Hardware Misc GB Studio on Steam Deck

WiiDSXLandKnuckles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not exactly the best place to post this, but maybe someone will be interested.
Anyway, I recently purchased a Steam Deck and was wondering if it would be possible to get GB Studio running on it. There's been a few posts over various subreddits and discord servers, but it seems no one has managed it yet.

I'm new to linux, which doesn't exactly help the situation...

Thanks in advance.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Strange. A quick Google showed it has a Linux port, and getting non steam windows games (or rather: programs) to run hasn't let me down so far. The process of adding programs is a bit finicky, though.

(and of course you've got to wonder whether it's convenient. Most mouse controlled programs do'okay' on the deck. Then again: there's a Docking mode if you invest in it).

WiiDSXLandKnuckles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange. A quick Google showed it has a Linux port, and getting non steam windows games (or rather: programs) to run hasn't let me down so far. The process of adding programs is a bit finicky, though.

(and of course you've got to wonder whether it's convenient. Most mouse controlled programs do'okay' on the deck. Then again: there's a Docking mode if you invest in it).
They have a linux build. Just get the appimage, make it executable, and then run it.
I'll try reading up on installing different versions. Like I said, I'm new to Linux, so I could be missing something stupid...

Anyway, I've seen a few posts like this talking about it to and it don't seem like anyone has found a solid way.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'll try reading up on installing different versions. Like I said, I'm new to Linux, so I could be missing something stupid...

Anyway, I've seen a few posts like this talking about it to and it don't seem like anyone has found a solid way.

A question: have you tried running it through proton (recently)? That post is from 9 moths ago, and there have been quite some improvements to proton since then.

Again: running windows software on the deck is a bit finnicky to do, but it's worth trying. :)

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
.____. I literally said what to do. I only use linux and I'm telling you the answer. Whether the appimage is as stable or not, I don't know, but it should work the same on the steamdeck as any other linux box.
ES6K1Q2.png

Reactions: Taleweaver

WiiDSXLandKnuckles

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
.____. I literally said what to do. I only use linux and I'm telling you the answer. Whether the appimage is as stable or not, I don't know, but it should work the same on the steamdeck as any other linux box.
ES6K1Q2.png
A question: have you tried running it through proton (recently)? That post is from 9 moths ago, and there have been quite some improvements to proton since then.

Again: running windows software on the deck is a bit finnicky to do, but it's worth trying. :)
Huh, seems to work now this way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well, thanks to both of you nonetheless!

Reactions: Taleweaver

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: im back