GBA Back-lit Mod

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there. So I'm planning on buying a kit to put in an SP screen into an original Gameboy Advance. But the website I'm looking at states that a type B cable is always better. However, I've looked around and have found some evidence of people saying specifically for the 32pin adapter, type A is better. My game boy is a 32 pin so I'm not sure what the correct decision is. Anyone have any experience with this mod?

Reactions: Spokenlastchance

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’ve put together one of each. Go with what you have. Get the 32pin adapter. The only real difference I’ve seen is, the 40pin A or B doesn’t need to be soldered. If you do solder the adapter, the screen is a bit brighter. I got my screen from eBay. I just chose the cheapest one. Got the adapter there somewhere too.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Type A and B ribbon cables are for different displays. A is for the "old" display type with a white sticker on the ribbon cable, B is for the "newer" one with a brown sticker. If you mix those it'll work, but colors will look washed out. This can be fixed, though. So, either one is okay, but one might require a hardware mod.

Reactions: Spokenlastchance

phacox_cll

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
IMG_20170116_124352_EN.jpg
I had the opportunity to do tests with several AGB-001 and several AGS-101 screens, the results of these tests I posted on my personal blog. In short, if you have a 40-pin AGB-001, seeks for an AGS-101 screen with brown flex, and if you have a 32-pin AGB-001 seeks for an AGS-101 screen whit white flex.

Blasingame

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personal experience, I went the solder route with the 40-pin connector and can say it is a lot brighter. As far as soldering, it is only one point that you need to solder to, so it is not too difficult (unless you have shakey hands)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4