Hardware Guide: PSP Battery Recovery (EEPROM Crash)

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Well this past week no fault of my partner but 2 cheap Chinese batteries bit the dust.

Both coming down with exactly the same fault. the battery cannot be seen correctly by the PSP.

The PSP cannot switch on with the battery alone, with the AC Adapter connected it shows Orange Power Status (for only a few mins) and the only way the PSP can be powered is with the AC Adapter connected, Disconnecting the AC Adapter once the PSP was powered up would cause the PSP to shut off within half a second.

Also the Battery Icon in the top corner of the XMB was appearing and disappearing very often, checking the Battery Status in system settings showed that the PSP was being powered externally only.

So, I got to be thinking could it be the EEPROM has crashed in the battery itself? now there has been a few methods of possibly dealing with this but I personally preferred mine as it is Safer, Faster and more efficient.

The other methods was to Short Circuit the Battery for 10 seconds a few times, but as we know that could lead to battery leakage or explosion.

another was to hook up a car light or similar to drain the battery to nothing, this one takes some time and also may not do the trick as lithium ion battery controllers are designed not to let itself get to a dangerously low point and so this may not work so well.

What I decided to do was to take a small craft Knife and cut around the seams of the battery itself where the top joins to the bottom very carefully not to damage the cell or board inside and when I was inside I could see this.

Photo038.jpg

You will have noticed I Marked 2 points. I Took my soldering Iron and freed the 2 points here releasing the Battery's board, and then waited a few mins and then soldered them back there by killing any and all power to the EEPROM like a full hard reset.
(Batteries may vary but look for the 2 metal strips or wires coming from the actual battery to the board and disconnect them)

I Closed the battery up with a little super glue and put it inside my PSP and pressed the power button, and it fired right up! charges and discharges normally again!

Now Im not held responsible for any and all damage done to the battery, yourself, your PSP, your family or your dog from trying this.. but I thought I Would share this. its also worth remembering if this happens often its time to get another battery and if you can afford it and official Sony or other reputable brand one is recommended sometimes you do get what you pay for!

Gabelvampir

Free Mars!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great, thanks for sharing. ATM I still have an official battery in my PSP (and don't use it all that often) but its good to know that for the future.

thesourcehim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Recovered my battery twice using your method, Kouen Hasuki, thank you!
Also discovered what messed battery's board in the first place. For some reason charge over USB function (I mean if you charge via mini-USB port on PSP) often messes up the battery.

Jiro-

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Also discovered what messed battery's board in the first place. For some reason charge over USB function (I mean if you charge via mini-USB port on PSP) often messes up the battery.
ohh thats probably the reason why my battery broke, is draining the battery can fix the problem?

Jiro-

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
ohh thats probably the reason why my battery broke, is draining the battery can fix the problem?

johnmasster

Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
friend you do not see the photo of which to desolder. Help with the photo or explain better I don't understand anything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always wondered how the autobots could afford to do the stuff they did on the show.... now I... +1