Hacking Have you been banned? If so, post here. Wanna see if we can find the source of the problem.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna look into this later with my other console to see what causes a ban. Start from Vanilla

Considering the past bans we know of, this is happening in waves. You could do something tomorrow, but Nintendo may not decide to ban/revoke the certificate in question for several months.

TR_mahmutpek

medic
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Meh all I've done is booted into RCM and tried to backup my nand (And failed, it came up with an error).

I can't imagine I've done enough for Nintendo to notice.
Yes for sake this post, backuping the nand is detectable for Ninty? Waiting a proper answer from devs/stuffs..

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes for sake this post, backuping the nand is detectable for Ninty? Waiting a proper answer from devs/stuffs..
Everything could be detectable, we don't know what Nintendo will want to ban for, but currently only for downloading from cdn. Everyone should know if you do any modification of your system at all, it could end up with you being banned.

Reactions: TR_mahmutpek

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NAND backup, no. You're booting from a hardware exploit too far up the boot chain for Nintendo to detect anything (it's booted outside of Horizon). You're then launching a payload to dump your NAND. Now, as for launching into hekate, or if Nintendo can read into the Tegra X1 for RCM boots, or "If booted from RCM value=1" then that is possible, but they won't be able to tell what you were doing in RCM or if it was a valid RCM boot (eg. kids destroyed joycon pins and you end up there somehow).

Reactions: TR_mahmutpek

lukhart

GBAtemp Stand User
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
safest bet for anyone who is worried: wait for the scene to develop more (like, give it at least some months). It's temping to do cool stuff as it releases, but it's always more risky... and this aplies to any CFW or modding.

ANTONIOPS

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I have not been banned but I think most bans will be because of downloading unauthorized content from CDN servers, It's impossible to download anything from Nintendo Switch CDN servers without them knowing what certificate is downloading the files, no matter how hard you try to spoof your console hardware ID or OS version, it's f*king useless because we still need a private certificate from a console, and that certificate is only allowed to download what nintendo wants it to download, that's why Nintendo is using this system, they are tired of letting random people download games from their servers for free and they will ban every certificate that tries to do it, now or in a year, and once they ban a certificate... bye bye. the only safe way is to use a certificate from a friend (will be banned anyway) or a secret certificate that has access to every file in the CDN servers but in the end it could be banned as well because mass use. Also forget about generating custom certificates, they are pre created by Nintendo. Right now the worst thing we can do is download anything that our certificates "don't own", it's like stealing from a supermarket full of cameras, security guys will see us and will report us to the police. The only ultra safe thing we can do is download what we have already downloaded with our consoles like demos, system updates or updates from games that we own, purchased games from eshop or updates for cartridges that have been already played in our cosoles but wait, there's more, all cartridges have an unique ID and nintendo knows what cartridge we are trying to download the update for, so if magically hundreds of consoles try to download updates for the same cartridge at the same time or a cartridge with a wrong ID, they could easily flag and ban our certs.

Remember, no certificate = no download, so better wait for other heroes to download the files and upload them to another servers so we can download them safely.

Reactions: TAUSENN

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the past bans we know of, this is happening in waves. You could do something tomorrow, but Nintendo may not decide to ban/revoke the certificate in question for several months.
Very true. I wonder if they will ban a user who hasn't touched RCM, Homebrew and CDN.

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CDN is what gives you games'n'stuff regardless of whether you access it legitimately or not.

It's a Content Distribution Network.

It Distributes Content.

You NEED to interact with it if you download a game or whatever. It can refuse to distribute content though, that's why we have certificates and stuff so it knows what is what and like, "Oh, this thing is allowed to do that."

Now HOW you make it distribute its content with it is another story. You could find ways to circumvent the security stuff and make it give you games for free, or feed it your certificate thing from another device and......uh, that's what the downloader thing did, right? takes your console's certificate, and just gets content from the CDN sent to the computer instead of the Switch? I dunno, haven't touched it.

Anyways... the CDN isn't dangerous. It's just some ways of interacting with it that are.

in summation, stfu about the CDN being dangerous :)

Last edited by Taffy,

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CDN is what gives you games'n'stuff regardless of whether you access it legitimately or not.

It's a Content Distribution Network.

It Distributes Content.

You NEED to interact with it if you download a game or whatever. It can refuse to distribute content though, that's why we have certificates and stuff so it knows what is what and like, "Oh, this thing is allowed to do that."

Now HOW you make it distribute its content with it is another story. You could find ways to circumvent the security stuff and make it give you games for free, or feed it your certificate thing from another device and......uh, that's what the downloader thing did, right? takes your console's certificate, and just gets content from the CDN sent to the computer instead of the Switch? I dunno, haven't touched it.

Anyways... the CDN isn't dangerous. It's just some ways of interacting with it that are.

in summation, stfu about the CDN being dangerous :)
What, I mean we all know it isn't dangerous, but making it send you games is, probably even ones you own, could still get you banned.

Reactions: Taffy

specht

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just love how the anti-hacking crowd just uses the banning news as an excuse to start boasting about how they're morally better than all hackers. What a delightful bunch of people... Anyways this really makes me feel hesitant for hacking when CFW releases. And I really wanted emulators too...

Especially when they seem to learn new words and try to use it to back up their beliefs. Best one I've seen so far was that hardware acceleration will be unobtainable because we can't update our OS... Lol.

Yeah I'm going to hold off on running homebrew with Horizon until there's something like an emunand so I can have a separate instance without my wifi details for homebrew and the like. I'm of the mind Linux will be ok since it boots before Horizon as it's been mentioned. The day Nintendo bans for miscalibrated batteries would be a sad one for sure.

Reactions: TotalJustice

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
....."If booted from RCM value=1" then that is possible, but they won't be able to tell what you were doing in RCM or if it was a valid RCM boot (eg. kids destroyed joycon pins and you end up there somehow).
I don't think adding that flag to anything out there should even be considered legal in my opinion... Because people can mod the consoles (according to EULA only warranty is lost and I'm not meaning hardware mods like chips, but rather improving cooling, changing a broken part and things like that) and if anyone just remove the nand and turn the console ON it will boot to RCM, that shouldnt ever give a ban and if they flag that I hope some day someone go on court and and make nintendo lose.

Even on youtube people literally disassembled the console and shown what happen if they change the nand chip from other switch they own, this should never be flagged for a ban as they did nothing illegal.

Also I would be careful with nintendo accounts, for example I only have 1 nintendo product other than the switch and is the 3DS, I don't even know if I'm banned or not as if I open the store it asks me to update and I can still download games from Freeshop, but using it on the switch probably could also put me in risk of getting banned even without ever modding my Switch...

EDIT:

I had a kinda similar thing with Punkbuster, someone hacked my origin account, changed mail, name, deleted friends and got my BF3 premium banned from community first then on PunkBuster and now even though I got the account back after talking with Origin support, I can't ever buy a punkbuster game which shares the same ID as BF3 (not all games share the same ID) or I'm already banned even before buying the game, so I have to buy those games on a new account which makes me pissed that Punk Buster just said they couldnt do anything about it when I'm the one stolen in all this shit...

Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: Maximilious

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What, I mean we all know it isn't dangerous, but making it send you games is, probably even ones you own, could still get you banned.

Yep, pretty much what I was trying to say.

There were some posts a few pages back that said otherwise. And I was bored.

I also needed a topic for my next blog, which I just got! This is gonna be fun :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol