Gaming Has anyone tried pcsx2?

Arithmatics

I'll be holding on to you. ;}
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
So I just recently found out that ps2 emulation is now possible with obvious bugs and lags and etc etc.

For mac
www.pcsx2mac.net/

For pc
www.pcsx2.net

The latest release is 0.9.8

This is one of the (I believe) top rated emulators to do such a task. So my question is,

Has anyone used it before/yet?

Thoughts?

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've used it, I get a lot of lag (The only game that was playable for me was TS1). But that's probably because my computer isn't exactly a power house.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Lags? Glitch? Currently playing FFX, FFX-2, KH2 & DQ flawlessly with no lag and glitch/bug. Only those video game will make the game flicker or what you call it, which can easily be fixed by changing the graphic plugin into software mode(F9) and then back again when the video ends. If you lag, then your pc needs a better processor. Emulators doesnt need good graphic cards, but they need godly processors. Running windows and the a PS2 emulator are guaranteed to eat up everything. I bet most crappy laptops can run a PS2 emulator with only the launch of the emulator and the game(That means not even having a OS installed). Using i5 proccessor and runs flawlessly. You can also run this game completely on your processor too(software mode) or u can make it dependant on your graphic card too making things like smoother edges and sharper graphics possible(DX9, DX10 & DX 11 if your graphic card supports it/hardware mode). Remember that you need a good processor. If you can launch the game, but have FPS issues, then its most likely because of your lack of a good processor.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
COMPLETED DQ VIII with it. Yes, COMPLETED. That's a massive game but the emulator works perfectly. My advice is when something doesn't work well enough is to change the settings. Mess around with the settings and plug-ins, and try it again. If it still doesn't work, go to their excellent forums, they'll be glad to help you out.

You need a fast CPU, preferable a high-end dual core. GPU and RAM isn't that important.

Arithmatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
So would you say it'll work fine with an i7 core with 2GB RAM and Intel HD graphics?

What software do you use to convert the disc into ISO? (If allowed)

Thanks for the feeback guys. :3

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Arithmatics said:
So would you say it'll work fine with an i7 core with 2GB RAM and Intel HD graphics?

Your CPU will easily handle any PS2 games you throw at it (if configured well, check their forums!)
RAM is not that important, 2GB is enough.
Intel HD graphics, well that's pretty bad if you want to raise the resolutions and textures of the PS2 game. If you keep them native however, I don't think it'll cause any problems.

All the games I played were downloaded straight from the internet.....
If you want to rip PS2 games via your PC, I'm sure Google will help you out.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Arithmatics said:

i7.. You can easily run 2 of those emulators. You can mostly leave all your plugins untouched except the graphics one where you should the best possible DX your graphic card can support(DX10 most likely for your graphic card). I recommend to use Gigaharz plugin or whatever its called to read the games. Never got the standard one to work. Both the standard and the gigasomething is included on the install of the emulator. Remeber you MUST have all the PS2 bios for the region you intend to play in. You need US bios for the PS2 if you plan to use NTSC games from US/Canada.

I currently use DVDfab to backup my bought ps2 games to my computer. DVDfab cost real money, or free if you pirate it and crack it. If you dont want to do that, then use DVD decrypter. It should support 95% of the PS2 game database and its free. Or else you would want to download games in .iso format.

Arithmatics

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Satangel said:
Arithmatics said:

Your CPU will easily handle any PS2 games you throw at it (if configured well, check their forums!)
Intel HD graphics, well that's pretty bad if you want to raise the resolutions and textures of the PS2 game. If you keep them native however, I don't think it'll cause any problems.

One detail I haven't the funds to change as of now. Anyways thanks for the info guys. Ill totally check it out.
biggrin.gif

Tbh I got lazy and couldn't be arsed to google. XD

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a slightly old thread but I had come back to this forum to find a link that is in the first post of this thread regarding the same subject.

The most recent builds which are not so easy to find on the official website are located at:
http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

No stable release yet includes multithreading beyond two cores, but builds since mid-august have had the option as described in the thread I'd come to look for.

FWIW I use ImgBurn to rip my PS2 games for my own use. I was most happy to learn about this emulator because my Playstation 2 console was stolen a year ago and I attempted to buy one last December (as in, I did pay, but it was not shipped to me).

pgimps

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
Arithmatics said:

Not to be rude or anything, but I have intel HD graphics that came with 2500k, but I don't know if his i7 is 2nd gen but I can play all of my games at 1920x1080 and still get 80 FPS. Granted I got 8GB of RAM(free from my friend
smileipb2.png
) and mine OC's it self.

kevan

Imagination rules the world
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sigh you guys have no idea (sort of).
Basically you need 3.00GHZ of power
of any new-ish processor.

For example my Laptop i7 clocked @2.00GHZ
doesn't cut it for stable releases since I can't
take advantage of more cores.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
pgimps said:
Not to be rude or anything, but I have intel HD graphics that came with 2500k, but I don't know if his i7 is 2nd gen but I can play all of my games at 1920x1080 and still get 80 FPS. Granted I got 8GB of RAM(free my friend
smileipb2.png
) and mine OC's it self.
i7 2500K (which is second gen, by the way) has the HD3000, which is quite powerful. The other Intel IGD graphics are quite lackluster.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kevan said:
Sigh you guys have no idea (sort of).
Basically you need 3.00GHZ of power
of any new-ish processor.

For example my Laptop i7 clocked @2.00GHZ
doesn't cut it for stable releases since I can't
take advantage of more cores.

try non stable releases? i've never even used a stable one because i only have one computer greater than 3 GHz and i don't even have access to it (it's 6 hrs drive away at this time)...
sharing the SVN Buildbot was the whole reason I semi-necroed this thread.

enabling multithreading is pretty easy. it's under speedhacks.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, i'm running persona 3 right now on PCSX2 0.9.9.4918 with a first-gen AMD Phenom triple-core @2.1GHz & a low profile dx11-compatible Radeon 5570. SSE2 plugin, speedhax including MTVU enabled.
i get momentary sound slowdowns at times but it's usually in scene transitions or in the save menu, but with the emulator set at the PS2-native resolution i've had a stable 60fps in the fixed 1024x768 window so far. haven't even had to set a frameskip yet, but might have to once i get to any combat. this is way better than i expected. however, without getting to fights i can't call it playable just yet. and i need to go to bed.

i just think an i7 2.0ghz is gonna do a lot better than what i have w/MTVU threading especially since you can use the SSE 4.1 plugin. ghz is not everything when platform is such a significant difference.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
pgimps said:
Satangel said:
Arithmatics said:

Not to be rude or anything, but I have intel HD graphics that came with 2500k, but I don't know if his i7 is 2nd gen but I can play all of my games at 1920x1080 and still get 80 FPS. Granted I got 8GB of RAM(free my friend
smileipb2.png
) and mine OC's it self.
1920*1080. Really?! That's awesome! I'm so jealous of you now, that's superb! Goddammit............
QUOTE(jargus @ Sep 28 2011, 03:36 PM)
i used run 0.9.7 pretty well. when i tried 0.9.8 on my brothers pc ( which has a faster cpu) it was slow as fuck
MUst be some settings problem, there are loads of settings and plugins that can mess your performance up. If you don't understand it all, just check their forums and read guides and so on. That's how I eventually got DQ VIII running perfectly, superb game btw.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah, i recommend everyone to read tutorials on how to set it up properly before using it as it is quite advanced compared to the standard emulators like the GBA/NDS and maybe the P64(Only if you intend to use other plugins not included in the emulator like the HD plugin from some dude).

I recommend everyone that has a PS2/PS3/Xbox360/Xbox controller to use the program MotionJoy as it offers easy configuartion for your controller and supports all the functions of a xbox360/ps3 controller like the sixaxis and the joysticks and those L2/R2 triggers on the PS3. And you pretty much DO NOT have to bind the controlls to a keyboard button, but instead you can just directly bind it to your PS3 controller with the program via PCSX2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: For you @Xdqwerty https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF1sefvrN40 +2