Hardware GBA IPS screen v2 power

romanaOne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just got one of these and I'm mostly impressed. I bought it with a pretrimmed GBA case because I'm not wild about dremelling stinky plastic.(The horrible shavings get up my nose and everywhere.)

Anyway, it was mostly easy to install following the funnyplaying youtube video. It looks pretty good, but I'm not sure I like it better than AGS-101: the fonts are a little distorted and battery life is not great at reasonable brightness levels. Probably gonna use this only with my (modded to hold 2000mah lipo) power grip.

Anybody try that 1400mah lipo battery and board that fits in the battery compartment? I like the idea, but is 1400mah enough? I'd like to see some battery life info, NOT from people trying to sell the device.

DontShootUp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd probably just go with some high capacity AA's honestly.

These have good reviews and each one of them has a higher capacity than your power grip.

romanaOne

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tested a few batteries and it seems like the
Energizer/Eneloop AA last OK, Duracell is not so good.
I don't hold out high hopes for obscure brands claiming super-high mah. Were they any good?

I decided to get one of those 1400 mah lipos.
It definitely lasts longer than my AAs. I've not seen a low power warning yet, but my max. playtime is about 2 hours before my brain starts giving me a warning.

Anyway, it was easy to install and it didn't damage the case much, so I can always go back to AA. It feels lighter and the USB charging is pretty damn convenient. The thing that sold me on it was support for the original status LED: it is slighly more convenient to see that on the front than to flip over my modded Power Grip to see if I've got a low battery. Also, when the 1400 mah lipo dies, I can easily fit a generic 1200 mah lipo in there because it's just a JST +/- connector with no 3- or 4- extra-terminal bullshit.

Remember in your battery comparisons that lipo voltage is higher than NiMH so you should try to estimate the actual energy content of the battery when comparing different types of batteries.

(Watt-hour is a unit of energy: Joule*hour/sec *3600 sec/hour to convert to Joules, if you must.)

Home made lipo-PowerGrip with 2000 mah battery:

2Ah x 4V = 8 Wh

Retromoding 1400mah kit:
1.4Ah x 4V = 5.6Wh

AA:
2.7 Ah x 2.8V = 7.6 Wh

(Of course 1.4 and 4 volts are (very generous) nominal values. As the batteries discharge, the voltage drops so consider these best-case estimates.)

Last edited by romanaOne,
Reactions: DontShootUp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....