Good Dubbed Anime

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Elitism much (or you just probably trolling like shlong said in the shoutbox), if I watch a cartoon once on a Saturday morning and it's originally from France, does this mean I have to stop what I'm doing and learn French before watching it again to get the full experience?

alidsl

I am now a lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Or we could do what OP asked and list which dubs we like and not argue sub vs dub.
No, it's much more important to get people to convert to the True Anime Fandom.
Exactly, and I stand by my point that watching dubbed and subbed anime ruins it and makes it rubbish + unenjoyable

@Prowler: yes, or else don't watch the cartoon

Reactions: 1 person

bialy_gibson

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Speed Grapher - has one of the best english dubs i know (note that I'm not native speaker), although i don't know if it hits your preferences.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hm. Gonna go down my folder.

Angel Beats (I liked it, anyway)
Chobits
Darker than BLACK
Eden of the East
Fate/stay night
Kanon
Negima (Yes even Negi, he just takes some getting used to)
Pani Poni Dash
Phantom
Shakugan No Shana (it's good, but unfortunately season 2 isn't even dubbed and the subs don't call things by the same name. Drove me nuts)
Shuffle!
Strawberry Marshmallow
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Utawarerumono

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What happens at 180? Filler?

And which dub exactly do you mean, 4kids or Funimation? The 4kids dub was heavily edited for content in the west, but Funimation's dub is unedited if I'm not mistaken.

The 4Kids dub truncated the first season by getting rid of several episodes, on top of that, they chose horrible voice actors. Sanji sounds like someone who's had several heavy blows to the head (brain dead). Yeah, 4Kids can' dub worth crap and often resort to unnecessary censorship. That is the primary reason why I refuse to watch any dubbed anime at all; since I speak and understand Japanese fairly well, I watch the originals (usually fansubs). Generally, they take voice acting more seriously over there in Japan, but over here in the US, they just hire random people to do the voice acting. Worst dubs I've had the misfortune of watching are Pokemon (first two seasons) Kirby: Right back at ya! Digimon (it doesn't help that three seasons used the SAME BLOODY OPENING SONG), oh, and did I mention Sonic X? I mean, seriously, they really need to put more effort into voice acting in the US.

The only notable exceptions are (in my opinion) are ones dubbed by Studio Ghibli/Disney; they hire REAL actors/actresses. I could go on and on complaining how most dubs suck in general. Fansubs are usually have a more accurate translation.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't watch a lot of anime, I stopped being a fanatic when my college friend, a 20 year old man, tried to get me into some shojo show he imported aimed at 10 year old girls. I knew I was too old to bother after that.

But that doesn't mean I avoid the genre. If there's something out there people say is "WOW!" worthy, I go for it. I take what I get regarding voicework as well. But something has only been touched lightly on here, and that's what the_randomizer just said: Studio Ghibli/Disney doesn't mess around with their english dubs. Miyazaki has a contract with Disney that states that they can not cut one frame out of his films, which means they have to be careful when writing the translation, and even more careful casting. This results in star-studded films, with expertly done Dub-jobs. Having seen both, I still say that the English dub of "Princess Mononoke" was better than the original Japanese.

westarrr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't watch a lot of anime, I stopped being a fanatic when my college friend, a 20 year old man, tried to get me into some shojo show he imported aimed at 10 year old girls. I knew I was too old to bother after that.

But that doesn't mean I avoid the genre. If there's something out there people say is "WOW!" worthy, I go for it. I take what I get regarding voicework as well. But something has only been touched lightly on here, and that's what the_randomizer just said: Studio Ghibli/Disney doesn't mess around with their english dubs. Miyazaki has a contract with Disney that states that they can not cut one frame out of his films, which means they have to be careful when writing the translation, and even more careful casting. This results in star-studded films, with expertly done Dub-jobs. Having seen both, I still say that the English dub of "Princess Mononoke" was better than the original Japanese.

Amen to that brother

D

Deleted User

Black Lagoon is a decent show with a dub that's much more enjoyable than watching it subbed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/FdYTKAVSsXY?si=9E-2AU0JN-4hRZi3