Android Gamecube emulator possible for Android at all, or in near future?

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Agreed. Apps can only use a single core, to my knowledge, so increasing cores wouldn't help. One single processor would have to massively increase in power, and so far none of them are going beyond 1.5 ghz.

Reactions: 1 person

LucienLukeHughes

Trophies
XP
In the future maybe, like...10 years from now. We can barely get N64/PS1 emulators running. Don't expect it anytime soon.

Umad? I have N64, PS1 and Even GTA III (PS2) Emulators running flawlessly on my single core Xperia PLAY. Imagine how much better it would run on a Tegra 3 or 4?
Hell, there's even a PS1 emulator for the Dreamcast >.>

LucienLukeHughes

Trophies
XP
Games like Paper Mario 2 and Super Paper Mario aren't as heavy to run on emulators, so they could possibly run well on phones within a few years. Games like Super Mario Galaxy will take a lot longer to perfect on phones (they're not even full speed on PCs, unless you have an ungodly system with a overclocked i7 and dual graphics cards in SLI (or a high end dual-GPU card), I don't know for sure if they're fullspeed on that - but they definitely require a very powerful GPU, because I can't run SMG fullspeed with a CPU overclocked to 3.8ghz and a GTX 465. Super Paper Mario however runs fullspeed without much trouble, and a lot of GC games run fullspeed with frameskip. New Super Mario Bros also runs fullspeed (even when recording with Fraps, as long as it's 720p)
Aren't they Wii games? We're talking Gamecube here, the CPU is half the power.
Agreed. Apps can only use a single core, to my knowledge, so increasing cores wouldn't help. One single processor would have to massively increase in power, and so far none of them are going beyond 1.5 ghz.
Multithreading is perfectly possible in apps, and if it was well made it wouldn't need a massive clock speed...

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
In the future maybe, like...10 years from now. We can barely get N64/PS1 emulators running. Don't expect it anytime soon.

Umad? I have N64, PS1 and Even GTA III (PS2) Emulators running flawlessly on my single core Xperia PLAY. Imagine how much better it would run on a Tegra 3 or 4?
Hell, there's even a PS1 emulator for the Dreamcast >.>
Oh, so they have 100% compatibility now?

Oh wait.

And no mads here, I got N64, GTA 3, and PS1 emulators on my hp touchpad.

EDIT: oh also, the CPU architecture of the dreamcast and a phone are vastly different, so your last statement doesn't mean shit. Just thought you should know ;)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Games like Paper Mario 2 and Super Paper Mario aren't as heavy to run on emulators, so they could possibly run well on phones within a few years. Games like Super Mario Galaxy will take a lot longer to perfect on phones (they're not even full speed on PCs, unless you have an ungodly system with a overclocked i7 and dual graphics cards in SLI (or a high end dual-GPU card), I don't know for sure if they're fullspeed on that - but they definitely require a very powerful GPU, because I can't run SMG fullspeed with a CPU overclocked to 3.8ghz and a GTX 465. Super Paper Mario however runs fullspeed without much trouble, and a lot of GC games run fullspeed with frameskip. New Super Mario Bros also runs fullspeed (even when recording with Fraps, as long as it's 720p)
Aren't they Wii games? We're talking Gamecube here, the CPU is half the power.
Multithreading is perfectly possible in apps, and if it was well made it wouldn't need a massive clock speed...
Paper Mario 2 isn't. However Wii/GC should be counted as one since they're so similar, and a lot of Wii games are as easy to emulate as GC games.
Wii/GC emulation will probably be perfected on PCs (as perfect as it can get) before it gets playable speeds on any mobile device. However that means that when mobile devices do get the neccessary power, Wii/GC emulation will just be a porting job away from working almost perfectly on mobile devices.
I'm looking forward to the day I can play Wii games on the go, maybe even with Nintendo WFC support.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
EDIT: oh also, the CPU architecture of the dreamcast and a phone are vastly different, so your last statement doesn't mean shit. Just thought you should know ;)
The Dreamcast runs on an SH4 CPU, compatible with Windows CE. It's not only very much like a phone CPU, it's actually an architecture designed for PocketPC palmtops, in other words, proto-smartphones.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
The Dreamcast runs on an SH4 CPU, compatible with Windows CE. It's not only very much like a phone CPU, it's actually an architecture designed for PocketPC palmtops, in other words, proto-smartphones.
I...actually was not aware of this. Huh.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I...actually was not aware of this. Huh.
The choice was made because Sega wanted an extensive OS for their machine. Windows CE was never "fully" on the console though - to prevent the Dreamcast from using too many resources and running parts of the system it didn't need, the modules of Windows CE were scattered all over various discs so that each game only used the parts it needed. This way the games could "enjoy" great internet connectivity, great 3D rendering for the time, multimedia and so on and so forth, each of those parts was a separate plugin. That, and the games were easily programmable for those who previously made CE application.

Some people still attempt to port Dreamcast games to be playable on standard CE platforms, with more or less success. Mostly less. Still, that's how it worked.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking forward to the day I can play Wii games on the go, maybe even with Nintendo WFC support.
Will be extremely interesting to see how/if this plays out for Wii games that actually use the motion controls (without having to use the wiimote, of course)... Mapping them to the touch screen, or directions to keys, perhaps? Or in the case of controller add-ons (id est, the iControlPad) mapping motion controls to the dpad or analog slider? I can see that feature on the iControlpad (using the right analog slider) making games like Skyward Sword somewhat playable.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even if we could, I don't know if we would want too. I have all the emulators and I'm not really a big fan of the touch controls on any of them, except for games with simple controls (like say, sonic). Before you say you can attach a controller, that seems rather silly to me.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
i suppose. i used to keep my iControlpad in my other pocket with me, since my phone was my main gaming machine for emulators (and the iControlpad is about the same size as a smart phone). now that i have a 3ds i don't use it as much (she it has relocated to my backpack to make room for the 3ds), but it's still my preferred method for playing snes, nes, and genesis, while my scdst handles gbc and gba. my only wish is that the 3ds had stable home console emulators (even the nes emulator just doesn't look right no matter how you adjust the display), a super amoled screen, and comfier controls (the icontrolpad feels so much comfier than the 3ds).

so yeah. .. no idea why i went on that tangent right there. lol

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Lol PSX4Droid.
FPse anyone?
FPSE = Good emulator, horrible UI
PSX4Droid = Horrible emulator, good UI.

Btw, am I the only person who has trouble with FPSE remembering my preferences? Pretty much everytime I start it up, I have to reinput EVERY FREAKING KEY MAPPING AND DISPLAY OPTION :nayps3:

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Will be extremely interesting to see how/if this plays out for Wii games that actually use the motion controls (without having to use the wiimote, of course)... Mapping them to the touch screen, or directions to keys, perhaps? Or in the case of controller add-ons (id est, the iControlPad) mapping motion controls to the dpad or analog slider? I can see that feature on the iControlpad (using the right analog slider) making games like Skyward Sword somewhat playable.
The way Dolphin does it currently is simply mapping specific motions (shake, etc) to keys, and additionally having keys that will "move" the emulated wiimote.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
@Pingouin7 not in my case. ... i keep having to redo my settings, even among the same game... and even so, why? it's stupid to not have an option for universal settings, imo.

Silithas

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Wow, 10 years goes fast! /sarcasm
My phone has quadcore and runs n64 and ps1 smoothly at 60 fps even with only use of 2/4 cores.

If there came a gamecube, nds or xbox emu witch supports quadcore/tegra 3, it would run just as smooth ;)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Uhh, It's 🌯 Saturday dude. :) js
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nope that for tomorrow, cinco de mayo, today is bbq chicken on the grill.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's new years I forgot
    +2
    :hrth::toot::grog::grog::grog::bow: HAPPY BIRTHDAY to me :bow::grog::grog::toot::hrth:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    One day away from Juan's birthday
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Only if you send him feet
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Happy birthday!
    +1
    Thank You :D
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    heh I got a guy who created an account just yesterday asking me where to find mig switch roms
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    too much FBI watching this website to answer that kind of question lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Has the mig switch found loopholes without requiring game keys?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @AncientBoi, happy birthday
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Lonely here
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Anybody?
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I want my money back... Drug test? No drugs to test but they want me to pee in a cup! Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Better call Pedro you're up in smoke
    +2
  • C @ Clayton44333:
    hey any1 know if there is a new version of the ps4 homebrew store ?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Finally there are people here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We're figments of your imagination
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, prove it
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it