ROM Hack GBA Doom wad conversions (open for suggestions!)

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Since no one has made any proposals yet, I would like to come forward, if I'm not too intrusive, as usual....:blush:
I would like to suggest to port on gba the original and very appreciated Heroes and Heroes 2; two simple vanilla megawads dating back to 1995/1996, which contain new sounds, music and graphics but do not use dehacked files (as specified by their author).
Certainly if they are to the liking of our benefactor....:)

Reactions: Bazooka_Face

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since no one has made any proposals yet, I would like to come forward, if I'm not too intrusive, as usual....:blush:
I would like to suggest to port on gba the original and very appreciated Heroes and Heroes 2; two simple vanilla megawads dating back to 1995/1996, which contain new sounds, music and graphics but do not use dehacked files (as specified by their author).

I will try and see what I can do!

Reactions: Nikokaro

Adrian-E-C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will try and see what I can do!
I would still absolutely die if a version of Resident Evil Mercenaries was working on GBA. It is my all time fav DOOM wad aside from DOOM 4 Vanilla.

Speaking of DOOM 4 Vanilla, what type of saver doesn't use? I tried saving on my eZ Flash Omega Definitive and it simply won't write a save.

Adrian-E-C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi. I'll reply to you while waiting for him to do so.

I would still absolutely die if a version of Resident Evil Mercenaries was working on GBA
It is absolutely impossible since it is a mod for zdoom/gzdoom engines. Too complex. It wouldn't even work with DS Doom...maybe it would work on 3DS...

Speaking of DOOM 4 Vanilla....I tried saving on my eZ Flash Omega Definitive and it simply won't write a save.
It's a vanilla Doom mod like any other. As for me, on my Supercard SD it saves normally, like the others (64kb save).

Adrian-E-C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I'll reply to you while waiting for him to do so.

It is absolutely impossible since it is a mod for zdoom/gzdoom engines. Too complex. It wouldn't even work with DS Doom...maybe it would work on 3DS...

It's a vanilla Doom mod like any other. As for me, on my Supercard SD it saves normally, like the others (64kb save).
The 64kb helps. That narrows down the save type I need to use.

I know Mercenaries probably wouldn't work, but someone also said that about DOOM 4Vanilla and then boom, it suddenly worked (something about changing the audio?). So I reckon its. not impossible (I never understand why folks use absolutes like that when most things are possible with the right knowledge and effort) just complicated, and potentially more effort than it is worth.

There are a few Silent Hill DOOM wads out there that are pretty cool, one based on PT (I think its GZDOOM though) that looks insane.

Also, Mega Man 8 bit deathmatch is one of the most fun wads ever :P

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I know Mercenaries probably wouldn't work, but someone also said that about DOOM 4Vanilla and then boom, it suddenly worked
The term vanilla means a simple wad, which even works with the original version of Doom (ms-dos) and its limitations, and therefore also with the various ports of PrBoom (such as the one for GBA). If it didn't work on GBA, it meant that it wasn't actually "vanilla".

Regarding the other titles you mentioned, they're very nice but too sophisticated; you're flying too high on fantasy....
You have to search preferably among the much older, simple and small wads (those of the nineties are the most suitable); some of them are very interesting and also contain original textures, sprites and sounds, even if they don't use dehacked files. :)

Reactions: TheMCP

Adrian-E-C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The term vanilla means a simple wad, which even works with the original version of Doom (ms-dos) and its limitations, and therefore also with the various ports of PrBoom (such as the one for GBA). If it didn't work on GBA, it meant that it wasn't actually "vanilla".

Regarding the other titles you mentioned, they're very nice but too sophisticated; you're flying too high on fantasy....
You have to search preferably among the much older, simple and small wads (those of the nineties are the most suitable); some of them are very interesting and also contain original textures, sprites and sounds, even if they don't use dehacked files. :)
Actually DOOM 4 Vanilla got its title because it is a demake of DOOM 2016 into the original doom. Vanilla just referencing the bare bones-ness of the demake.

That being said, DOOM4 Vanilla is actually a pretty complex wad, including some great new/redwawn sprites for almost every enemy in game, weapon, UI elements, and items. DOOM The Merrcenaries is actually much the same as DOOM4 Vanilla, it redraws the gun sprite from the base game as an entire character, creating the illusion of a 3rd person game. The rest of the alterations (except the stun kills, timer, etc which is additional programming), are actually very simple replacements of UI and character/item elements.

I am certainly not high on fantasy, I am a game dev ( Last game I worked on was a little gem called Huntdown on PC, Mac, Linux, Nintendo Switch, PS4/5, Xbox, iOS, and Android...so I know a thing or two about the porting process believe it or not! here is a trailer: ). I know that with effort, there isn't much you can't make happen. You just need imagination, skill, the ability to think laterally and understand compromise in your vision. With the right knowledge you could port/demake anything to, well, anything. Some of these wads would require re-porting/simplification/a lot of compromise (to go from GZDOOM to PRboom for example), but saying it is impossible is just silly. Just because the wad was made for one version of DOOM, doesn't mean you couldn't adapt it to another.

I Just feel like immediately dismissing things as impossible is how nothing great gets made. You gotta start by imagining everything is possible, and then figure out HOW after.

ALL that being said, to keep my suggestions simple, I would love to see one of the many 3rd person mods for DOOM or DOOM 2 on GBA, even moreso if we could get DOOM4 Vanilla With a 3rd person mod added as well. That would be killer!

• Wow
Reactions: Nikokaro

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the lack of updates, I got covid ontop of hearing damage, so my drive to do anything with this is very low right now. Maybe I will get back to it when I feel better, or at least regain my hearing back fully.

Bazooka_Face

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thats not heroes 2, its actually heroes 1, typo on my part.

Attachments

• heroes 2 (2.3 ur).rar
    5.9 MB · Views: 87

Adrian-E-C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the lack of updates, I got covid ontop of hearing damage, so my drive to do anything with this is very low right now. Maybe I will get back to it when I feel better, or at least regain my hearing back fully.
Oh gosh no need to apologize. Appreciate the update, you just focus on getting healthy/feeling better, and thank you for all the rad work you've done!

UnlimitedPower66

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well i know its been a while but im back. Ive been thinking about porting star wars doom. Maybe i could even make a updated version with better sprites,sounds,etc.

Reactions: XDel

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well i know its been a while but im back.
Well...your face is not new to me (hard to forget it....🤣).

Ive been thinking about porting star wars doom.
Thinking about doing it is not the same as actually doing it. As repeated often, you cannot convert for gba wads that use .deh (dehacked) files.

Maybe i could even make a updated version with better sprites,sounds,etc.
If so, we will look forward to the first results of this ambitious initiative of yours. 😋

TheMCP

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I converted someone's duke 3d stage 1 remake to the gba. Now you can clearly see that duke nukem advance could have been way better! Also, here is a quick and dirty conversion of the first stage of doom 64, dont expect anything to work past stage 1, they are both mostly tech demos. (I think doomhack should try porting heretic to the gba, i would like to see that happen!)
Duke 3D on the GBA. Omg!!! If only there was a proper vanilla conversion (sprites and additional levels). Wasn't there also a Blood TC for Doom too?

Someone should post these as IPS patches on Romhacking.net.

Nikokaro

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
....Wasn't there also a Blood TC for Doom too?
There are various Blood TCs, but they are specific to ZDoom/GZDoom and therefore incompatible with Boom/PrBoom. Moreover, the PrBoom version of GBA does not support dehacked files. :teach:
The only solution, in my opinion very difficult but not impossible, would be to replace every Doom enemy and weapon sprite (every single frame, keeping the original names of them) and its original textures with Blood ones using a wad editor (Slade, Xwe etc.) building new maps similar to the original Blood ones and finally converting the obtained wad for gba: a painstaking and certainly nervous breakdown work. :wacko:
Sadly the author of this thread hasn't been around here for several months: he would surely know how to answer that better than I do. :)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a doom wad, but I'm not sure which version it is. I compiled the ds version of this with the help of someone to change some of the code to get it to compile, considering it was 8+ years old with no release. anyway, it might be helpful to have an xdelta patch of it, since the wad isn't allowed on the boards. I know a lot of people have trouble getting the wad files to work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol