GBA and GBC emulator "Pizza Boy" has been removed from the Google Play Store

sadasdasds.png

Yet another emulator bites the dust, in the aftermath of the Tropic Haze/Yuzu vs. Nintendo case. Pizza Boy, a $5.49 paid app on the Google Play Store, has been taken down and is no longer available for purchase. Developer Davide made an announcement post explaining that he has permanently removed his app from the Play Store, citing the reasoning as, "I have chosen to prioritize my family over the development of my apps." With the implication that he has not been forced to delist his emulator, but has chosen to do so as a precaution after other emulator developers have been affected. Currently, several other paid GBA/GBC emulators are still available on the Play Store, including John GBA, My Boy!, and Nostalgia.GBA.

:arrow: Source

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
:/
NGL, I feel like these people are becoming cowards. I honestly doubt Nintendo is going to go after every emulator
I'll accept you calling others cowards for giving in when YOU YOURSELF are in the line of fire the way they are. Do you have a spare $2.4M to pay Nintendo for your bravado? If not, then keep such thoughts to yourself.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'll accept you calling others cowards for giving in when YOU YOURSELF are in the line of fire the way they are. Do you have a spare $2.4M to pay Nintendo for your bravado? If not, then keep such thoughts to yourself.
no

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So this makes 2 paid apps being taken down. But how many free ones from the play store...?

I can see why anyone charging for their stuff is concerned about Nintendo. They should be...
Exactly. So far they have gone after someone raking in $30K a month, and prevented Dolphin from being on the commercial Steam store. And at least two makers of PAID emulation products have decided to quit, which I think was a wise choice. Nintendo is clearly aware of Dolphin and has made no effort whatsoever to go after them. There is also a zero percent chance that they are not aware of Ryujinx. There's a lesson in here somewhere.
Post automatically merged:

In fairness, I did not believe for a minute that someone childish enough to call the devs cowards would actually comply. I was just expressing what everyone else here feels about you and your comment.

• Haha
Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Exactly. So far they have gone after someone raking in $30K a month, and prevented Dolphin from being on the commercial Steam store. And at least two makers of PAID emulation products have decided to quit, which I think was a wise choice. Nintendo is clearly aware of Dolphin and has made no effort whatsoever to go after them. There is also a zero percent chance that they are not aware of Ryujinx. There's a lesson in here somewhere.
Post automatically merged:

In fairness, I did not believe for a minute that someone childish enough to call the devs cowards would actually comply. I was just expressing what everyone else here feels about you and your comment.
I stand by my comment. I highly doubt Nintendo is going to go after some random emulator and it’s cowardly to pull it. Sorry not sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
they made yuzu devs pay 2.4 million pal
get back to me when you stare down that gun barrel
Here’s the thing, do you really think Nintendo is going to bring every single one of these emulators to court? Because I don’t think Nintendo cares about Pizza Boy. The worst Nintendo might do is send a C&D, they aren’t going to waste money on Pizza Boy. Personally, I think the bigger emulators should care to make sure they aren’t making the same mistakes as Yuzu did. They actually have a reason to be scared.

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
Do you really think Nintendo is going to bring every single one of these emulators to court? Because I don’t think Nintendo cares about Pizza Boy. The worst Nintendo might do is send a C&D, they aren’t going to waste money on Pizza Boy.
I agree it's unlikely, right now. I probably wouldn't fancy betting my livelihood on "unlikely", though, especially with how quickly things can change.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NGL, I feel like these people are becoming cowards. I honestly doubt Nintendo is going to go after every emulator
Agreed. The shit is starting to piss me off. People these days are so quick to bend the knee to corporations and let these companies trample over their rights. It's sad to see and doesn't bode well for future generations if humanity keeps being weak-sauce like this.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not really surprised by this, remember, you can be sued for practically anything, win and still lose at the same time, especially in countries like the USA. There's a reason why even large companies would rather just settle than prolong a case. A C&D seems more likely but I don't recall Nintendo doing the same for Yuzu, which you'd think they try first except to make an example.

We simply don't know what Nintendo will do now, especially if they feel emboldened by the 'win'.

That said, AFAIK the Yuzu case was relying on decryption, although the GBA BIOS may cause problems if there's no 'clean room' implementation. Dolphin may have a bigger reason to be concerned.

Although overall, Yuzu was an obvious target because it's emulating their current platform/primary revenue source.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can't say I disagree, but can you really blame them? I know it's illogical from the outside but I'd be frightened too if I could be traced back to these pieces of software. I'd take one look at my kids and probably shut that shit down too.

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
Another one emulator down. But I don't even know this one. I just use an APK of MyBoy that I've had for a while now along with MyOldBoy. They're outdated yeah but they still work like fine wine. This still sucks though.

But at the same time, why is something as obscure in my knowledge taking itself down? It's not like Nintendo is coming after every emulator. I get what they're trying to do: not end up in the potential legal debacle behind them (cause y'know, these are passionate developers trying to put their own efforts into making emulators for everyone and themself to use), but it's not like they're going after every single one. It's best to keep thinga under radar...

JaNDeRPeiCH

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What the hell is wrong with you? Some people value life more than ones and zeroes, the fact you walk around acting like this just shows how selfish you are. You may act like a badass behind your fancy display, but when push comes to shove, you certainly wouldn't be like this if you were directly impacted in a similar regard to this. Who am I kidding though, you likely have zero values in life and just don't give a shit about anything or anyone except yourself. I seriously hope you get your head straight one day.
You are right nintendo are the yakuzas of their ip,if you value your liberty,money and life dont make a emulator and sell it to get easy profits.

Want to make a Emulator core from any nintendo console? sure you can make it but dont forget it for the gods sake dont put a price.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here’s the thing, do you really think Nintendo is going to bring every single one of these emulators to court? Because I don’t think Nintendo cares about Pizza Boy. The worst Nintendo might do is send a C&D, they aren’t going to waste money on Pizza Boy. Personally, I think the bigger emulators should care to make sure they aren’t making the same mistakes as Yuzu did. They actually have a reason to be scared.
you don't...  think
again, get back to me when you're staring down 2.4 million dollars of debt and go "nah, it ain't gonna happen to me"

• Haha
Reactions: The Catboy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F