Gateway 3DS v2.0 F.A.Q. New 20th October.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok let me just say this. Back when there was the whole debate over should we update over 4.5 or not, it was said MANY times that it was only useful for developers and it will most likely never see the light of day. Lots of people said it wasn't important and we would never be able to use it. I read many times "oh go ahead and update, there's no reason not to". You people have no right to go around saying you warned us not to update. So please stop saying this. It's not like we knew it would go anywhere.

*steps down off soap box*

you may now continue the discussion. I have given my two cents and will not say anymore.

Okay let me just say this. Back when Gateway was first announced, you were 100% against the idea because it didn't/still doesn't allow for homebrew. Then, you receive a free copy, and you're suddenly okay with using it for more than homebrew, and now it's the best thing ever. You, sir, are a hypocrite.

*steps down off soap box*

Sorry, had to get that out of my system. On topic, I don't think we'll see this for a few weeks if not a month or two. I also don't see them getting multirom support out before the update is released (since Poketards outnumber multiromtards).

TuckerTheWheelman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
they say they wont stop until they have pokemon and animal crossing support, this upsets me, i want emunand now and not have to wait for this feature when i will just buy pokemon Y.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't get me wrong, I am excited for this update. i was just voicing my opinion

Oh, I know that. If I came as a bit standoff-ish, I apologize. I think a lot of us are genuinely excited for this update, and as much as we want to see it come now, the team's going to do what they set out to do, and a lot of us want to see a polished update out the door, even if it means waiting a little bit.

_kbnft

Lab Member
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm just worried that Ninty will release a new fw that prevents emunand to be loaded because Gateway is too busy keeping its promises.

EDIT: I just realized we can probably force fw update from a retail 6.1 game so I'm not worried if Gateway takes forever. :P

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do elaborate/why should I respect grinding?

It's essentially the "Steroids vs hardwork" argument. While pokegen/sav can be used to make pokemon well within the rules(like steroids), does that make it fair for anyone who did it manually? Not everyone uses pokegen so not everyone is on an even playing field, they are getting a "boost" if you will. You may say they are "saving time" with it but i guarantee you more then half the ppl who use the programs have never IV/EV trained period so they arent saving time if they dont have the skill to begin with. I know some who use it who cant even beat the game or reach lvl 100 without some 3rd party help which is sad. Most ppl who use them have never IV/EV trained because it was so hard in past gens but thats no excuse this gen with super training and destiny knot. But whatever, that's just my opinion.

ON TOPIC: We'll be in for a long wait before this update is released. Im expecting about a month or 2.

Reactions: gamefan5

TwilightWarrior

GBATEMP'S Official Boss
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This just came in from the gateway site:

"After receiving alot of emails with questions on our new 2.0 firmware update, we decided to answer some recurring questions :

- Are you working on multirom support? Yes, we are working on multirom support. We hope to have it ready for the 2.0 release.

- Are you working on nand savegame support for pokemon/animal crossing? Yes, we will have pokemon and animal crossing working for the 2.0 release, we will not stop until we have this working!

- What can I do with emunand? It will emulate the system's storage and redirect it to SD, which allows you to update the "emulated NAND" to latest firmware while still keeping your system's physical NAND storage to 4.5. This means you won't need to miss out on fun things like eShop and more.

- Will you support retail gamecards? Yes, we will add an option to launch the original firmware (with emunand support) so you can play retail gamecards.

- Will you support saving without needing to close the application? Yes, we are working on directly updating the savegame file on SD when the savegame chip is being updated. We hope to have it ready for the 2.0 release.

- Are you working on supporting online play? We will start working on this after the 2.0 release.

- Are you working on supporting 5.x and 6.x 3DS systems? Yes, we have still not given up hope to support these consoles. But please be patient."

I was planning on getting the gateway but I can't play regular games on it yet? Can someone please explain because I have pokemon y and wouldnt want to not be able to play it if I have the gateway, afterall it has my save file

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was planning on getting the gateway but I can't play regular games on it yet? Can someone please explain because I have pokemon y and wouldnt want to not be able to play it if I have the gateway, afterall it has my save file

Pokemon X&Y are 6.X, unless you have two 3ds, they would have updated you past 4.5, so you can't use Gateway anyway.

As for the actual question. You can't play retail games in Gateway mode at the moment.

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Interresting, does that mean even people without gateway will be able to play region free cartridges and use emunand (as long as they're still on 4.5), or maybe they've added some sort of anti-piracy (like you have to insert the red gateway cart before first use).

I would think so, you would just need to install the Gateway Exploit using a different flashcard.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The reasons for not using steroids and other forms of doping go somewhat deeper (they often mess you up in a big way) and depending upon the particular implementation of steroids you can kind of exceed biology or indeed your biology. Granted some of the logic used by various doping commissions (especially animal ones) can be a bit suspect but that is possibly a different discussion.

Earlier today I had a quick scan through EV/IV breakdowns (read read the bulbapedia articles). If we are going that far how many of the EV/IV people figured out the system (whether through observation or I will even take reverse engineering code here). Either way it reduces to "grind more" (I can make a fairly simple guide/flow chart I reckon) and I am not inclined to accuse grinding of being a skill or even an activity of great merit as far as being competitive goes (if it helps you relax I am certainly not about to diss it there).

About as far as I can get is it potentially reduces the time taken to achieve equilibrium in high level play and I am not sure pokemon was designed as an alternate reality game.

Reactions: gamefan5

Zaneris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Still no 6.x support means a massive amount of potential sales losses for them due to anyone who hasn't bought one yet Nd already has pokemon (biggest release for the 3ds yet).

If they can't support 6.x eventually, it means a dwindling market for them and eventual demise of the gateway.

Rinth

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I'm impressed by what they aim to bring. I'm looking forward to 2.0.

Still no 6.x support means a massive amount of potential sales losses for them due to anyone who hasn't bought one yet Nd already has pokemon (biggest release for the 3ds yet).

If they can't support 6.x eventually, it means a dwindling market for them and eventual demise of the gateway.

That will only be the case if a competitor who can support 6.x comes out. Otherwise people can only wait.

Gateway will probably provide support for 6.x some day, but it may take months.

Amber Lamps

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason why I am on version 4.5 still is coincidence. I stopped gaming after I updated to 4.5 and eventually this gateway came out and I checked and I was at 4.5 so I was golden. Still waiting for my shipment. The shop I bought it from has since lowered their price by 5 bucks but won't offer refund the difference even though I haven't recieved it yet lol. I'll never order there again but it is only 5 dollars which isn't a lot. Next time, RHS... because RHS is no bullshit.

TwilightWarrior

GBATEMP'S Official Boss
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pokemon X&Y are 6.X, unless you have two 3ds, they would have updated you past 4.5, so you can't use Gateway anyway.

As for the actual question. You can't play retail games in Gateway mode at the moment.

You can play pokemon on a 4.5 3ds can't you, as long as your not connected to the internet, or am I wrong? And is there any way to come out of gatway mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1