fababop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi guys!

Just want to verify something. I'm seeing this "theme" when buying Memcards for the Gamecube. Some of these memcards are 128mb, 512mb! However when reading the reviews, some people are satisfied, some arnt = not working at all. And some articles say that the GC can only handle 16mb!? So before purchasing any Memcard. What to I need to look out for? I assume only modded GCs can handle 16mb+ right? Mine is not modded! (it will be softmodded in the future)

Thanks!

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's the difference between megabits (Mb) and megabytes (MB). A byte is 8 bits, so that 512 Mb card is either false advertising or has a bankswitching ability, since 512 ÷ 8 = 64, and the GCN only goew up to 16 MB memory cards.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Yeah I think many of the huge sized cards have bank switching, so you press a button to switch between multiple "cards".....although I have heard many of them are cheaply made and end up not working

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, @Glyptofane and I bought a mega memory card for the psx back when Saga Frontier was released for the original playstation. both of ours ended up failing so we lost thousands of hours of saves. often times, mega memory cards can't hold the capacity they state, as they're like fake micro sd cards where files end up disappearing if you put too much on them.

Reactions: Glyptofane

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, @Glyptofane and I bought a mega memory card for the psx back when Saga Frontier was released for the original playstation. both of ours ended up failing so we lost thousands of hours of saves. often times, mega memory cards can't hold the capacity they state, as they're like fake micro sd cards where files end up disappearing if you put too much on them.
That thing was a real piece of crap. I'm still living with the repercussions.

• Haha
Reactions: godreborn

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
yeah I have never finished FF7 due to one of those cards I was uptown the last disk and it just wiped, I was pressing the button over and over hoping it would just pop up, but it never did :(

I would say look for an official 251 block gamecube card should be enough for any important saves and you could just buy one of the crappy 3rd party cards for games you don't care about loosing the save off if it does fail or if you are sofmodding I think there are tools you can use to dump your saves off onto an SDgecko or SD2SP2

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know there's an app to dump cube saves from memory cards on a wii, but I never exploited my gamecube to know what app can do it on there.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I know there's an app to dump cube saves from memory cards on a wii, but I never exploited my gamecube to know what app can do it on there.
yeah pretty much the same software you would use on the Wii is the same for GC, also looks like its still being actively developed and has SD2SP2 support for dumping saves off the GC
https://wiibrew.org/wiki/GameCube_Memory_Manager

master801

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo never publicly released the largest card. The operating system supports 2043 blocks, but it was only available to game developers.
Even the Nintendo 1019 and 2043 memory cards will crap out and corrupt.

oh wow, didnt expect all of this. who can recommend me a reputable brand of gc memcards?
Just get an OEM Nintendo 251 block memory card.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi guys!

Just want to verify something. I'm seeing this "theme" when buying Memcards for the Gamecube. Some of these memcards are 128mb, 512mb! However when reading the reviews, some people are satisfied, some arnt = not working at all. And some articles say that the GC can only handle 16mb!? So before purchasing any Memcard. What to I need to look out for? I assume only modded GCs can handle 16mb+ right? Mine is not modded! (it will be softmodded in the future)

Thanks!
I would avoid 3rd party memory cards as they have a history of being crap and corrupting resulting in losing all your save data.
Get the official 1019 block memcard, it's probably more space than you'll need.
Even the Nintendo 1019 and 2043 memory cards will crap out and corrupt.

Are you sure about that? Never had any trouble with mine.

fababop

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
hm, bit confusing to be honest. as a final resort, how, or will I be able to make save files on a SD2SP2 which also host swiss & games?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hm, bit confusing to be honest. as a final resort, how, or will I be able to make save files on a SD2SP2 which also host swiss & games?
Don't get confused. If you want to load homebrew with a save exploit, you will need a Memory Card – no way around this.

This is surely a good advise:
The official Memory Card 251 is very reliable and not too expensive (at least it was affordable – didn't check the current prices). It has enough memory for some games.
======

As for this statement:
U can't saves saves to a sd2sp2 or read and use them from it
It is wrong. Swiss can do do Memory Card emulation on SD-Gecko, SD2SP2 and others (must be activated in the settings). I have no idea how good, how reliable and how compatible it is, but the feature is there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT