Hacking Gateway 3DS - First 3DS flash card?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
But if it's 1:1 how can they block it?
i mean all you mention abowe is just like real thing (i think)

i mean if speed doesn't match than older legit carts couldn't be loaded eather.. because (i think) Getaway fakes (i mean imitate) everything legit carts do..
It's not 1:1. If it was 1:1 then it'd be an actual physical game cart from Nintendo.
http://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/

modshroom128

Trophies
Website
modshroom128.imgur.com
XP
Country
United States
i feel like the whole 1:1 cart mimic paradigm would make piracy unbearable with the 3ds and hopefully blocking this flashcard from the mainstream pocket.

here's hoping the 3ds doesn't get a proper "ez" exploit for another 2-3 years.

Mefisteso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I belive, that any single game card could be formatted into binary size. Looking forward to its capabilities and some confirmation.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
you like this
http://gbatemp.net/posts/4650945

let get back on topic

Ahaha that's great, thanks :D

movie3.gif

By the way, is this Flip-Note animation or...?

elisherer

I ♥ 3DS
Trophies
Website
www.sherer.co.il
XP
Country
Iceland
I don't see how checking the card ID can help when 3ds games are supposed to be playable on any 3ds. Yea, Nintendo is gonna know something's up when 100,000 people's play-logs show the same cart ID, but how can they be sure not to lock put the 1 honest customer's game if there is no detectable difference amongst them?

As far as the speed check goes, I don't know, but Neimod did say something interesting on IRC today. He said that unlike the DS, 3ds I/O speeds are actually slower than microSD. If that is the case, and there is a way for the card to regulate I/O speed to the correct spec at all times, maybe there is no way for the 3ds to single out a flashcard with speed checks. (Pure speculation, btw)

I'm sure Nintendo would think of something :)

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I wonder if the cart can use trimmed roms.
That should make it possible to use a 4GB SD for an 4GiB rom (instead of the 8GB+ SD you would need for the full rom)

Even better if it really supports multiple roms.
I don't have many stats but I would expect trimmed roms to be 15-20% smaller on average.

virgildraco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
when saying you need an SD card the same size as the rom, how is it possible? i mean i've never seen an SD card with 2Gb its always a little less, there are always corrupt memory on the memory cards right? so how can you put a 2Gb rom in a 2Gb SDcard

Reactions: Metoroid0

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
when saying you need an SD card the same size as the rom, how is it possible? i mean i've never seen an SD card with 2Gb its always a little less, there are always corrupt memory on the memory cards right? so how can you put a 2Gb rom in a 2Gb SDcard
They're always a little less because of the way formatted storage works. 2 GBs on an SD is 2,000,000,000 bytes give or take a few thousand. ROMS, on the other had, always come in powers of 2. In the 2GB case, its 2^31 or exactly 2,147,483,648 bytes. Pong's argument is completely invalidated because of this fact: a decimal GB < binary GB, therefore a size nGB ROM can never fit in a size nGB microSD.

Reactions: Metoroid0

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan

Than you put it on 4GB sd card that is formated into binary size, as Mefisteso said.

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now the real question is can the card be updated to play newer games when Nintendo blocks it;)

Yer if it can't be updated it going to become pretty useless quickly :(

If it is indeed true about it having a game manager I may get one but the roms will still have all the padding, so will still need a lot of SD cards :( unless the game manager cut the padding which I delt as it has no way to be signed again.

Hopefully a softmod CFW solution comes available, as flash card are a bit old fashioned now-a-days.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the padding as it is stored in the roms (meaning AFTER signing, encryption, etc) are lots and lots of 0x00s
rather easy to restore even on the fly

edit: its 0xff not 0x00, but that doesn't change anything

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
I don't see how checking the card ID can help when 3ds games are supposed to be playable on any 3ds. Yea, Nintendo is gonna know something's up when 100,000 people's play-logs show the same cart ID, but how can they be sure not to lock put the 1 honest customer's game if there is no detectable difference amongst them?

As far as the speed check goes, I don't know, but Neimod did say something interesting on IRC today. He said that unlike the DS, 3ds I/O speeds are actually slower than microSD. If that is the case, and there is a way for the card to regulate I/O speed to the correct spec at all times, maybe there is no way for the 3ds to single out a flashcard with speed checks. (Pure speculation, btw)

no not the cart ID, the Chip ID, Nintendo can ask the 3DS to just check the actual cart hardware, and as it wont be a flashed game chip that nintendo used, the 3DS will go "well clearly this isnt an official game chip, you can bugger off if you think im loading that"

and you get exact cart size Micro SD by Formatting them correctly, like then you format a HDD you can specify the space and leave the rest unallocated
so get a 2GB and you can Format it to NCSD 1024MB leaving the rest unallocated and then flash the rom to it

alot of people appear to have missed this post

http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-first-3ds-flash-card.348671/page-34#post-4659798

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
no not the cart ID, the Chip ID, Nintendo can ask the 3DS to just check the actual cart hardware, and as it wont be a flashed game chip that nintendo used, the 3DS will go "well clearly this isnt an official game chip, you can bugger off if you think im loading that"

and you get exact cart size Micro SD by Formatting them correctly, like then you format a HDD you can specify the space and leave the rest unallocated
so get a 2GB and you can Format it to NCSD 1024MB leaving the rest unallocated and then flash the rom to it

alot of people appear to have missed this post

http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateway-3ds-first-3ds-flash-card.348671/page-34#post-4659798

Whom you are talking to does not count as much what you are saying.

So your proposed flashcart is smart enough to interpret a partitioning header (eg. MBR, GPT)
and correct the offset in data position that results from its use.

But it can't send fake data should it need to.

Why would that be? It simply makes no sense at all.

Reactions: raulpica and Riku

Riku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats definitely not a problem for FPGA that handles SD card and hardware emulation, it can generate whatever responds (cart ID, chip ID etc..) you program it to. it may be not implemented in first flashcards, but can be added with software update later if necessary

same here. what you calling NCSD is just RAW data dumped from cart's nand chip block-by-block. FPGA easily can handle different filesystems

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i will wait for a review or release before commenting.... looking at top 3ds games in the meantime :P hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1