Homebrew GBARunner2

RetrogamingAddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You need to launch a GBA game using TWiLight Menu++. Open "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/settings.ini", and set "GBARUNNER3_TEST" to "1". If that setting doesn't exist, add "GBARUNNER3_TEST = 1" underneath "[SRLOADER]".
When doing this, ensure "GBARunner3.nds" is placed in "sd:/_nds/TWiLightMenu/emulators/".
My bad, i thought i would take the easy way by launching it directly from the r4 menu. Did as you instructed and now it works. Many thanks. 🥰

YoungK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone got the Mother 1 part of the gba rom running well in either GBArunner2 or 3? Only runs in 2 for me and lags.

Mother 2 and 3 run solid

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Anyone got the Mother 1 part of the gba rom running well in either GBArunner2 or 3? Only runs in 2 for me and lags.

Mother 2 and 3 run solid

That game has "hicode" in a very high address for the hicode-cache to normally reach (0x08FF... or so) and it needs special treatment, which will be improved later.

For now you need to build GBARunner3 hicode-cache with a base address shift to 0x08F00000 in order to make Mother 1 to work properly, but 2 will stop to work.

I would like to leave the instructions to make such builds but since Base Shift Addresses are still a PoC, we should wait for later improvements to avoid confusion.
Post automatically merged:

Where can I download GBA Runner 3 for dsi?

GitHub actions is available now, so you can grab the latest nightly release here

https://github.com/Gericom/GBARunner3/actions

RetrogamingAddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i am curious, are there performance difference when using a 3ds compared to a dsi?
do you think gbarunner3 would be better than mgba for 3ds?(especially the og 3ds)

edit; so far i am loving gbarunner3 on my dsi xl, it feels perfect. also colors are accurate, unlike gbarunner2, using simulate gba colors, darkens the display by adding a black filter.
though in gbarunner3 i couldn't light up the bottom display or use any settings, is this the plan for it or only for pre release?

edit2: on dsi using gbarunner3, mario kart has serious screen flickering issues and very noticeable frame drops when there are mushroom effects or too much going on, that wasn't the case with gbarunner2 even on ds lite.

Last edited by RetrogamingAddict,

EdwardTheWatzo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What has changed/not worked/worked on GBARunner3 for me so far (DSi):

Played Chapters 1-5 in Mother 3 (English Patch), stuck at midway boss in Thunder Tower so haven't tested everything but is running great so far (man that game is so good)

Kuru Kuru Kurin now has a fixed gamemode selection screen

Alien Hominid boots to a white screen instead of fully working without cache in GBARunner2

Trogdor GBA (https://jeremyelkayam.itch.io/trogba) works entirely unlike where it boots to a black screen on GBARunner2

Last edited by EdwardTheWatzo,
Reactions: Flame

HK$

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
The latest commit that support for out-of-bounds rom reads seems to have sound glitches fixed in a lot of games!
Such as Rhythm Tengoku and zelda minish cap. These games are almost perfect now! :grog:

Reactions: Flame

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The latest commit that support for out-of-bounds rom reads seems to have sound glitches fixed in a lot of games!
Such as Rhythm Tengoku and zelda minish cap. These games are almost perfect now! :grog:
It's actually the commit before that (support for gba irqs during rom reads) that improved many games. But yeah many improvements. Flicker in f-zero and Mario kart super circuit is also gone for example. And the mother 3 textboxes no longer flicker.

HK$

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
It's actually the commit before that (support for gba irqs during rom reads) that improved many games. But yeah many improvements. Flicker in f-zero and Mario kart super circuit is also gone for example. And the mother 3 textboxes no longer flicker.
I've tested the last commit (handling gba irqs during rom fetches) downloaded from github action page for 53-allow-gba-irqs-during-rom-fetch branch. And I still noticed some noises in zelda minish cap. So I think it has something to do with the latest commit.
Anyway, I'm glad it is fixed now. I'm having fun playing zelda minish cap. Thank you. :yaynds:

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I've opened a PR that adds fixes and improvements to a bunch of games (especially useful for regular DS models), you can see the full changelog in the commit description.

You can try those changes by downloading the new files and putting them inside `/_gba/configs`

https://github.com/Gericom/GBARunner3/pull/156

HK$

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I've opened a PR that adds fixes and improvements to a bunch of games (especially useful for regular DS models), you can see the full changelog in the commit description.

You can try those changes by downloading the new files and putting them inside `/_gba/configs`

https://github.com/Gericom/GBARunner3/pull/156
What do these config files fix? For example for Rhythm Tengoku, I didn't notice any glitches with the latest commit Gbarunner3 on my dsi.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I don't know if it is my setup. Chromium web browsers don't show the download link in actions page of GitHub of GBARunner3. Works fine with Firefox, tho.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What do these config files fix? For example for Rhythm Tengoku, I didn't notice any glitches with the latest commit Gbarunner3 on my dsi.

Rhythm Tengoku experiences performance issues on regular DS models, and adding these configurations helps to avoid additional overhead, making the JIT to only run at boot, rather than constantly in the background

Shadowthestoner239

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Does GBARunner2 support wifi multiplayer linking with 3-4 players and not just 2? If so, how would you do it? I can't seem to get it to work, tried writing slave1, slave 2 in the config file, and can still only get 2 players.

Rurounik

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Wanna thank @Gericom for this wonderfull work, latest Cache-hicode branch tested and even Emerald R.O.W.E is working like real cart(EZ Omega). Gbarunner 2 crash every time you try to use the bag but not on Runner 3 Hicode. However theres a bug that hangs any Pokemon game every time you do a soft reset (Start + Select + B + A). I know its still in development. Please consider it as a bug report.
Hi-code and RFU branchs are so amazing, specialy now that the prices of a real Cart is so high and the Wi-Fi adapters also hard to find and expensive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol