Games you like, but nobody else does?

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it's a big problem when developers can't adjust random encounters properly. They should be as the name implies - random, not constant. They should come as a surprise, catch you off-guard with unexpected combat and test your skills, too much encounters turns the game into an experience grinder which is never good.

Foxi, all randomly triggered encounters are constant. If something happens every 20 seconds, that is constant. Now let's say you randomize it a little and make some encounters happen anywhere between 10 seconds to 25 seconds. (it's decided randomly) How is that any better? It's still constant! It's even worse now since they will usually occur more frequently than if they had been 20 seconds apart.

If they were exactly 20 seconds apart, and not random, how is the player supposed to know? The player is unlikely to notice unless they take our a stopwatch and time it. Only through the sheer repitition of the encounters, the player starts to conclusively notice some degree of randomness which they aren't simply imagining. (e.g. those cases where the next encounter begins almost immediately after the previous one)

The "random" part of randomly triggered encounters is probably the least significant aspect of them, and arguably just makes them worse. How is it any better if your browser window crashes once every 20-40 seconds as opposed to once every 30 seconds on the dot. In either case the browser is unusable. In either case the browser is constantly crashing. You say that random encounters should feel random, but no Japanese RPG has ever had offered encounters that had felt "random" in the way you describe. After every given encounter the player is well aware that the next encounter is imminent. That could not be described as feeling random. "repeated" "repetitive" "constant" "nonmstop" and "endless" are better words to describe it. As is "unplayable". And that knowledge of knowing the next encounter is coming up is partly what destroys the experience in RPGs since you know none of it is real, it is just a hackneyed and stereotypical by-the-numbers exercise in systematically rapid firing encounters at your face so the game isn't too short and so you are leveling up consistently. (you say RPGs aren't about stats? Then you should hate randomly triggered encounters!)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Okay zeello, you don't like random encounters, I disagree as I find your "con's" to be "pro's" when utilized correctly, so obviously we'll never agree. Perhaps you like some games that nobody else you know does? Because that's what this thread is about.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon serie is my favorite gaming serie of all time. No one likes it because it's pokémon, and no one gave the awesome story a chance.

I liked Metroid Other M.

And Michael Jackson's Moonwalk for the SMS. That has to be with childhood nostalgia though. I agree it's just a terrible game and port.

thesupremegamer

Trophies
XP
Country
The Pokémon Mystery Dungeon serie is my favorite gaming serie of all time. No one likes it because it's pokémon, and no one gave the awesome story a chance.

I liked Metroid Other M.

And Michael Jackson's Moonwalk for the SMS. That has to be with childhood nostalgia though. I agree it's just a terrible game and port.
i personaly find mystery dungeon tedius and uninteresting but thats just me ^^ the music was good though

Sarvesh50

Aye!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I like Herion Hero do you people like this game too?

0.jpg

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I like Herion Hero do you people like this game too?

0.jpg

(yeeeey, south park reference)

I can't deny that Race the sun basically IS Heroin hero with a different theme. It's not like you're ever going to catch up to the dragon sun, it goes on endlessly and there's also boosts (albeit not drugs).

antnj81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (NES)
- Friday The 13th (NES)
- Adventures Of Link (NES)
- ET (Atari 2600)
- Michael Jordan - Chaos In the Windy City (SNES)
- Boomer's Adventure in Asmik World (Gameboy)

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue (PSone) - This game is quite decent, it's got nice graphics, good music and is just really fun to play. It's a beat 'em up with some platforming aspects. Seriously though look up the soundtrack.
*Every version is made by a different company; this is the only one worth looking into. The n64 version is the very definition of garbage.

Secret Agent Barbie : Royal Jewels Mission (GBA) - It's actually quite good. One of my relatives bought it because it had Barbie in the title but it ended up a fun game.

Shadow The Hedgehog (GCN) - I dunno what to say; it's got a lot of content, good music, it's a 3D Sonic game.

Power Rangers S.P.D. (GBA) - I remember playing through this game once and it was fun, never felt boring, maybe a little repetitive.

Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour (GBC) - Nothing special, just liked it.

Zatch Bell! Mamodo Fury (GCN) - It's somewhat broken but I like to think that only made it more fun and challenging.

Frogger's Adventures TotF (GBA) - It's Frogger but with more stuff.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Leeches can't afford a $60 handheld:angry: