• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Global Waming's Solution(ish)

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 6,708
  • Replies 88
D

Deleted User

OP
I was doing a bit of research on nuclear winter.

Y'all can already see where this is going. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding something, but would it be possible to detonate a couple of nukes in the stratosphere to slow down, if not reverse global warming?

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Cowspiracy

And stop eating those nasty Mexican burritos. We don't need your nasty Nitrogen and Methan's released into the atmosphere from your rear end.

Last edited by SG854,
D

Deleted User

OP
And this becomes EoF...
So OP, what did you research? On what scientific paper did you see that nuclear winter can hep reverse global warming?

Uh, basic logic? If nuclear fallout in the stratosphere blocks the sun and reduces heat, wouldn't it be safe to say a couple nukes would reduce global warming?

Engezerstorung

Trophies
XP
Country
France
well, as you said, IT BLOCK THE SUN
i don't know, could be an issue?
"hey my snacks never develop fungus because i put bleach in it, such a genius"

But, hey, cow butt plugs will create lots of jobs to manufacture them, move them, install them, and so on... Eh!

Last edited by Engezerstorung,
D

Deleted User

OP
well, as you said, IT BLOCK THE SUN
i don't know, could be an issue?
"hey my snacks never develop fungus because i put bleach in it, such a genius"

Obviously that would be an issue if we were firing thousands or so. But I don't think it's much of an issue at the smaller scale. Just enough to keep the icecaps from melting further.

Arcanuskun

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Uh, basic logic? If nuclear fallout in the stratosphere blocks the sun and reduces heat, wouldn't it be safe to say a couple nukes would reduce global warming?
Then your basic logic and science is wrong. It is not the sun's heat that rises the temperature. It's the greenhouse effect. With what you said, the greenhouse gasses will increase and temperature will also increase like in planet venus.

Engezerstorung

Trophies
XP
Country
France
1 to 2 °C don't seem a lot, and see the implications, it dont seem to be too much far fetched to imagine than variation in solar exposure can also have big implications overall

that's why there is scientist who study things and not just people with there basic school knowledge who think about it on the top of their head

if things were easy to figure out, it probably wouldnt be such a mess

Last edited by Engezerstorung,
D

Deleted User

OP
Then your basic logic and science is wrong. It is not the sun's heat that rises the temperature. It's the greenhouse effect. With what you said, the greenhouse gasses will increase and temperature will also increase like in planet venus.

Crutzen Paul J.; Birks, John W. (1982). "The Atmosphere After a Nuclear War: Twilight at Noon"
Robock, Alan; Luke Oman; Georgiy L. Stenchikov; Owen B. Toon; Charles Bardeen & Richard P. Turco (2007). Climactic Consequeces of Regional Nuclear Conflicts

Youre using greenhouse gas as a catch all term. The kind of chemicals being excreted during a nuclear explosion aren't greenhouse gasses. At least not according to my understanding.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

1 to 2 °C don't seem a lot, and see the implications, it dont seem to be too much far fetched to imagine than variation in solar exposure can also have big implications overall

that's why there is scientist who study things and not just people with there basic school knowledge who think about it on the top of their head

if things were easy to figure out, it probably wouldnt be such a mess

Bull. Most modern problems could easily be solved. The real problem is almost always that it's not beneficial for the people in power to do that.

Take world hunger. We easily have enough food to feed everyone in the world. So why don't we? Simple. People like meat. Meat requires all the veggies we could use to feed everyone. Politicians want people to like them.

Human nature and selfishness. That's the issue.

Last edited by ,

Arcanuskun

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Crutzen Paul J.; Birks, John W. (1982). "The Atmosphere After a Nuclear War: Twilight at Noon"
Robock, Alan; Luke Oman; Georgiy L. Stenchikov; Owen B. Toon; Charles Bardeen & Richard P. Turco (2007). Climactic Consequeces of Regional Nuclear Conflicts

Youre using greenhouse gas as a catch all term. The kind of chemicals being excreted during a nuclear explosion aren't greenhouse gasses. At least not according to my understanding.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Bull. Most modern problems could easily be solved. The real problem is almost always that it's not beneficial for the people in power to do that.

Take world hunger. We easily have enough food to feed everyone in the world. So why don't we? Simple. People like meat. Meat requires all the veggies we could use to feed everyone. Politicians want people to like them.

Human nature and selfishness. That's the issue.
Well I can cite you a more recent study than that one. One from NASA.
https://climate.nasa.gov/news/483/how-would-nuclear-war-affect-the-climate/

To qoute:
Instead of sulfate particles, like you get from a volcanic eruption, a nuclear event produces soot, and that results in very different climate impacts. Whereas sulfate particles from a volcano might warm the air of the upper atmosphere by a couple degrees, black carbon absorbs heat from the sun and can lead to much more atmospheric warming.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/9kE3Env_2AY?si=Bs6lUZ0ZIlqmYaGT