GBAtemp Java Minecraft server - come hang out and play with your fellow GBAtemp users!

parentsultimateguide-minecraft-blog.jpeg

Introducing the GBAtemp Minecraft server! Party like it’s 2013, because we’ve decided to have fun by renting a Minecraft server, for GBAtemp users to come mine, craft, and chill out in. Hopefully, the community can have some fun together there!

Server Details

Minecraft 1.16.5
IP: mc.chary.tv

You’ll need Minecraft, of course, as well as CurseForge, which handles the automatic download of all the needed mods to play. After installing CurseForge, just grab the “TempCraft” pack by searching for it on CurseForge, and you’ll be all set.

:arrow: CurseForge Download

Tutorial1-1.png Tutorial2-1.png Tutorial3-1.png Tutorial4-1.png Tutorial5-1.png
A step-by-step guide
Info

This is Java Minecraft, and there are mods! The consensus was to keep things fairly vanilla, but with a bit of spice here and there to keep things interesting. You can expect to see the following mods:
  • Aquaculture
  • Better Caves
  • JEI
  • Chisel and Bits
  • Enhanced Vanilla
  • Genetic Animals
  • Quark
  • Pam’s Harvestcraft 2
  • Gravestone Mod
  • Biomes ‘o Plenty

And other neat tweaks and additions to make the normal Minecraft experience funner! (You can check the full mod list in CurseForge). General forum decency rules apply--don't grief, don't cheat, and try to have a good time!

We look forward to seeing who stops by!

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeap it was actually always disabled, i'm not sure why they ever started again.

Tbh going forward I plan to stamp out most unintended forms of automation. I'd like to make a modpack where players actually play the game rather than AFK all day like it's an idle game. For the time being *most* mob farms will still work tho. Villager trading should remain the same.

In that same vein i'm hoping to add some new mods either tomorrow or the next day. Still testing a few cuz they have some uh...not very server friendly items. Like Tinkers' beautiful EFLN, pretty much an incredibly cheap tnt snowball. Dear god Tinkers why.

Still on the fence about some but hoping to add more fun mods that add things to do. I'd also like to add a dimension or two to add more exploration or ways to generate new ores/mod spawns.

So far on my radar are:
Mowzie's Mobs (adds some very well made bosses and a handful of interesting regular mobs)
Alex's Mobs (adds a crapton of fun mobs with various drops for all sorts of fun utility items)
The Outer End (expands The End to be more interesting, might need to wipe The End for that one)
Dimensional Dungeons (Add some fun randomly generated dungeons where blocks cannot be destroyed or placed, forcing you to combat them as intended)
Tinkers Construct (Everyone's favourite overpowered tool mod lol, does add a lot of fun stuff though)

For dimensions I'm less sure tbh. Unfortunately, most of the dimensions i've played with died with 1.12. But I want to add some sort of mining dimension that could be wiped as necessary.
For content adding dimensions there's still some interesting looking ones about. Haven't looked too thoroughly yet.
Atum 2
Twilight Forest (i'm a bit skeptical since TF has always had big performance issues)
Blue Skies
The Undergarden
The Bumblezone (more of a joke dimension, seems fun though)
Hmmm... I'm not sure if I agree with that direction. I've been setting up some automatic farms so I can work on large scale projects without the need for endless grinding... I don't think farms take the fun out of the game, but instead enable a different kind of constructive fun for players in late game. If you don't want players to AFK, just enable a stricter AFK kick. I'll probably have to scale back some of the ideas in my head. That's not my call to make though, so I'll relegate all of my complaining to this post.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmmm... I'm not sure if I agree with that direction. I've been setting up some automatic farms so I can work on large scale projects without the need for endless grinding... I don't think farms take the fun out of the game, but instead enable a different kind of constructive fun for players in late game. If you don't want players to AFK, just enable a stricter AFK kick. I'll probably have to scale back some of the ideas in my head. That's not my call to make though, so I'll relegate all of my complaining to this post.

I can't think of much that requires near-endless iron, gold, bones, gunpowder, enderpearls, etc. A vast majority of materials for builds are really simple to harvest and don't have automated farms anyway. Given villagers are broken there isn't even much scarcity for top-tier tools either.

AFK kickers don't work, and can never work. It takes 5 seconds to make an in-game machine that bypasses an AFK kick, or 5 seconds to make a macro move you forward then back every x minutes.

If (or moreso when tbh) Tinkers is added it doubles all iron and gold ore you mine by using the Tinkers smelter over a vanilla furnace. If not i'm still looking for more interesting ways to naturally find resources (like Dimensional Dungeons).

If people want infinite resources there's already a mode for that lol. I don't see the point of a creative server with extra steps.

The only real mechanic I can understand farming is XP, and there are mod solutions to that as well.

Not part of my decision but I also can't stand the look of all these hideous cobblestone monstrosities every 100 blocks to farm mobs.

Reactions: bonkmaykr

SecureBoot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't think of much that requires near-endless iron, gold, bones, gunpowder, enderpearls, etc. A vast majority of materials for builds are really simple to harvest and don't have automated farms anyway. Given villagers are broken there isn't even much scarcity for top-tier tools either.

AFK kickers don't work, and can never work. It takes 5 seconds to make an in-game machine that bypasses an AFK kick, or 5 seconds to make a macro move you forward then back every x minutes.

If (or moreso when tbh) Tinkers is added it doubles all iron and gold ore you mine by using the Tinkers smelter over a vanilla furnace. If not i'm still looking for more interesting ways to naturally find resources (like Dimensional Dungeons).

If people want infinite resources there's already a mode for that lol. I don't see the point of a creative server with extra steps.

The only real mechanic I can understand farming is XP, and there are mod solutions to that as well.

Not part of my decision but I also can't stand the look of all these hideous cobblestone monstrosities every 100 blocks to farm mobs.
I mean, there are plenty of benefits to having copious amounts of items (see: Hermitcraft, 2b2t). If the devs thought they were OP, they would have been nerfed in vanilla. Instead, they made some farms (like iron) easier to build. That decision reeks of "intended game mechanic" to me. The point isn't "infinite resources in survival". It's about the point in the game where you've progressed past "survival" and are trying to achieve "thriving". At a certain point, people get fed up with just surviving and having to grind if they want to do build something crazy cool or efficient without the use of the cheat button.

As for the farms you don't understand the use for:
Iron is beneficial for large scale redstone projects, any sort of build that what's to incorporate chains, rails, iron blocks, etc.
Gold is necessary for redstone, bartering, cooking high tier meals, decorative blocks
Bones are beneficial for anything agricultural (bonemeal), but skeleton farming is also great for arrows, which are painful to craft.
Gunpowder - Rockets, TNT for concrete farms or just general explosiveness
Enderpearls - are useless, but you've gotta admit that the ender ender is a pretty sweet XP farm

What I'm saying is that I don't really think it's necessary to keep adding mods to achieve things that the game already has systems in place for. It's like slapping a band-aid onto a wound that's already healed.

Again, I'm not telling you how to run the server. I'm just explaining from a different kind of player's point of view why an anti-farm stance is a negative instead of a positive. People like me think that any mods should be supplemental to the existing gameplay. Not an overhaul of existing mechanics.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I mean, there are plenty of benefits to having copious amounts of items (see: Hermitcraft, 2b2t). If the devs thought they were OP, they would have been nerfed in vanilla. Instead, they made some farms (like iron) easier to build. That decision reeks of "intended game mechanic" to me. The point isn't "infinite resources in survival". It's about the point in the game where you've progressed past "survival" and are trying to achieve "thriving". At a certain point, people get fed up with just surviving and having to grind if they want to do build something crazy cool or efficient without the use of the cheat button.

It actually reeks of copium and excuses lol. There are almost no projects any player will build that requires near-infinite resources in a survival server. Barring youtubers who make content to survive. Vanilla doesn't fix things because it's vanilla. It's meant for 6 year old kids who can barely scrape a cobblestone box together and die to skeletons in full prot 4 diamond armor.

As for the farms you don't understand the use for:
Iron is beneficial for large scale redstone projects, any sort of build that what's to incorporate chains, rails, iron blocks, etc.
Gold is necessary for redstone, bartering, cooking high tier meals, decorative blocks
Bones are beneficial for anything agricultural (bonemeal), but skeleton farming is also great for arrows, which are painful to craft.
Gunpowder - Rockets, TNT for concrete farms or just general explosiveness
Enderpearls - are useless, but you've gotta admit that the ender ender is a pretty sweet XP farm

I'm well aware of what farms are for. I've very likely played this game significantly longer than you lol. Hell I made one of the first ugly ass mob farms a week after mobs got added to SMP. But nothing you listed is "necessary". You don't need infinite of -any- of those resources. Restone projects use a tiny amount of iron even on a large scale. Rails are about the only decent argument and you can find stacks of them in pirate ships. If you need to sit in an AFK farm for 3 weeks to get enough iron for a project, you should probably stop making Creative mode projects in Survival. There's a reason Rome, Hogwarts and Middle-earth weren't built in a day a survival server.

What I'm saying is that I don't really think it's necessary to keep adding mods to achieve things that the game already has systems in place for. It's like slapping a band-aid onto a wound that's already healed.

Again, I'm not telling you how to run the server. I'm just explaining from a different kind of player's point of view why an anti-farm stance is a negative instead of a positive. People like me think that any mods should be supplemental to the existing gameplay. Not an overhaul of existing mechanics.

Everyone sitting AFK amassing infinite wealth in their own separate cobble boxes is an entirely pointless existence. It shouldn't be hard to realize that.
Mods exist to fix and improve the game, because vanilla by itself is a very dull broken experience. There are dozens upon dozens of awesome decoration blocks and y'all just sit there twiddling your dicks waiting for iron to fall from the sky.

It's odd that it's a conflicting opinion to try and add fun and exploration and you're like "No, stop just let me sit in my cobble box" lol. Sorry mate. I won't ever agree AFK farms are beneficial to the health of the game.
The spawn area looks amazing, and surprisingly it didn't take 16 years AFK in a cobble box to make. There's buildings all over the place, cute farms, nice houses, etc. Hell a goddamn bridge made of leaves was a hilariously good idea. No exploiting mechanics or AFKing required.

I'd rather keep adding fun mods that add things to do and expand options for obtaining resources, than sit in a box all day and pretend it's a good feature.

Reactions: Maq47

Kirgane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Have any changes been made that would affect the mending enchant?

As I write this it doesn't seem possible to enchant items with mending any more - the anvil just returns the same item, unenchanted, at max durability.

Existing items with mending on them aren't being repaired by XP drops from any source.

EDIT: And if you try to enchant an item that has mending on it with another enchantment from a book, mending will get stripped off (but the other enchantment applies fine).

Last edited by Kirgane,

SecureBoot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It actually reeks of copium and excuses lol. There are almost no projects any player will build that requires near-infinite resources in a survival server. Barring youtubers who make content to survive. Vanilla doesn't fix things because it's vanilla. It's meant for 6 year old kids who can barely scrape a cobblestone box together and die to skeletons in full prot 4 diamond armor.

I'm well aware of what farms are for. I've very likely played this game significantly longer than you lol. Hell I made one of the first ugly ass mob farms a week after mobs got added to SMP. But nothing you listed is "necessary". You don't need infinite of -any- of those resources. Restone projects use a tiny amount of iron even on a large scale. Rails are about the only decent argument and you can find stacks of them in pirate ships. If you need to sit in an AFK farm for 3 weeks to get enough iron for a project, you should probably stop making Creative mode projects in Survival. There's a reason Rome, Hogwarts and Middle-earth weren't built in a day a survival server.

Everyone sitting AFK amassing infinite wealth in their own separate cobble boxes is an entirely pointless existence. It shouldn't be hard to realize that.
Mods exist to fix and improve the game, because vanilla by itself is a very dull broken experience. There are dozens upon dozens of awesome decoration blocks and y'all just sit there twiddling your dicks waiting for iron to fall from the sky.

It's odd that it's a conflicting opinion to try and add fun and exploration and you're like "No, stop just let me sit in my cobble box" lol. Sorry mate. I won't ever agree AFK farms are beneficial to the health of the game.
The spawn area looks amazing, and surprisingly it didn't take 16 years AFK in a cobble box to make. There's buildings all over the place, cute farms, nice houses, etc. Hell a goddamn bridge made of leaves was a hilariously good idea. No exploiting mechanics or AFKing required.

I'd rather keep adding fun mods that add things to do and expand options for obtaining resources, than sit in a box all day and pretend it's a good feature.
I get your points. Maybe a little aggressively put, but I understand. The fun I find in the game is different than the fun you find in the game. That's the chill thing about sandboxes. You find your own fun. I guess I'll stick with my hardcore world for now.

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
This one dimensional dungeons seem really fun, just the key seem a pain in the bottom to activate

As I write this it doesn't seem possible to enchant items with mending any more - the anvil just returns the same item, unenchanted, at max durability.

Existing items with mending on them aren't being repaired by XP drops from any source.

EDIT: And if you try to enchant an item that has mending on it with another enchantment from a book, mending will get stripped off (but the other enchantment applies fine).
Also mending does not work anymore, I used to repair a pickaxe on quartz now it just does nothing.
So guess I will stick on my gold afk farm :rofl2: (till it get nerfed too :ph34r:)

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
This one dimensional dungeons seem really fun, just the key seem a pain in the bottom to activate

Also mending does not work anymore, I used to repair a pickaxe on quartz now it just does nothing.
So guess I will stick on my gold afk farm :rofl2: (till it get nerfed too :ph34r:)
Mending was working for me last time I was on, at least on my Diamond Sword/Pickaxe/Armor.

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
Mending was working for me last time I was on, at least on my Diamond Sword/Pickaxe/Armor.
maybe that not mending the issue but OreExcavation that take more durability probably,
but now combining both mending and quartz farming is not repairing anymore.
and the change , bug or feature or what ever is. that not a tiny one, my diams pickaxe that used to always be in green durability I am now no more able to repair it so I kinda feel meh about it. ^^

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Oh yeah lol when Quark's tweaks decided to actually start working again it had a fix for mending to make it less broken and overpowered.
I'll toggle that one off since I don't care too much in that regard. Especially if we add tinkers, tools lasting forever isn't really a big deal.

edit: Should be fixed, I don't use mending or i'd test it.

Last edited by Hells Malice,

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
Oh yeah lol when Quark's tweaks decided to actually start working again it had a fix for mending to make it less broken and overpowered.
I'll toggle that one off since I don't care too much in that regard. Especially if we add tinkers, tools lasting forever isn't really a big deal.

edit: Should be fixed, I don't use mending or i'd test it.
I will test it, also there is a mods that add enchantement that prevent item to break, maybe that would be a good addition to make it as reward for the dungeon mods that prevent block breaking. this way it " force " peoples to crawl these dongeon and make it rare to get if these dongeon are rare :)
I really look forward that mods tbh. endless dongeon with unbreakable block to prevent skip that will be challenging.

Edit: Seem to be working like before :)

Last edited by Baoulettes,

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @K3Nv2