Hackers charged with stealing over $100m in US army and Xbox technology

djbubba2002

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Involving soniciso and rat superdae from aussie that turned in the ones living in usa, involved in selling early xbox one devkits on ebay and assemblergames.

Indictment unsealed on Tuesday reveals Department of Justice charged four people in international computer hacking ring

Four men have been charged with breaking into the computer systems of Microsoft, the US army and leading games manufacturers, as part of an alleged international hacking ring that netted more than $100m in intellectual property, the US Department of Justice said on Tuesday.

The four, aged between 18 and 28, are alleged to have stolen Xbox technology, Apache helicopter training software and pre-release copies of games such as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, according to an indictment dating from April that was unsealed on Tuesday.
Two of the hackers pleaded guilty earlier in the day, the DoJ said.

“These were extremely sophisticated hackers ... Don’t be fooled by their ages,” assistant US attorney Ed McAndrew said after a court hearing on Tuesday.

According to prosecutors, the defendants stole intellectual property and other proprietary data related to the Xbox One gaming console and Xbox Live online gaming system, and pre-release copies of popular video games. The Department of Justice (DoJ) claimed the technology was worth between $100m and $200m, a figure hotly disputed by one of those facing charges.

The four charged in the US were named as Nathan Leroux, 20, of Bowie, Maryland; Sanadodeh Nesheiwat, 28, of Washington, New Jersey; David Pokora, 22, of Mississauga, Ontario, Canada; and Austin Alcala, 18, of McCordsville, Indiana. The DoJ also said a man faces charges in Australia in connection with the same allegations. It did not name him in the announcement, but he was identified by Australian media earlier this year as Dylan Wheeler, 19, from Perth.

Pokora and Nesheiwat each pleaded guilty to a single count of conspiracy to commit computer fraud and copyright infringement. They face up to five years in prison when sentenced in January.

The four in the US had been jointly charged with with conspiracies to commit computer fraud, copyright infringement, wire fraud, mail fraud, identity theft and theft of trade secrets. They were also individually charged with individual counts of aggravated identity theft, unauthorised computer access, copyright infringement and wire fraud. The charges were based on a federal grand jury indictment returned in April.

The hackers are alleged to have accessed the computer system of Zombie Studios, which allowed them to access a Apache helicopter training simulation program that the company had developed for the US army.

Other targets of the alleged hacks included Microsoft, and game companies Epic Games and Valve, the DoJ announced. It said the US has seized $620,000 in proceeds “related to the charged conduct”.

“As the indictment charges, the members of this international hacking ring stole trade secret data used in high-tech American products, ranging from software that trains US soldiers to fly Apache helicopters to Xbox games that entertain millions around the world,” said assistant US attorney General Caldwell.

McAndrew said FBI officials in Delaware were alerted to the hacking operation in January 2011 by a confidential informant, and that the gaming companies cooperated in the investigation.

Authorities began obtaining arrest warrants last year, and Pokora, who McAndrew said was looked to by other group members as a leader, was taken into custody in March at a border crossing in Lewiston, New York.

A copy of part of the sealed indictment, obtained by thesmokinggun.com in April, detailed the charges against three of the four alleged hackers: Leroux, Nesheiwat and Pokora. Alcala was not mentioned in the leaked document.

Pokora’s plea is believed to be the first conviction of a foreign-based individual for hacking into US businesses to steal trade secret information, authorities said.

The DoJ also said that “an Australian citizen has been charged under Australian law for his alleged role in the conspiracy”. It did not name Wheeler, who attracted attention in 2012 when he listed a home-made development prototype of the Xbox One, which at the time was still in development by Microsoft, on eBay. He was 17 at the time.

Wheeler is currently on bail awaiting trial for charges relating to these allegations. which he denies. He told the Guardian that he disputes the DoJ’s estimated value of the alleged thefts - $100m to $200m - as “meaningless”. He also said that the $620,000 seized was from an act of theft by a single hacker in an “extremely disorganised group.”

“Apart from that, the group made nothing,” he said. “It was just curiosity.

Source http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/30/four-hackers-charged-stealing-xbox-army-technology

yusuo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why is there no manual on how to hack, I mean I don't wanna be as hardcore as these guys but would love to learn the basics of hacking, enough to wiggle into my own network

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why is there no manual on how to hack, I mean I don't wanna be as hardcore as these guys but would love to learn the basics of hacking, enough to wiggle into my own network

"All of computer science, learn it."

More generally I find it is split into two main classes.

1) Those looking for new exploits.

2) Those that use said exploits to get things done.

2) is not necessarily script kiddy stuff, it probably encompasses it but that is but a fraction. For some they would hacking is just system administration gone into reverse -- I might be able to find some crazy bug in an obscure part of the kernel but the time it takes to do that does not matter so much when they left default passwords for root accounts, allowed me physical access to the machine (in most cases a nice bootCD gets me past things) or otherwise did not set up, or even disabled, security in the first place. Equally there is enough of this that learning it and being able to think through/apply it is not a skillset to be sniffed at.

1) is where the computer science stuff comes in. Safe code is hard to write when you are trying to also make it small and speedy, equally safe code does not matter if the underlying logic of your program (or the combination of programs you are using) is at fault.

Also "enough to wiggle into my own network" might be easier said than done. Your home network probably consists of mostly locked down machines, a firewall that is always up on your router, maybe some decent wireless security and few soft, juicy targets. The average small/medium business probably has enough to have a hardware firewall but may well be running various versions of various operating systems (probably held back in case it breaks some critical software -- the 5 hours you spent one evening fixing a game when a driver update broke it is fine, the five hours your entire company could not do business because an update broke it is not so fine, to that end many choose to be careful/lazy in what they update), have nice forwarded ports, a machine on a DMZ, some guest wireless that is not so guest like, unguarded network ports, a nice network driven printer which have all sorts of juicy vulnerabilities and more besides.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Tough charges. But while 100 million in intellectual property sounds like a lot, I gotta say they've got an impressive resume. While game studios aren't exactly specialized in security, you'd think that microsoft and the freakin' US army know how to keep hackers out. :unsure:

Erm...have you tried googling? It only nets about 8.4 million hits.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    you know to help them find their checkbook lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gta4 was NewYork or Chicago, gta5 is California
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn camera phones catching crimes
    Always some women screaming... You break a few thousand dollars worth of crap in someone's living room and they scream lol
    lol Ken yeah the things I did as a kid I am soooo glad those didn't exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If someone breaks my $20 TV stand their nose is getting broke
    Psi would be doing like 300-3,000 years in prison lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Have some in closet allegations?
    Someone tried to pull a gun on me once, they reached into the couch thinking I wouldn't notice, quick kick to the arm snapping it between the wrist and elbow broke like a swing lol I reached into the couch to see what was in there, cool a free .380 lol had to hit him with it a few times to remind him not to do it again lol
    He had the 20K he owed the very next day it was a miracle lol
    Psi was a bad bad man at one point lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We need a GTA based on your life, or at least put you in 6 as a character.
    I don't think people would believe 10% of the things I have done lol thank god...
    I have a giant check list of impossible things, and I haven't done them all yet lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, Was the pot farmer in San andreas
    I tell people I wrestled a 5 foot alligator and they get this smile like this guy is full of shit lol the reality is I am sad it got away.... I wanted a pet alligator lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You live in Florida, so I believe it, you guys are crazy.
    At the time I would have probably fed it people lol
    Seriously cocaine not even once lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not even once, but 100's of times
    +2
    My girlfriend at the time, she had me stay up with her all night because some how the crazy bitch had spent like 12 hours snorting 2 8 balls, didn't use any water (gotta clean your nose) so she had so much crusted in her nose I was sure she was gonna blow up her heart. I mean this was the stuff right off the boat so absolutely pure. ugghh so annoying
    Also doing like 320 dollars worth of coke in half a day lol damn it
    hmmm 360 even lol
    Well I was getting a discount so 320 is probably right
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Well I was getting a discount so 320 is probably right