Hacking Hackable PS3 models and information

Rick Astley

The real one !
Trophies
XP
Country
All PS3's start with CECH. It's the letters and numbers afterwards that matter. Based on supposed 40Gb drive, it's possibly phat.

That said, until bguervilles toolkit is available again, now isn't the best time CFW:ing PS3's. Lots of brick prone clone websites. Although, if your console is hackable phat/slim, there might be alternatives for installing CFW without toolset as it is on low OFW version.

//EDIT
All phat units are hackable with CFW, as are some slims. The super slims cannot be CFW:d, but there is HEN option for all PS3's. (HEN=Homebrew ENabler)

Wow fakes sites ? That seems weird and sad.
I've a phat one 100% (https://i.pcmag.com/imagery/articles/06M5d6qAkj5ah3SQlpmYi4K-1..v1569483791.jpg) <= reference of the PS3

I'm curious now, what I'd need to make it possible ?

Thanks o/

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So my setup is reaady for CFW without any the disk reader. That's interesting.

Just be careful with 2 things:
Your flash type NAND/NOR (check the exact serial of the console and match it with flash type table)
Real 4.82 OFW file - be certain that the checksum matches Sony original

Rick Astley

The real one !
Trophies
XP
Country
The serial of the console was my issue. If it's the letter AFTER the CECH, then it's a G.
But I see that on the website that you use to inject everything, the screen is just about NOR. Should I worry about that ? Tried to read the guide (without knowledge / the PS3 under the hand) everything seems easy and relaxing except that part where I want to be double sure

Thanks o/

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The serial of the console was my issue. If it's the letter AFTER the CECH, then it's a G.
But I see that on the website that you use to inject everything, the screen is just about NOR. Should I worry about that ? Tried to read the guide (without knowledge / the PS3 under the hand) everything seems easy and relaxing except that part where I want to be double sure

Thanks o/

CECHG is NAND.

Rick Astley

The real one !
Trophies
XP
Country
Yep I guessed so based on the illustration haha ! I was just curious if it was an issue based on the site displaying nor injection x_x

Thanks !

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
But I see that on the website that you use to inject everything, the screen is just about NOR.
You should get the choice after opening the website of either flashing NAND (nand482.html) or NOR. The supplied screenshot is from NOR version after the choice. And yeah, G is NAND.

Rick Astley

The real one !
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay so the screen was just an illustration and I'll be safe.
Perfect ! I'll try to give a look at that soon. I'm just trying to see what I could do with it after it's done \o/

Thanks a lot !
Post automatically merged:

I'm gonna double post that but i've an issue. The link for the NOR / NAND writer is down. I don't want to risk going for any random site since I'd tend to trust GBATemp more.

Where could I grab it ? Gonna ping @lwiz just in case x_x
Thanks !

I've seen that : https://github.com/PS3Xploit/flash-writer
But I want to be extra sure.

Well i'm getting an error 8002f14e. It seems to be based on fact that one of my component doesn't work. Lol. Yes, it's for that reason I need CFW

Last edited by Rick Astley,

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm not new to modding consoles, but I'm a little confused when it comes to PS3 with an the different models available. I know some can't be hacked so I feel like I should ask before purchasing.

I've been offered this PS3 for a good price, but I'm only interested in purchasing it if i can use CFW on it! I'm sure someone can tell instantly whether this is hackable just by looking.

Thanks!
received_718943276626868.jpeg

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, I'm not new to modding consoles, but I'm a little confused when it comes to PS3 with an the different models available. I know some can't be hacked so I feel like I should ask before purchasing.

I've been offered this PS3 for a good price, but I'm only interested in purchasing it if i can use CFW on it! I'm sure someone can tell instantly whether this is hackable just by looking.

Thanks! View attachment 355947
It's a 3000 model from the pic, those can't be cfw'd, only hen.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Honesty when will Sony stop updating the firmware of the PS3? Nintendo killed the 3DS and Wii U, Microsoft killed the Xbox 360, just let it go already.

CloudStrife190100

HaxCommunity
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I worked it out but thanks for the response! A friend of mine recently got into buying and selling consoles so he's on the lookout for PS3s with a serial that can be CFW'd!

Thanks again

I have one that's gathering dust behind the TV 😂

Never did bother with it in the end even though its got custom firmware installed

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are they still making money from the PS3?,Like they still have millions of them in storage they keep selling or something? Otherwise it doesn't make economic sense.
Actually, afaik, the ps3 is how we get new keys for ripping bd discs, so it may be a good thing.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one of the early PS3 Slims and I'm wondering if that website is up and able to install CFW through it?

Got a PS3 60GB coming which the HDMI port reportedly doesn't work so I'm wondering if the AV one does. If not, I'll try to a repair store to get it fixed and then sell it.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one of the early PS3 Slims and I'm wondering if that website is up and able to install CFW through it?

Got a PS3 60GB coming which the HDMI port reportedly doesn't work so I'm wondering if the AV one does. If not, I'll try to a repair store to get it fixed and then sell it.
most likely, yes. 2500 is most can, but not all. anything below, yes, but always try minverchk, because you could always have a frankenstein. that is what's suggested. I think bguerville toolbox can also do this if you use it to install cfw.

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland

BGToolset has been back since yesterday (source) and direct link to official new website. OFW 4.90 support in development and testing, but no official releases yet. Older FW's should work ok according the dev.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No I said juicy that's jerky