Gaming Has the 3DS already "jumped the shark" with 3D adventure titles?

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah, okay, but how about the lego titles especially the gta-like? (forgot the name) lol. I haven't really played any of it but it's a 3D adventure game.
Then again, it's a lego game. xD

431unknown

VR Gaming Enthusiast
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I did misread it and thought your sentence was incomplete, but even so

the games are good now, rather we have to wait for more open world games or not.

It's been out for over 2 years now and there more than likely will be a successor or an slight upgrade like what the DSi was in a few years ( meaning 3 or so).

I feel it has jumped the shark with what is being done with the 3D right now (it's pretty much useless as far as game play), but that's not to say they may release a game, or 2, or 3 in the future that might make me change my mind. The 3D is nice and all, but I normally just turn it off after playing a new game for about a half hour.

I never said that the games out now are not good. What I said was the games out now make no true use of the 3D other than as eye candy, but I think they could probably change that.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been out for over 2 years now and there more than likely will be a successor or an slight upgrade like what the DSi was in a few years ( meaning 3 or so).

It's more like 5 or so base on the ds, but whatever. A upgrade isn't really a transitioning point like the ds to 3ds.

The 3D is nice and all, but I normally just turn it off after playing a new game for about a half hour.
I leave it on, all the time.

I never said that the games out now are not good. What I said was the games out now make no true use of the 3D other than as eye candy, but I think they could probably change that.
So, you are talking stereoscopy 3d? If so, that is not what this thread is about.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK OK OK

I need everyone in this thread to listen. Everyone who thinks they know what a 3D adventure game is, raise your hand.
Good.
Now 90% of you are WRONG.

Im taking about a 3DS person adventure game where you run around in a 3D (not the 3DS gimmick) environment, with a free roaming camera.
SM64
Banjo Kazooie
Zelda Ocarina of Time

RPGs dont really count, you usually have to go into some sort of turnbase battle system.
LEGO games are uh kinda like that. But whatever City sucks really. I mean its the kinda game in looking for, but its a poor example.

Luigis mansion and Mario 3D land is from a fixed camera perspective. Not what im talking about.

The 3DS should be able to handle games like this, but you dont see many.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I knew from the beginning what you were talking about bortz (you mean something like bubsy 3D right?) jk, but seriously though I agree with you. It's not only the 3DS but the gaming industry in general needs to deliver more games like this.
Let the game be made by a good developer and everyone will pee themselves from excitement. Let a lesser experienced dev do it and we'll have another title like Epic Mickey that suffered from bad camera angles and lackluster level design. The curve going from the truckloads of generic 64/PSX era Super Mario 64 mimic titles to the games you described is a steep one, 2D games or linear 3D titles are harder to mess up.
I hope 3D platformers and adventure games becomes a big focus next gen, there's such a big gap to fill in that area and there are some great things to be made if the right developers are up for the task.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The LEGO game... is not even close to what im looking for at all.

Monster hunter... Actually does a pretty good job of the idea im trying to convey, but its not perfect. Kid Icarus is close, but its still pretty i dont know. Its not exactly what im talking about, but its pretty pretty close.

Uh... those are more like choose your own adventure book games.

Dragon Quest Monsters - Terry wonderland 3D was just released on japan.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced to be localized at Nintendo Direct(E3)

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dragon Quest Monsters - Terry wonderland 3D was just released on japan.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced to be localized at Nintendo Direct(E3)

Its amazing how many members didnt read the OP
antage of the DSs power, such as the Dragon Quest Monsters series and

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why people are having such a hard time understanding what Spidey means... He's talking about a 3D action game with a large, explorable world, like Zelda or 3D Mario or Elder Scrolls. The reason he's wondering is because Ocarina of Time 3D proved this was possible... So why is it barely happening anymore?

I would say that Kid Icarus: Uprising is almost there, but the fact remains that the game is extremely linear and there's very little room to explore the land segments unless there's a room with a hidden treasure or something.

Somewhat related, I would love to see a Kirby game with a Super Mario 3D Land type 3D environment, but with an open- ended world like Amazing Mirror on the GBA. That would be just perfect!

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Its amazing how many members didnt read the OP

Actually, I talked about DQMTW3D because you mentioned DQM series on your OP.

I agree with you that there are few 3D openworld games on DS and 3DS,
and the only thing that comes to my mind is the development cost.

I believe making a openworld 3D game isn't cheap, and developers tend to do these kind of titles for consoles instead of handhelds.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They actually enlisted Muslims, seriously, because the Muslims hates Jews, even tho it was not the supreme race. He claimed common hate, is friendship.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He could've just made them walking shields kind of a dumb ass move
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/3km8bqC lol cd level quality I fucking hope so
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So a man, wifey laying in bed, and man wants sum and rubs on her a little, she turns and says "Not tonight, I have a gyno apt in the morning." So man rolls over, but after few minutes starts rubbing her again. She says didn't you here me, no messing around, I have a gyno apt tomorrow. " Man says, "Well you don't have a dentist apt tomorrow also do you?"
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn I have 8 modded rgh3 x360 slims I've done, I need to get rid of, I figured my family members or friends would want but times have changed. Think I'm gonna stop buying them and modding. Time to Switch it up (pun intended)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yay power outages
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, I'm your friend
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There literally no storms in your area, does it go out alot? You need to just send me your slim n ill rgh3 it free.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or grow sum balls and do it yourself, not hard. More of a pain to jailbreak a ps4 than it is the 360, other than little soldering.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Problem is my dick gets in the way
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea true, would be a pain having that on your forehead
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The chicks love it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Every damn time there's a loud noise dudes car alarm goes off freaking annoying
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Stun gun the metal of the car (door, bumper, etc), you won't hear it again, promise.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    damn accidentally ripped my car cover just now
    happens
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or plant drugs get him evicted
    the one on my other car is all ripped up
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not your $400 car cover :ohnoes:
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There you go, thinking with your "dickhead"
    some day the wind will blow so hard it'll rip in half
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I think in big inches
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @realtimesave Can you sew it back together? Or is it not worth trying.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @realtimesave Can you sew it back together? Or is it not worth trying.