GBAtemp's Golden Threads Thread

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh noes, the Gateway website is down yet again! Whatever will we do without teh Gateway?! :cry:
I can no longer play teh romz for free! The wabsite is daun.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/gateways-wabsite-down.367951/#post-5033355

BHvl1We.png

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I think the worst part about Ryu's thread (and I mean no offence Ryu...maybe :evil:) is that a lot of what he wrote was sort of...uninformed/biased opinion pushed as fact (or at least that was how it was perceived anyways). A quick example, stating that upgrading a PC ends up being cheaper than upgrading to a new console, or that PC gaming is somehow ruining gaming in general when it's the complete opposite, or saying that gaming was cheaper back in the day, when in reality it was similar/more expensive...etc etc :)

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think the worst part about Ryu's thread (and I mean no offence Ryu...maybe :evil:) is that a lot of what he wrote was sort of...uninformed/biased opinion pushed as fact (or at least that was how it was perceived anyways). A quick example, stating that upgrading a PC ends up being cheaper than upgrading to a new console, or that PC gaming is somehow ruining gaming in general when it's the complete opposite, or saying that gaming was cheaper back in the day, when in reality it was similar/more expensive...etc etc :)
Pretty much. Unless you have the money to dish out $1200+ for mid-to-top of the line PC, you're going to have to upgrade in a few years whether you want it or not if you want to keep performance high. You save a lot of money on Steam Sales, sure, but sales are gradually becoming a thing on consoles as well and you can't really argue with services like PSPlus or Games for Gold. As for PC gaming ruining console gaming, it never has and never will ruin consoles because there will always be a substantial fraction of consumers who just want to sit on their ass infront of a TV, frisbie a disc into a console and play without having to worry about upgrading their system, troubleshooting the OS, fiddling around with custom graphics settings etc. - consoles were, are and will be a viable solution for all those plug and play folks until PC's are made completely idiot-proof for gaming. SteamOS is a step in the right direction, but it's baby steps and it will take at least one whole generation before it enters full swing.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It is an Action RPG though.
Not it isn't. It's an action adventure that, once in a blue moon, has very light RPG elements. The only one that could be argued as an action RPG is Zelda II. Beyond that, Skyward Sword has has RPG like loot system for upgrading equipment, but that's it.

Reactions: vayanui8

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My opinion has not really changed since http://gbatemp.net/threads/zelda-vs-the-term-rpg-august-2012-edition.332154/ though I am never quite sure why this topic draws such strong opinions.
Hearts, items, quest rewards... all that seems to be functionally the same to me as a game where you have fixed level progression, rigid character classes and some minor equipment options within that.

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If zelda somehow counts as an rpg because it has health upgrades, then almost every game ever conceived is an RPG. In order to be an RPG there needs to be customization of your characters equipment, and almost every RPG has you collect experience. (Though there are a few games that could argue against the xp like Monster Hunter) I love Zelda games, but they simply don't meet the criteria to be an RPG.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
A "cRPG", or "Computer Role-Playing Game", simply has to mirror or mimic the rules board of tabletop RPG's. That's it, that makes in an RPG. Zelda doesn't do that, and as such it's an Action Adventure game with RPG elements.

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
A "cRPG", or "Computer Role-Playing Game", simply has to mirror or mimic the rules board of tabletop RPG's. That's it, that makes in an RPG. Zelda doesn't do that, and as such it's an Action Adventure game with RPG elements.

Out of curiosity more than anything else, how closely do you think a game needs to follow table-top games' mechanics to be considered an RPG? Beyond the stat system, I don't think some Western (mostly indie) and mist Japanese RPGs follow those rules that much as they offer little to no influence from the player. You could probably argue that Zelda is closer to D&D since it has a silent protagonist (though that's not quite the same as the player choosing their own actions, but it's easier to put yourself in the role of someone with no clearly defined personality a la D&D than a character with concrete traits) and the player has some influence in the order that events unfold (which temple to go to first, etc).

It's kind of early here, so sorry if this seems kind of like a ness.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could probably argue that Zelda is closer to D&D since it has a silent protagonist

Someone's clearly never played a bard.

(though that's not quite the same as the player choosing their own actions, but it's easier to put yourself in the role of someone with no clearly defined personality a la D&D than a character with concrete traits)

Not to be mean, but have you played D&D? Because this is pretty off base. The whole point is that you play the role of a character. You could play a character without any personality, I suppose, if you really tried, but then you'd be sort of missing the point of it all.

and the player has some influence in the order that events unfold (which temple to go to first, etc).

So do "Choose Your Own Adventure" novels, but that doesn't make them RPGs.

It's kind of early here, so sorry if this seems kind of like a ness.

If you're getting drowsy, why don't you just make yourself a nice cup of tea and- OH WAIT, YOU CAN'T. TIPPED THAT BITCH INTO THE HARBOR!

mCW9WNv.gif

USA! USA! USA!

EZ-Megaman

Likeanator
Trophies
XP
Country
Not to be mean, but have you played D&D? Because this is pretty off base. The whole point is that you play the role of a character. You could play a character without any personality, I suppose, if you really tried, but then you'd be sort of missing the point of it all.

So do "Choose Your Own Adventure" novels, but that doesn't make them RPGs.

If you're getting drowsy, why don't you just make yourself a nice cup of tea and- OH WAIT, YOU CAN'T. TIPPED THAT BITCH INTO THE HARBOR!

Er, to clarify my point, I was referring to how you get to choose what type of character you play in D&D and what kind of person they are. That's not really somethingvyou can do if your character is given a rigid personality. That said, I've only played a couple of rounds, so I admit I don't have a perfect understanding. My idea with the silent protagonist is that one could use their imagination to create a personality for that character. You're not told that your role is x and your traits are y and z in D&D, are you?

Regarding the narrative structure, most D&D games have the DM produce a narrative based on the characters' actions. Has anyone played a session of D&D when none of their character's actions were decided by them? RPGs that do that certainly exist, but my limited experience (and commo n sense, since that's one of D&D's defining traits, with that interaction stuff) says otherwise. I take it as part of D&D's mechanics since that's how (almost?) all of the sessions are structured.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: John Conner was fathered by a Terminator