MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't need it. I don't need it... I NEEEEED IIIIIIT!
I'm working on a new theme currently.

IN THE NAME OF THE MOON!

20240426_150847.jpg

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Reactions: RocketRobz

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never downloaded GBARunner3 seperatly, I just used Twilight++ and updated that

does GBARunner3 need to be installed manually (overwriting original gbarunner2 files) that come with twilight?
Yes, it needs to be installed manually, and you can also keep GBARunner2 installed.
No TWLMenu++ release has bundled GBARunner3.

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
i see it here: https://github.com/Gericom/GBARunner3

where do I place it and how do I update the twilight menu++ to include gbarunner3?

From the Discord server:

To have GBARunner3 test builds loading GBA roms in TwilightMenu++ you need:
  • TwilightMenu++ 26.1.1 or higher
  • GBARunner3.nds inside \_nds\TWiLightMenu\emulators
  • GBA bios renamed as bios.bin inside the \_gba folder
  • The configs folder from the repository inside of the \_gba folder, it should be \_gba\configs.
  • GBARUNNER3_TEST = 1 text line under the [SRLOADER] section in \_nds\TWiLightMenu\settings.ini

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From the Discord server:

To have GBARunner3 test builds loading GBA roms in TwilightMenu++ you need:
  • TwilightMenu++ 26.1.1 or higher
  • GBARunner3.nds inside \_nds\TWiLightMenu\emulators
  • GBA bios renamed as bios.bin inside the \_gba folder
  • The configs folder from the repository inside of the \_gba folder, it should be \_gba\configs.
  • GBARUNNER3_TEST = 1 text line under the [SRLOADER] section in \_nds\TWiLightMenu\settings.ini
Does this info exist outside of Discord? It's annoying when certain things, especially software as cool as this, are hidden behind a private Discord server that isn't index-able by search engines and thus essentially hidden, not to mention inaccessible for people who don't have an account or are at their server limit and cannot join more servers without paying for nitro. And that isn't mentioning how easy servers are to get wiped, either through an admin or Discord themselves.

I'm assuming it doesn't, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned that it's from the Discord server and just linked to it, so I recommend adding it to the Github, whose readme is currently empty.

Reactions: 4d1xlaan

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Does this info exist outside of Discord? It's annoying when certain things, especially software as cool as this, are hidden behind a private Discord server that isn't index-able by search engines and thus essentially hidden, not to mention inaccessible for people who don't have an account or are at their server limit and cannot join more servers without paying for nitro. And that isn't mentioning how easy servers are to get wiped, either through an admin or Discord themselves.

I'm assuming it doesn't, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned that it's from the Discord server and just linked to it, so I recommend adding it to the Github, whose readme is currently empty.

That's because is still on active development in an alpha state, only meant for testing, for reporting unexpected issues and contributing.

Once it reaches its first stable release, a readme with further information will be added, and it will be bundled in TwilightMenu++ and pico Launcher, so people only need to update and it will be ready to use with no additional input from the user.

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes and that's why it isn't a private repo. Also, the Discord server we use to discuss GBARunner3 stuff is not private either, everyone is free to join, is the same server referenced in the DSi Hacking guide here
An invite-only server isn't private? Discord servers are by definition private because you cannot access the information stored in them without being in the server. As opposed to a public github one can easily follow a link to or search for themselves without requiring an account and access to a non-expired invite link.

The server being referenced in the guide is fine because it's referenced explicitly for "further assistance", something Discord is perfect for since you get help in real-time. That's not at all the same as using it for distributing software.

Anyway, you agree that's what Github should be used for, so what I said about adding a readme to the repo should be considered.

Reactions: 4d1xlaan

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
An invite-only server isn't private? Discord servers are by definition private because you cannot access the information stored in them without being in the server. As opposed to a public github one can easily follow a link to or search for themselves without requiring an account and access to a non-expired invite link.

The server being referenced in the guide is fine because it's referenced explicitly for "further assistance", something Discord is perfect for since you get help in real-time. That's not at all the same as using it for distributing software.

Anyway, you agree that's what Github should be used for, so what I said about adding a readme to the repo should be considered.

It's considered, just not added yet https://github.com/Gericom/GBARunner3/issues/153

Again, is not like we're preventing everyone from using GBARunner3, you can see in previous responses that we always guide people who ask how to install and use it, but since many stuff is still too technical, we avoid to provide the info for general purpose since each case may be different, especially if they aren't familiar with software compilation and such.

Is just that isn't fully ready and Gericom doesn't want to make a separate thread yet, but everything will come eventually, you just need to be patient and keep an eye on GBARunner3's commit history to check the project progress, and I will also make small posts announcing major improvements when they happen in the GBARunner2 main thread.

Last edited by DSoryu,

PotatoStatic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The release that added support for it had the instructions in the release notes.

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's considered, just not added yet https://github.com/Gericom/GBARunner3/issues/153

Again, is not like we're preventing everyone from using GBARunner3, you can see in previous responses that we always guide people who ask how to install and use it, but since many stuff is still too technical, we avoid to provide the info for general purpose since each case may be different, especially if they aren't familiar with software compilation and such.

Is just that isn't fully ready and Gericom doesn't want to make a separate thread yet, but everything will come eventually, you just need to be patient and keep an eye on GBARunner3's commit history to check the project progress, and I will also make small posts announcing major improvements when they happen in the GBARunner2 main thread.
I see, thanks for the info! Good to know this will be rectified in time. As for prevention, I never said that's what you were doing, I simply said some people cannot join the server due to not having a Discord account or being at their server limit. I fall in the latter category.

EthanBB

Trophies
XP
Country
Guys, are you for real?

Devs are just too nice to tell you you’re incredibly lazy to not read 2 page discussion with everything needed.

When you read comments 19, 20, 22 and 24 you get all info you need to make GBArunner3 working (including excerpt from Discord). If dumbass like me did it you can too.

Now go play some games instead of bothering them.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
How are you guys getting 3D games running? Gbarunner3 doesn't boot Obelisk & asterixx or Driv3r for me and I can only tweak gbarunner2 settings though Twilightmenu.

Those two games specifically have hicode, which needs the hicode branch to work, you can find it here.

Then, grab these config files and make sure to place them inside /_gba/configs.

Driv3r (USA) and Asterix & Obelix XXL (EUR)

Attachments

• configs.7z
    319 bytes · Views: 1

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Those two games specifically have hicode, which needs the hicode branch to work, you can find it here.

Then, grab these config files and make sure to place them inside /_gba/configs.

Driv3r (USA) and Asterix & Obelix XXL (EUR)
Ok thanks. I installed the nightly and config files and it runs the games. Both appear to be a bit sluggish but I'm sure it'll be ironed out in later updates.

Reactions: DSoryu

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ok thanks. I installed the nightly and config files and it runs the games. Both appear to be a bit sluggish but I'm sure it'll be ironed out in later updates.

Yes, in previous versions they ran at like 3 fps, so you get have an idea on how improvements have been lately.

Also, as you can see in the config files, both need wram icache turned off, because both games use self modifying code, which messes up the icache badly and crashes the games, hence why it needs to be disabled. Fortunately we can also use cache invalidation patches, but the games need to be analyzed further in order to have the exact addresses added into the configs, if we manage to find them, the games will run infinitely better.

If you want an example on how the cache invalidation patches help games with self modifying code to run better, you should try Smashing Drive, which uses them already.

Reactions: Tarmfot

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Thank You :D