Google goes after YouTube Vanced with C&D, project to be discontinued

youtubevanced.0.jpg

YouTube Vanced will be shutting down, after legal threat. The popular app is being discontinued after years of being available on the Android platform. Released first in 2018, YouTube Vanced is a sideloadable Android app that allows users to block ads, skip sponsored content, use a dark theme layout, and other useful tweaks, including bringing back the recently removed dislike button, bypassing the need for YouTube Premium. That combined with its popularity is likely why Google went after the project, serving them with a cease and desist. The Vanced team announced that due to "legal reasons", they'll be removing links to download the app from their website, and work on the project will be discontinued.

Existing installs of YouTube Vanced should still work for the foreseeable future, until Google makes significant changes to YouTube that would render the app useless.

Burorī

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Vanced wasn't just about blocking ads or whatever, It was also for adding small but useful features that took so long to add on the original.
Vanced had a "play on loop" feature long before the original YouTube app had it.

Shubshub

The Shubinator
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
For all the people bitching.
Yes it sucks that Youtube Vanced is being discontinued.

But dont act like its just Google destroying software for the sake of it.
Youtube Vanced pretty much repackages googles code illegally violating ToS
The people at Youtube Vanced thought it would be Hilarious to Mint their own NFT and then backtracked when backlashed with the good ol "uwu it was just a joke didnt think itd be that bad" as if they've been living under a rock the past 12 months

So Google probably took that and went "Here's a good enough reason to make them stop now" and sent the Cease and Desist
Google is well within their right to take down an application that is allowing you to use their service in a way they have not permitted, You dont own Youtube its not yours.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time to switch to using Firefox with ad block + sponsorblock addons installed...

Seriously not paying the amount they charge for premium as at that price it's just daylight robbery.
They could at least include a free movie rental or two, and more quality options for downloads

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
No one really should be surprised by this it sucks personally if Premium was $5 monthly more people would probably buy into it instead of needing to go the 3rd party route. When I had the trial it was so nice not seeing ads though they never really bothered me I don't have much of an issues waiting 4 seconds it's the 20 minute ads that are annoying plus skipping ads have seemed to be buggy lately when casting videos through chromecast.
Between a Ukrainian VPN and my student discount I get YouTube Premium for £2.50 a month. If I just used YouTube Music (which is the main reason I even have premium) I could get it for £1.50. You can probably still get a steep discount without a student email address by just tunneling to Ukraine or another country with a low value currency.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Is there a way to backup the app as it is installed now so I can reinstall it on a new device as an apk?

That way I can at least keep using the current version until google starts to make breaking changes to the YouTube app...

APKs can be installed as long you have one. I suppose a torrent could help you out. The cease and desist was for them and not for you, after all. I wonder on what technicality the C&D was made.

Don't be evil!

They dropped that motto for a clear reason. At least they are passively honest and not saying things like "Trust us, we aren't evil."

Reactions: Subtle Demise

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Between a Ukrainian VPN and my student discount I get YouTube Premium for £2.50 a month. If I just used YouTube Music (which is the main reason I even have premium) I could get it for £1.50. You can probably still get a steep discount without a student email address by just tunneling to Ukraine or another country with a low value currency.
That's actually pretty genius but vpn costs per month would probably equal premium total anyway and I don't have much of a reason for vpn needs.

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
That's actually pretty genius but vpn costs per month would probably equal premium total anyway and I don't have much of a reason for vpn needs.
You can use a free one. You only need to tunnel to Ukraine while you enter your bank details to subscribe. Once you're subscribed you can stop tunneling. I think Tunnel Bear gives you 0.5 GB per month for free which should be more than enough. I'm not sure if Tunnel Bear have a Ukraine location but I know they have Mexico which would get you a discount, although it won't be as much of a discount.

Reactions: K3Nv2

Bubsy Bobcat

funny rabbit
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
One of these days you'll all learn that RSS feeds exist and YouTube has them (for now) and you can use them with literally any 3rd party client, especially FOSS ones that Google can't take down but only play cat and mouse with.

Reactions: Maq47

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: https://torrentfreak.com/one-nintendo-dmca-notice-just-wiped-out-8535-yuzu-emulator-forks-240502/