Hacking Hackable PS3 models and information

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi.

Is there a way to run Linux/OtherOS via 4.88 CFW?

I'm very happy with my PS3 now and getting used to move files around here and there was easy to get used to.
I've never run linux on my ps3, but I think there's something called asbestos. and, I think evilnat was working on getting otheros working on the latest firmwares.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just remembered that the main linux distribution is called "red ribbon." you may google it. there's also a team, maybe ITA, that's either for linux or dex, can't recall which.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems to require a downgrade?

Much as I'd like to try it, that's not worth it then. Hopefully a Linux distro can be installed on 4.88/4.89 for those that want it.

Best of both worlds.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a ps3 that was already modded but I was ripped off, the console doesn't work properly.

The controller doesn't seem to turn the console on unless it is connected by USB.

The controller won't connect to console until the console is on first... and I know when the console is going to crash, the controller will turn off, when turned back on via USB then the console will crash.

The console will randomly crash, it can be after hours of playing or not, as I typed this I had just turned my ps3 on for today and boom, instant crash.

I had thought maybe it is the HDD as I can hear it clicking when running games off internal (games are my own dumps off games I own).

So I purchased a brand new HDD, but problem still happens.

I took the lid off the ps3 to see if the console is getting hot and that the fan is working.

Console isn't getting hot and the fan is working OK.

Still random crashing.

So I stripped it down to its bare bones to see if it needed cleaning, it was pretty much immaculately clean.

Its thermal paste looked OK too, but just to be safe I cleaned it off and applied fresh paste.

Slapped it back together.

Problem still the same.

I have no idea what the problem could be or if it can be fixed, but I know for one thing, I had been ripped off and bet this was a faulty console that has had a balls up repair job done to it.

Question is, can I fix this, is it worth fixing.

Or is it fucked and what model exactly do I need to be able to install cfw, last I knew it had to be on 3.55 or hard mod compatible to downgrade before installing cfw.

Can consoles now, install cfw over its ofw without having to downgrade, chances are if I buy another console its going to be over 3.55 and possibly updated to current firmware.

Thanks

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a ps3 that was already modded but I was ripped off, the console doesn't work properly.

The controller doesn't seem to turn the console on unless it is connected by USB.

The controller won't connect to console until the console is on first... and I know when the console is going to crash, the controller will turn off, when turned back on via USB then the console will crash.

The console will randomly crash, it can be after hours of playing or not, as I typed this I had just turned my ps3 on for today and boom, instant crash.

I had thought maybe it is the HDD as I can hear it clicking when running games off internal (games are my own dumps off games I own).

So I purchased a brand new HDD, but problem still happens.

I took the lid off the ps3 to see if the console is getting hot and that the fan is working.

Console isn't getting hot and the fan is working OK.

Still random crashing.

So I stripped it down to its bare bones to see if it needed cleaning, it was pretty much immaculately clean.

Its thermal paste looked OK too, but just to be safe I cleaned it off and applied fresh paste.

Slapped it back together.

Problem still the same.

I have no idea what the problem could be or if it can be fixed, but I know for one thing, I had been ripped off and bet this was a faulty console that has had a balls up repair job done to it.

Question is, can I fix this, is it worth fixing.

Or is it fucked and what model exactly do I need to be able to install cfw, last I knew it had to be on 3.55 or hard mod compatible to downgrade before installing cfw.

Can consoles now, install cfw over its ofw without having to downgrade, chances are if I buy another console its going to be over 3.55 and possibly updated to current firmware.

Thanks
Jeez, sounds like you got scammed.

Where did you buy this and how much did it cost you? If on eBay, open a case to get your money back.

As to install CFW, you can do it with any Launch model easily in 5-10 mins and early Slim models. Top Loader model only run HEN.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jeez, sounds like you got scammed.

Where did you buy this and how much did it cost you? If on eBay, open a case to get your money back.

As to install CFW, you can do it with any Launch model easily in 5-10 mins and early Slim models. Top Loader model only run HEN.

It was off a Facebook retro selling/buying group to which the seller was a "reputable" seller/buyer, but hey ho, I got removed and banned for putting up a post about this as the seller seemed to have blocked me when I sent a video of the console crashing on instant boot.

So yea, its clear to me this prick knew his console was faulty and figured while its working for now, best off selling it and get some money from it.... something I hate about retro sellers, then they have the balls to block you off the group so they can carry on scamming people.

Bad enough that money is very tight, unable to work no thanks to having cancer and its fucked my body up, I am like an 80 year old trapped in a 32 year old body.

So I'd like to at least try fix this myself without or is it fixable as I have already wasted money buying a brand new 1tb hdd for it.

Or if it is fucked beyond repair, my memory and brain is slow as fuck recently - so before I go buy another PS3 I will be avoiding the likes of ebay, amazon, Facebook and will likely end up paying more from Cex, but at least it will be covered with a 24 month warranty.

But I cant check the console model exactly if I buy online or in store.

But I do have a contact in customer service who is very helpful and has helped me in the past to hunt down specific items and have it sent to my local store.

So I could fire over an email asking him that I am looking for a PS3 console that must be this model and on or below this OFW.

But I dont know exactly what PS3 model I need to ask for that is compatible to install CFW.

The PS3 I had was on an older firmware which I updated to 4.89 CFW.

Id prefer CFW installed than an exploit FW, I was going to look into doing my sons PS3 which is a super slim, but I haven't checked what firmware it is on, but im confident it will be below 4.89 OFW.

Id assume with his been a slim that it likely isn't compatible to install CFW and will need the other method.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the main system I havent modded and its really just because I dont feel like buying a bigger hard drive for it (yet) and kinda enjoy popping discs in tbh after hunting them down, its a nostalgic feeling all around. I also never owned a ps3 'in the day' I was all in on 360 since multi platforms were much superior on it and my friends also had xbox.

...Also the first of Sony's to be able to go online so I am holding off on that for that. I play COD and BF3 sometimes and dont want to risk ban (unfortunately same PSN as my PS5)

Just want to know quickly, can 4.89 be jailbroken if I want to do it down the road? Im sure by the time I am ready to do it, and retire online play permanently, it will be if it isnt already but I appreciate the tl;dr on this.

and will probably do another update between now and that time too.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
This is the main system I havent modded and its really just because I dont feel like buying a bigger hard drive for it (yet) and kinda enjoy popping discs in tbh after hunting them down, its a nostalgic feeling all around. I also never owned a ps3 'in the day' I was all in on 360 since multi platforms were much superior on it and my friends also had xbox.

...Also the first of Sony's to be able to go online so I am holding off on that for that. I play COD and BF3 sometimes and dont want to risk ban (unfortunately same PSN as my PS5)

Just want to know quickly, can 4.89 be jailbroken if I want to do it down the road? Im sure by the time I am ready to do it, and retire online play permanently, it will be if it isnt already but I appreciate the tl;dr on this.

and will probably do another update between now and that time too.

well currently you can jailbreak it. if you keep it at 4.89 which you should. you be fine.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well currently you can jailbreak it. if you keep it at 4.89 which you should. you be fine.

as long as theres no other updates between now and when I retire online play for my ps3... even though I could probably forego that and always pick up another if came down to it but for now havent been heavily incentivized to do it.

thanks!

Reactions: Marc_LFD and Flame

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What is the most up to date hacking guide for the PS3? I also need a guide on how to use PKGi PS3 on my hacked PS3, it has multiman already and I updated it recently

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is the most up to date hacking guide for the PS3?
There are plenty of guides on the psx-place website.
I also need a guide on how to use PKGi PS3 on my hacked PS3,
PKGi.
Iirc, you need to get a notepad file from the internet that has database links in order to download pkg games. It's not included with the homebrew app (warez), so you need to find it on your own.

Reactions: raxadian

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
There are plenty of guides on the psx-place website.

PKGi.
Iirc, you need to get a notepad file from the internet that has database links in order to download pkg games. It's not included with the homebrew app (warez), so you need to find it on your own.

That's the program not a guide on how to install it.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Rick Astley

The real one !
Trophies
XP
Country
Heyah o/ !

I'm gonna post like the biggest noob since I'm not a Sony player, user or whatever AT ALL. I tried to check fast but i'm lost at the first step so I just want to see the basics.

My friend gave me a PS3 thinking it was dead. The reality is quite different. The PS3 isn't dead BUT can't read disk. I'm not the best at manual things (either) and I thought it would try to avoid the disk reader at first. So i thought "Why not CFWing it ? Could be fun"

But i'm not sure if it's doable. Here're the infos i've gathered about it :
- It's a PS3 with 40Gb (I think since in game it indicates 37Gb of max space) and I've seen a CECH in the serial number. Not sure if it's what's necessary.
- The firmware is 4.21

Is it enough for me to get something without soldering and stuff ?
Thanks a lot o/

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
But i'm not sure if it's doable. Here're the infos i've gathered about it :
- It's a PS3 with 40Gb (I think since in game it indicates 37Gb of max space) and I've seen a CECH in the serial number. Not sure if it's what's necessary.
- The firmware is 4.21
All PS3's start with CECH. It's the letters and numbers afterwards that matter. Based on supposed 40Gb drive, it's possibly phat.

That said, until bguervilles toolkit is available again, now isn't the best time CFW:ing PS3's. Lots of brick prone clone websites. Although, if your console is hackable phat/slim, there might be alternatives for installing CFW without toolset as it is on low OFW version.

//EDIT
All phat units are hackable with CFW, as are some slims. The super slims cannot be CFW:d, but there is HEN option for all PS3's. (HEN=Homebrew ENabler)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny