Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
gbatemp_recommends_revivla_logo2_build-1.png
Welcome to the 17th issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This project is a weekly feature where we share our favorite games and applications with you. The things we recommend may be "old school" titles, a Homebrew, a ROM hack, sleeper hits, an application, etc, but one thing's for certain, we think they are fantastic and deserve your attention!

GBAtemp Recommends!

River City Ransom​
gallery_111084_186_9141.jpg
gallery_111084_186_20492.jpg
gallery_111084_186_11387.jpg

River City Ransom is a beat-um-up RPG-influenced action-adventure platformer originally released for the NES in 1989 under the Japanese title Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari. The game stars high school students Alex and Ryan as they make their way towards River City High, punching and kicking various street gangs in an attempt to save Ryan’s kidnapped girlfriend.

River City Ransom successfully infused RPG-like elements, action-adventure platforming, and a good ol’ fashioned beat-um-up, to achieve a unique 8-bit experience. The game features a coin currency system that can be used towards health and fighting power-ups throughout the games various malls and shopping centers. As the characters “level-up” in the game's non-linear world, there are plenty of opportunities to run, jump, climb, and throw, in a minimalistic approach to classic platforming. Double Dragon and Renegade fans will enjoy the onslaught of semi-continuous martial art fighting enemies to beat through, and if kicking and punching aren’t your thing then grab a weapon (tires, chains, iron pipes, etc) and do some serious damage.

River City Ransom did not sell very well out side of Japan, but thanks to is unique take on a beat-um-up and its silly sense of humor, the game is now considered a cult classic. If you have never played it before, give it a try on PocketNES, NesDS, or grab the GBA remake. We are sure that you will enjoy this game which is why we have chosen to recommend it!

Genre: RPG influenced Beat-um-up with Action-adventure Platforming elements
Type: Retail Release
Release Date: 1989
Published by: Techn?s Japan
System: NES

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these articles in the future.

controller.png
Official GBAtemp Recommends! Mini-Page & History

Reactions: 1 person

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
If anyone from our community would like to see their recommended game on the front page, please PM me. i am forever looking for more people to get involved with this weekly project. the more people we have the wider gaming perspective we have.

if you are interested the rules are really, really, simple. submit a topic idea to me so we can discuss it. after we refine it (or i say go ahead and have fun writing it), you will just need to submit 2-3 short spell-checked paragraphs and 2-3 formatted images. thats it!! i'll take care of the post formatting, editing, posting, etc.

an average recommends write up should only take 10-20 minutes. i'm not expecting novels, just fun posts that recommend something we may not have considered playing before.

best of all, you will get credit for your review in the first paragraph and be instantly considered for future reviews!

please get involved and PM me if interested.

-another world

Zerosuit connor

Baby I'm Back ♥
Trophies
XP
Country
If anyone from our community would like to see their recommended game on the front page, please PM me. i am forever looking for more people to get involved with this weekly project. the more people we have the wider gaming perspective we have.

if you are interested the rules are really, really, simple. submit a topic idea to me so we can discuss it. after we refine it (or i say go ahead and have fun writing it), you will just need to submit 2-3 short spell-checked paragraphs and 2-3 formatted images. thats it!! i'll take care of the post formatting, editing, posting, etc.

an average recommends write up should only take 10-20 minutes. i'm not expecting novels, just fun posts that recommend something we may not have considered playing before.

best of all, you will get credit for your review in the first paragraph and be instantly considered for future reviews!

please get involved and PM me if interested.

-another world
A certain type of game? Any platform?

wohoo

Trophies
XP
Country
This game is one of my favourites! Of all time!

Soooo many hours spent into this game. Or any other game from Technos Japan, with these fantastic characters :)

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
A certain type of game? Any platform?

you can recommend any game you want. it can also be a hack of a game, a homebrew, a translation patch, etc. i would prefer that the games being recommended are lesser known or older titles. recommending uncharted 2, for example, is just to easy.

-another world

Reactions: 1 person

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Loved this game back in the day.
I guess I just like hitting people with trash cans and car tires.

The sequel called Crash 'n The Boys: Street Challenge is also pretty good btw.
Maybe a good pick for the next recommends revival.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    bassviolet @ bassviolet: uwu