#GBAtemp.net - Move from EFnet to our own server?

What should be done?

• Move to GBAtemp server

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay on EFnet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Narin's wondering whether we should move #GBAtemp.net from EFnet to our own server. This would remove the useless bots and give us as staff more flexibility and organization.

Please vote!
smile.gif

Edit: Narin explains the advantages better than busy Sinkhead. Apologizes for the out-of-context-ness, but Shakespeare essay calls
frown.gif

Narin said:
Please do not mention #GBAtemp.TA, as it currently stands, its not on good terms with the GBAtemp staff. It was originally created by Spikey for that purpose, a channel for non-serious chatter similar to the Testing Area here on the forums, but he ended up opping the wrong people who basically took the channel over and banned him from it.

Now the problem is, in the past, it was a bit out of control, the current ops of the channel basically let everything goes, which also included illegal subject matter. While I won't go into details, this has angered a lot of people and basically made the TA IRC channel off limits and made it a bannable offense to even mention it on the #gbatemp.net channel. While things on the TA have been pretty clean lately, it has a little ways to go before becoming a respectable channel again.

At any rate, to get back on topic. Currently EFNET has no vhost or channel services like Chanserv or Nicjserv which poses problems of people taking over the channel, changing their identify to pretend to be another person, and so on. Ops and such are also fairly limited in what they can do. Currently the only options Ops have is to ban someone even for minor offenses. Also this requires us to use several bots on the channel just to keep the channel from being taken over and provide services like auto-ops which normal channel services easily provide that EFNet lacks.

Also if we do move to another server, preferably one at GBAtemp we wouldhave more control over it. We could even tie the Nickserv into the GBAtemp site so you can login into Nickserv using your forum account and password as well as tie your IRC account into the forums. We could also list those currently chatting on the IRC channel on the GBAtemp site as well and have an IRC Java applet as well connected to the channel that people can use from their web browser.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
vhost and nickserv would be awesome.

It was a hell of hard time getting the .net channel working though: I used to come in every few days and for months it was nothing but shaunj66.

I would also be up for the return of speechy, phrog and the other fun bots like that.

Only problem I can see is the worst we can expect with efnet is a few net splits, gbatemp is but one server and with it being hard enough to get here at certain times......

Perhaps a java applet (properly done and not an afterthought as such like we have had for the competitions) given some prominence on the main site would be better.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
irc I double would be hosted on the main gbatemp server, most irc servers that ive seen are never hosted right on the actuals site server. usually on a separate connection, at least id hope that would be the case for this. Depending on how many average people are on the server a simple DSL connection would run it just fine. So the cost for a server to run irc server wouldnt be to much, unless you want to have several of them in different locations.

/me shrugs.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Worst said:
#GBAtemp.TA is the only REAL GBAtemp IRC channel.
Agreed.

With OPs like Spikey and others, #GBAtemp.net is slowly getting killed. I do believe that he's the cancer killing IRC, because he just doesn't treat everyone right. I would go into detail but I've already said the same wall of text over and over again, don't want to anymore.
I've been banned from IRC twice now, once for a stupid reason (I mentionned #GBAtemp.TA, he said no advertising, I wasn't advertising, the others come in and point to other channels, no bans), once without a reason at all. This has also happened to other people. I did suggest to make 2 separate "official" channels, the current one for serious ONLY discussion, the other our .TA channel, and promote each-other. This way there would be more happy users and less people bitching when they see "SERIOUS TALK, OTHERWISE #GBAtemp.TA" in the channel title, and vice versa in the other channel. But of course my idea was rejected by lord Spikey because he acts butthurt 24/7.

This is why I'm not coming to IRC much more when Spikey's around until something gets done.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Please do not mention #GBAtemp.TA, as it currently stands, its not on good terms with the GBAtemp staff. It was originally created by Spikey for that purpose, a channel for non-serious chatter similar to the Testing Area here on the forums, but he ended up opping the wrong people who basically took the channel over and banned him from it.

Now the problem is, in the past, it was a bit out of control, the current ops of the channel basically let everything goes, which also included illegal subject matter. While I won't go into details, this has angered a lot of people and basically made the TA IRC channel off limits and made it a bannable offense to even mention it on the #gbatemp.net channel. While things on the TA have been pretty clean lately, it has a little ways to go before becoming a respectable channel again.

At any rate, to get back on topic. Currently EFNET has no vhost or channel services like Chanserv or Nicjserv which poses problems of people taking over the channel, changing their identify to pretend to be another person, and so on. Ops and such are also fairly limited in what they can do. Currently the only options Ops have is to ban someone even for minor offenses. Also this requires us to use several bots on the channel just to keep the channel from being taken over and provide services like auto-ops which normal channel services easily provide that EFNet lacks.

Also if we do move to another server, preferably one at GBAtemp we wouldhave more control over it. We could even tie the Nickserv into the GBAtemp site so you can login into Nickserv using your forum account and password as well as tie your IRC account into the forums. We could also list those currently chatting on the IRC channel on the GBAtemp site as well and have an IRC Java applet as well connected to the channel that people can use from their web browser.

Salamantis

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Narin said:

My point was the reason Spikey gave me when I got banned, "advertisement".

Also, your 2nd paragraph made no sense. It's a bannable offense to mention .TA because people got angry at the history of the channel (ops not strict)? What about other channels that people linked to? Why weren't they banned with your reason?

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
DrKupo said:
This whole website was built on piracy, why are you complaining about TA being full of warez?
I wasn't talking about warez here, it was other activity that was really frowned upon and well, a federal crime in most countries.

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
DrKupo said:
This whole website was built on piracy, why are you complaining about TA being full of warez?
I wasn't talking about warez here, it was other activity that was really frowned upon and well, a federal crime in most countries.

You mean they were sharing CP there? Ugh, I guess amptor and fischju joined that place

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1