.

I know what you mean by this. I recently (By recent, I mean a few months ago) applied for a job at a local GameStop...

I'm 17, have tons of gaming experience, references, proper etiquette, previous work experience, and I even had a resume...I didn't give it to them, since it's a basic entry-level job, but I told them they could review it upon request. I never got a call, even though I called them once (It's always good to be persistent, so they know you want the job)...

I'm not disappointed, because I now realize how ridiculously ignorant I could have became to new, casual, and even experience gamers with my job. By that, I mean everything you listed in the original post.

Davess

On the list :D (Thanks Haflore)
Trophies
Website
www.daviddavid.webs.com
XP
Country
Canada
astrangeone said:
. I'm shopping online now for all my needs.
No! (unless you want to)

If you live near Toronto, I know a great Video gaming store, (No B-S Policies), Its a homebusiness , Called Gamerama, Pretty cheap, Everyday A Jewish guy fixes game consoles everyday, Then he prays, The owners real nice.

smileipb2.png

astrangeone

OP
Trophies
Website
www.shophandmade.com
XP
Country
Canada
davess said:
astrangeone said:
No! (unless you want to)

If you live near Toronto, I know a great Video gaming store, (No B-S Policies), Its a homebusiness , Called Gamerama, Pretty cheap, Everyday A Jewish guy fixes game consoles everyday, Then he prays, The owners real nice.

smileipb2.png

Cool, what's the address? I can check it out!

Davess

On the list :D (Thanks Haflore)
Trophies
Website
www.daviddavid.webs.com
XP
Country
Canada
astrangeone said:
davess said:
astrangeone said:
No! (unless you want to)

smileipb2.png

Cool, what's the address? I can check it out!
Its on young street:

heres the address:

2370A Yonge Street
Toronto, ON M4P 2E6, Canada
(416) 487-5501

I have too warn, The Jewish guys a bit rude
frown.gif

Edit: I dont recommend getting a console fixed there, The games are a Decent Price thou

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Walmart is the ass of the employment world. At least McDonald's workers are polite to you most of the time.

You have to respond to them the only way they know how: by being mean as hell to them. Yes it may sound mean but in the end you're saved the trouble of having to deal with their bull!

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
astrangeone said:
3) Upselling/Extended Warranty: Let me repeat that, I NEVER buy extended warrenties. Unless I'm not confident about the stuff I buy. (I bought the launch PSP with the extended warranty because I figured the UMD drive was the most vulernable thing in the box.) Employees tend to tell me that the item I buy is not so good, and tends to fail. I do research before buying my stuff, and I tend to think that extended warranties are just a way to make more cash money.

Don't take that one personally. They try and sell that crap to everyone, in fact in many stores they're required to try and sell those by their bosses. That one's got nothing to do with what you have or haven't got in your pants.

QUOTE(Advice Dog @ Dec 31 2009, 03:22 PM) Walmart is the ass of the employment world. At least McDonald's workers are polite to you most of the time.

You have to respond to them the only way they know how: by being mean as hell to them. Yes it may sound mean but in the end you're saved the trouble of having to deal with their bull!

That's not nice. For one thing, I rarely find Walmart employees to be anything but polite. Uninformed, ignorant, and flat out wrong about things, yeah, but very polite about it -- so long as you're not being an ass to them anyway. Are you sure you're not the problem in these interactions? There's no reason to be mean to a lowly peon, save that for the managers or phone calls to corporate if you have to escalate things. The clerks/cashiers don't have any power, there's no point in getting all up in their faces. This goes for other stores too, there's no reason to take things out on the low men (and women) on the totem pole. They're just doing their job, probably for very little pay.

XXNatus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Walmart is the ass of the employment world.

Couldn't agree more. I remember a time I went in to my local Walmart to buy a game (can't recall the title) and politely asked an employee if she could get it for me (it was locked behind glass) she made a face and a noise that I'll never forget, it was as if I were asking her to carry the world on her back. I got a little mad, and reminded her that it was her job, and that if she hated her job that was not my problem she was still getting paid to do it.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
I mean the ones that are mean to you. Walmart is one of my favorite places to hang around, namely because it's somewhere easy for me and my friends to get together for whatever, and we usually buy something at the store once in a while so nobody really minds. But while a lot of the employees are nice and pretty cool, there's always a few of them who are complete assholes because they're too lazy or mean to get a better job.

And where does management place them? the gaming section. They always take advantage of the customers by being know-it-alls and rushing to sell what they think customers want and what'll land them commission (i.e. extended warranty). You have to be stern to them and let them know that you're not there to take their crap.

One time was when I was going there to buy Brawl.

When I tried to ask politely, some fucker told me that the game was gay (to quote!) and that I should buy COD4 for Xbox 360. He said it had better online and graphics. I argued for 10 minutes before giving up. (I don't own an Xbox. hahaha)

When I went back after cooling off, I got pissed at him, threatening to go to the manager. I got my game in a few minutes.

I don't like being mean but I just don't take shit from people like that.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you think Walmart employees treat you like shit, you ought to hear how that company treats it's own employees.

There's a number of reasons why so many of them are irate.

And more often than not they hire people completely unsuited to giving electronics advice.
Why?
They're cheaper.

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Edhel said:
Raki said:
Edhel said:
I order most of my games online now. I don't have to put up with game store employees and it usually works out cheaper anyway.

Well I do this as well since gamestores here do want the full retail price while online stores like amazon want a lot less...
Only thing, that sucks about amazon: They only send out 18+ games for 5 Euro shipping cost because the DHL-guy needs to check your ID-card...also the one who ordered the item must be the one who takes the package...

and you are a girl? always thought the opposite...
biggrin.gif

That's a very strange policy by Amazon. I figured you'd have to be over 18 to have a credit card to order anyway. Then again maybe they accept alternative payment options.
unsure.gif

Maybe I am.
wink.gif

Well at least the german Amazon accepts different payment methods than credit card, but I guess you're just allowed to open up a account if you're 18 or older. Or at least they could just request a Copy of your ID card...
well then I'll buy those games at Amazon UK

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +2