GBAtemp Java Minecraft server - come hang out and play with your fellow GBAtemp users!

parentsultimateguide-minecraft-blog.jpeg

Introducing the GBAtemp Minecraft server! Party like it’s 2013, because we’ve decided to have fun by renting a Minecraft server, for GBAtemp users to come mine, craft, and chill out in. Hopefully, the community can have some fun together there!

Server Details

Minecraft 1.16.5
IP: mc.chary.tv

You’ll need Minecraft, of course, as well as CurseForge, which handles the automatic download of all the needed mods to play. After installing CurseForge, just grab the “TempCraft” pack by searching for it on CurseForge, and you’ll be all set.

:arrow: CurseForge Download

Tutorial1-1.png Tutorial2-1.png Tutorial3-1.png Tutorial4-1.png Tutorial5-1.png
A step-by-step guide
Info

This is Java Minecraft, and there are mods! The consensus was to keep things fairly vanilla, but with a bit of spice here and there to keep things interesting. You can expect to see the following mods:
  • Aquaculture
  • Better Caves
  • JEI
  • Chisel and Bits
  • Enhanced Vanilla
  • Genetic Animals
  • Quark
  • Pam’s Harvestcraft 2
  • Gravestone Mod
  • Biomes ‘o Plenty

And other neat tweaks and additions to make the normal Minecraft experience funner! (You can check the full mod list in CurseForge). General forum decency rules apply--don't grief, don't cheat, and try to have a good time!

We look forward to seeing who stops by!

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Whelp unfortunately Chary's tech luck struck again and the RAM borked things, and corrupted windows.

Server is back up, with the same RAM we had before lol. We'll be buying better branded RAM that actually functions.

Also important note, the new mods going to be added add a bunch of generation to The End and Nether, so both will be wiped. They should probably always be seen as temporary since they ARE so easy to wipe clean. Thanks to waystones/rtp there's no real use for Nether as a method of travel either (like ye olden railway stations).
So yeah i'd grab anything valuable out of them if you need to. Assuming i'm not too busy tomorrow I should have the update ready by then. But definitely by early friday. Full list of additions when i'm done testing but it's pretty much what I already listed sans the new dimensions (might slip 1 or 2 in)

Reactions: Kirgane and Jayro

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Yep, that's a weird conflict, huh.

Ryzen 5 2600 / Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 16GB sticks.
I had the same issue with my AMD cpu with xmp. They can have issues even if the rams part number is on the QVL list. Intel is more reliable with ram, something that isnt talked about much. AMD is sometimes picky.

For you could be bad ram or bad cpu. Ram would be the easiest to first test. If not then might be cpu.

Switching out different brands and different ram speeds didn't work for me. But switching cpu did.

Last edited by SG854,
Reactions: Chary

Crazynoob458

That Reshiram
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Whelp unfortunately Chary's tech luck struck again and the RAM borked things, and corrupted windows.

Server is back up, with the same RAM we had before lol. We'll be buying better branded RAM that actually functions.

Also important note, the new mods going to be added add a bunch of generation to The End and Nether, so both will be wiped. They should probably always be seen as temporary since they ARE so easy to wipe clean. Thanks to waystones/rtp there's no real use for Nether as a method of travel either (like ye olden railway stations).
So yeah i'd grab anything valuable out of them if you need to. Assuming i'm not too busy tomorrow I should have the update ready by then. But definitely by early friday. Full list of additions when i'm done testing but it's pretty much what I already listed sans the new dimensions (might slip 1 or 2 in)
should have installed linux for the server

Reactions: bonkmaykr

bonkmaykr

funny floating nut dog
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States

I'm sorry, but why are you using Windows to run a server?

You can use Debian Linux, ditch the desktop and everything and scale it down to be more efficient and make it run faster, on top of that, Debian is less likely to fuck itself. If for whatever reason it does, it's a lot easier to repair because you're not messing with broken tools that don't do anything and you're more easily able to figure out what the problem is. That's not even mentioning the millions of backdoors Windows has.

Take this advice from someone who's run multiple TF2 servers. Please don't use Windows to host any kind of online service.

Before you yell at me, I'm not saying this was the cause of your problem. It's a suggestion to prevent any future problems that might be related.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Crazynoob458

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm sorry, but why are you using Windows to run a server?

You can use Debian Linux, ditch the desktop and everything and scale it down to be more efficient and make it run faster, on top of that, Debian is less likely to fuck itself. If for whatever reason it does, it's a lot easier to repair because you're not messing with broken tools that don't do anything and you're more easily able to figure out what the problem is. That's not even mentioning the millions of backdoors Windows has.

Take this advice from someone who's run multiple TF2 servers. Please don't use Windows to host any kind of online service.

Before you yell at me, I'm not saying this was the cause of your problem. It's a suggestion to prevent any future problems that might be related.

I appreciate the advice. It was windows purely because I don't know how any other Linux-y thing works. It was intimidating enough to consider everything about the server side of things let alone learn how Linux works. But, if it does have that many benefits or just works better, it might be something to consider switching to. It'd just have to take some time to learn where to start and how to use it.

Crazynoob458

That Reshiram
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I appreciate the advice. It was windows purely because I don't know how any other Linux-y thing works. It was intimidating enough to consider everything about the server side of things let alone learn how Linux works. But, if it does have that many benefits or just works better, it might be something to consider switching to. It'd just have to take some time to learn where to start and how to use it.
i have a raspberry pi that i use for a server and it works headless so i dont even need to plug it into a monitor to launch my minecraft server
it also has a script to autolaunch spigot after boot
more advanteages is that you dont need explorer and shitty windows bloat running in the background and much MUCH faster boot time

Last edited by Crazynoob458,
Reactions: Chary and bonkmaykr

bonkmaykr

funny floating nut dog
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States
I could help assist with some of that. All you really need to know is your Package Manager (aptitude in this case) and some basic Bash commands. It's not that different than the Windows command prompt, infact I would argue it's actually easier (but that's subjective).

You'll probably want OpenJDK as well, which is pretty easy to set up, but to someone who's never used a Unix-like before it can be confusing.

I think the main learning curve just comes from learning how to optimize it to a point where it has a significant advantage. Getting rid of the Desktop Environment is already a huge step. Windows wastes a lot of resources on background processes and rendering useless stuff.

If you want a good starting point without any bloat, Arch is good for that, but it's meant for experts.

Last edited by bonkmaykr,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I could help assist with some of that. All you really need to know is your Package Manager (aptitude in this case) and some basic Bash commands. It's not that different than the Windows command prompt, infact I would argue it's actually easier (but that's subjective).

You'll probably want OpenJDK as well, which is pretty easy to set up, but to someone who's never used a Unix-like before it can be confusing.

I think the main learning curve just comes from learning how to optimize it to a point where it has a significant advantage. Getting rid of the Desktop Environment is already a huge step. Windows wastes a lot of resources on background processes and rendering useless stuff.

If you want a good starting point without any bloat, Arch is good for that, but it's meant for experts.

I'm sure a Debian Lite install would be just fine too.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Jayro,
Reactions: Chary

bonkmaykr

funny floating nut dog
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States
decided to play some tempcraft but thenView attachment 273544
that the hell what the hell what the hell what the hell
time to give myself pain and download all the mods manually
UPDATE: i finally decided to try multimc
I'm not sure why Overwolf is so insistent on running on a release build of Windows, considering neither are very stable to begin with and there's nothing about Overwolf that makes Insider a problem.

Sounds broken by design to me. For what reason, I don't know. DRM can kiss my back door.

AAAAAAAAANYWAY, when creating a new Instance in MultiMC, you have the option to import a Curseforge Modpack file. Do that. It'll set up the game for you from there.

Last edited by bonkmaykr,

Baoulettes

The lonely man
Trophies
Website
www.baoulettes.fr
XP
Country
France
Last edited by Baoulettes,
Reactions: bonkmaykr and Chary

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe