Google's CEO Berates Apple's Focus

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I was CEO at google, and I kept getting bullied by Apple, I'd just say

"Alright fine, we'll take YouTube off of your phones, we'll take all of our apps off of your store and if you put any on there we'll sue. Afterall we gotta get rid of that $40 billion bank account of yours :3 "
The whole point of this thread is that Google isn't being competitive. They want everyone to be able to use their products, whether they're on Apple devices or not.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
It was removed from iOS, and then blacklisted (right word I think?) on the app store, but it looks like that decision just got reversed last night (wouldn't be the first time Apple changed store decisions).
Not sure where you're getting this info from. Way I've seen it told Apple pulled the rug out from under Google by announcing they wouldn't have Google Maps included in iOS6. They were expecting to remain a main part of iOS for a while yet. As a result they weren't ready with a standalone app hence the delay.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Not sure where you're getting this info from. Way I've seen it told Apple pulled the rug out from under Google by announcing they wouldn't have Google Maps included in iOS6. They were expecting to remain a main part of iOS for a while yet. As a result they weren't ready with a standalone app hence the delay.
From what I know, even in iOS, an app is an app, preinstalled or not. It should have been easy to package the App for redistribution. The issue is Apple wouldn't let them because it'd be a competing program. Or, to put it in fancier words, it would "duplicate features that come with the [device]".
http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/01/05/what-its-like-when-the-fcc-does-its-job/

I would pull up the current guidelines for the exact wording...
https://developer.apple.com/appstore/resources/approval/guidelines.html
But I'm not allowed access since I'm not a developer (don't own any Apple devices anymore anyways).

Anyways that's why they had to rebuild it as something else to skirt around the no-competing rule.
http://www.redmondpie.com/google-ma...lopers-bypass-apple-maps-in-third-party-apps/
(As posted earlier.)

It's still technically competition (as the app's main focus is right to maps), but Apple decided to allow it in this form since they already admitted iOS6 maps sucked and encouraged alternatives, and from what the article reports it's mainly a tunnel to the web interface so it's not a competing maps "engine", probably calling in Safari's rendering for it (like they do with "Chrome" on iOS).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since