Homebrew Emulation GameYob, a gameboy emulator for DS

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hey nitendo can you please point me to the .ips patch for Super Mario Land 2 colorisation? I can only find a .gbp one. Thanks.

nitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: nakata6790

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The post with all the custom borders got buried in the thread again. Could you put them in the first post?

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Reactions: Boriar and 2ndApex

Boriar

Trophies
XP
Country

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I think it would be a good idea. If not a link directly to the files, almost a link to the posts.

Maybe would be better if someone posted all the borders in filetrip, all of them in one rar file ...and linking that to the first post. I think it's the handier situation..

(someone could update the file, if new borders get eventually made also, I guess..)

But linking to the already set download links would work too.

PJM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would it be possible to have a custom border for each game? Instead of having a default one for games with no border, I'd like to create some game specific ones.

They could have the same filename, just with a .bmp extension, or if that's used for artwork or something in a loader like BagPlug, then have a -border suffix added instead.

Something like this:
Metroid II - Return of Samus.gb
Metroid II - Return of Samus-border.bmp

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Would it be possible to have a custom border for each game? (...)
I think that if borders were specific to each games as you described, things would get too messy for people with a lot of games (and the amount of duplicated borders, and the work to rename them all specifically to each game would get kinda crazy...)

Drenn already said that he plans to do a border selection system that would work in the emulator menu (certainly without the need for fixed img names, like "border.bmp").

After doing that, a option like "default border to this game", in the border selection menu would be cool though ...if possible.

I think that would be a clean solution ...and default game borders would be changed without the need to go back to the PC, duplicate a border and rename it..

By now, the easiest way to swipe boarders is using the method that I described in my boarders post, linked some posts above here.

PJM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think that if borders were specific to each games as you described, things would get too messy for people with a lot of games (and the amount of duplicated borders, and the work to rename them all specifically to each game would get kinda crazy...)

Drenn already said that he plans to do a border selection system that would work in the emulator menu (certainly without the need for fixed img names, like "border.bmp").

After doing that, a option like "default border to this game", in the border selection menu would be cool though ...if possible.

I think that would be a clean solution ...and default game borders would be changed without the need to go back to the PC, duplicate a border and rename it..

By now, the easiest way to swipe boarders is using the method that I described in my boarders post, linked some posts above here.
I must've missed that, having it in emulator would be cool.

My method wouldn't need any duplicated borders though, you could still have a default one that is border.bmp or whatever, and if it sees a matching file name bmp, override the default one. But that isn't necessary if it's selectable in emu, so yeah, as long as it gets implemented in one way or another, I'm happy. Also, with my method you wouldn't need to configure anything in every game, the border would just show up. I only plan on making maybe 10 of them, but if someone wanted lets say 50, they would have to go into the games and set the border individually 50 times :/. And it wouldn't have to be messy.. The bmps could be in a border folder and still match to match the file names in the separate rom folder.

nitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

Had some time to bulk-test the latest build of gameYob (0.3.159).
The test was a simple "will it run"-test and encompassed only a few seconds of gameplay - no extensive testing was done.

Regular GameBoy: 100 roms tested
4 roms failed (*Fails in lameBoy as well):

Battle of Olympus: White-screen
Bubble Bobble: Breaks when gameplay starts
Pinball Deluxe*: No gameplay possible
The Smurfs*: White-screen

Color GameBoy: 80 roms tested
1 rom failed:

Donald Duck - Goin' Quackers: No gameplay possible
(No sound & player sprite invisible in lameBoy)

Conclusion: Excellent work Drenn!!!

/dACE a.k.a Nitendo

nitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi...again..

One request for the long awaited v0.4 release: Drenn, can you make so that the GBC bios file can be placed somewhere else?

My idea is something like this:
1. First, check in the same directory as the gameYob.nds file
2. Then, check in the Root:\data directory (possibly even in a Root:\data\gameyob or Root:\gameyob directory)
3. Lastly, check in the same directory as the loaded rom

/dACE a.k.a Nitendo

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Using the latest build of Gameyob alot of GBC games will not start with the GBC bios turned on it just shows the GAMEBOY logo then freezes, some do but alot of others dont including the Pokemon games. All original gameboy games work fine with the bios running and those same games that wont work with the GBC bios on will run fine with it off. Anyone have this problem?

Drenn

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Using the latest build of Gameyob alot of GBC games will not start with the GBC bios turned on it just shows the GAMEBOY logo then freezes, some do but alot of others dont including the Pokemon games. All original gameboy games work fine with the bios running and those same games that wont work with the GBC bios on will run fine with it off. Anyone have this problem?

If you're using hacked roms with a bad checksum the bios will freeze up. If commercial games aren't booting, well that's a cause for concern. You'll want to make sure you have a clean rom. Pokemon games work for me.
Hi...again..

One request for the long awaited v0.4 release: Drenn, can you make so that the GBC bios file can be placed somewhere else?

My idea is something like this:
1. First, check in the same directory as the gameYob.nds file
2. Then, check in the Root:\data directory (possibly even in a Root:\data\gameyob or Root:\gameyob directory)
3. Lastly, check in the same directory as the loaded rom

/dACE a.k.a Nitendo

I think I made an option in the config file for that, there should be a line that says "biosfile=". After the equals sign you specify the location of the bios.
And thanks for your tests, I'll examine those games at some point.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If you're using hacked roms with a bad checksum the bios will freeze up. If commercial games aren't booting, well that's a cause for concern. You'll want to make sure you have a clean rom. Pokemon games work for me.

I think I made an option in the config file for that, there should be a line that says "biosfile=". After the equals sign you specify the location of the bios.

Im not using any hacked games, and all my games were working just fine in one of the earlier versions of gameyob with the bios running. So just a heads up

nitendo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
And thanks for your tests, I'll examine those games at some point.

Right you are - thanks for the information.

The tests were conducted to prove GameYob's superiority over LameBoy (regarding compatibility) -
consider examine the faulty games only if anyone else want you to - I'm more than pleased as it is.

/dACE

Kurt91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the GBC bios for, anyways? I just downloaded the emulator and some games to play on it, and it seems to work just fine for me. At least, I don't remember having had to look for a bios file.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro